FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   First World query (not problem!!) - Teens/Parents in J and F... couple of questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2071815-first-world-query-not-problem-teens-parents-j-f-couple-questions.html)

UniformTango Mar 14, 2022 4:29 am

First World query (not problem!!) - Teens/Parents in J and F... couple of questions

Hi folks

Yonks since I've posted - like many looking at travelling again :-)

So, Mrs UT and I each have a 241 to use (the newer version 241).

Looking to book 4 seats next year (me, Mrs UT and our well-travelled 15 and 13-year-old daughters) year to US, prob NYC, Philly or Boston. We've had loads of fun over last few years, being lucky enough to bag 4 seats in F with 241s to a few places and having the CCL and F experience together. And if that's where it ends we have loads of memories! - as it looks like with retiral of 747 fleet and now only only 8 F seats on long haul, getting 2 F redemption seats is best we can hope for - if at all.

We may well all fly in J, especially if we could get the new club suite. But I'm wondering about 2 of us in F and 2 teens in J, as Mrs UT is having a landmark birthday and I'd love for her (ok and me too) to have a last whirl in CCL and F (or at least a last whirl until the kids have spread their wings and we are flying again just the two of us!).

My questions please if anyone has a view:

1. To use the 2 241s, we'd need to do two separate bookings, adult and child in F, adult and child in J.... is it acceptable/normal for the adult in J to then ask cabin crew to swap with the child in F, and for our girls to sit together in J, and Mrs & me in F (our girls would love this BTW.... a bit of independence and they prefer the meals in J!)

2. Regarding Lounge access, do you think CCL would allow all 4 of us access in these circumstances? Otherwise we could of course go to Galleries Business.

Many thanks

UT

The _Banking_Scot Mar 14, 2022 4:46 am

Hi

that should work.

also iirc f pax can guest 1 pax into the ccr so all 4 should be able to access the lhr ccr.

Regards
tbs

Koru Flyer Mar 14, 2022 5:29 am

I am a bit confused why you have adult and child on 241 rather than book where the people want to sit, i.e. the 2 adults on a 241 in F and the two teens in J on the 2nd 241. Is ita 241 thing?

(also I think if you book a child in F and then ask to switch with an adult in J, it might raise the eyebrows of the is he/she trying to get an F seat cheaper by paying a child price and then switcheroo?).

KF

gms Mar 14, 2022 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer (Post 34073713)
I am a bit confused why you have adult and child on 241 rather than book where the people want to sit, i.e. the 2 adults on a 241 in F and the two teens in J on the 2nd 241. Is ita 241 thing?

Yes. They have a 241 in each of their names. The person holding the 241 has to be a passenger on the booking. So they have to each have one child on their booking.

UniformTango Mar 14, 2022 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer (Post 34073713)

(also I think if you book a child in F and then ask to switch with an adult in J, it might raise the eyebrows of the is he/she trying to get an F seat cheaper by paying a child price and then switcheroo?).

KF

yes it’s a 241 thing - an adult has to be on each 241… :-) Avios and tax price is same whether adult or teen, so no saving with the switcheroo (I like that term)

thx

AsiaTraveler Mar 14, 2022 8:06 am

Many airlines consider a minor in a separate cabin to be unaccompanied. I don't know BA's minor rules, but if a 13 year old and 15 year old would not be allowed to travel unaccompanied without paying for extra services, that could be an issue.

JAXBA Mar 14, 2022 10:00 am

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler (Post 34074023)
I don't know BA's minor rules, but if a 13 year old and 15 year old would not be allowed to travel unaccompanied without paying for extra services, that could be an issue.

Not an issue on BA. Parents are still responsible for their teens in the other cabin (including being downgraded to sit with them if necessary due to offspring's behaviour), but no formal service required.

Schultzois Mar 14, 2022 10:26 am

I’m a bit out of touch with BA these days, but despite 747 retiring, don’t they still fly the 777 with more than 8 seats in F?

But for the OP’s scenario, CCR access certainly not an issue as each F passenger can bring in a guest, so 2+2 not a problem.
I also had no problem whatsoever a few years ago with the switcheroo, although myself having been in my 40s and my parents pushing 70, it was a different kind of parent-child situation. When my parents were both booked in J, had experienced some various issues on their way out from PHL to LHR (both travel and personal - my mother had an accident prior and had some limited mobility.)
Being in NCE at the time, I booked myself an Avios redemption to accompany them back to PHL, and all I could get was F 🤣
CCR was kind enough to let all three of us in without batting an eye or even making me ask the favour (I had already told my parents that we may need to go upstairs to Galleries Club, which they had not found very relaxing before, but would have been acceptable). My father did like the golf thing upstairs in GC, though, so he might have actually been disappointed with the outcome!
On board I gave my mother my seat in First, and sat with my father in the first row of CW where we were all not far from each other and I could easily pop up to see how she was doing if I needed. Crew was splendid looking after all of us. The flight was a pretty light load, so not sure if it would have been the same with a full load.
I have a fond memory of that journey - for me it showed British Airways at its best.

Koru Flyer Mar 14, 2022 12:12 pm

Thanks for the clarification, maybe it is a GGL thing, but when I have explained what I actually want, and the solution I have considered. I often get the - oh there is a much easier way to do that let me get approval and all will be good. Not with a 241 but with various GUF or joker situations.

And yes sometimes I get the "that is against the rules to xyz tut tut tut"

KF

UniformTango Mar 14, 2022 2:45 pm

How lovely Schultzois

Schultzois Mar 14, 2022 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by UniformTango (Post 34075268)
How lovely Schultzois

A little off topic to the original query, but relevant to the unique experience… I forgot to mention that it’s the only time in my life I’ve boarded through door 1R as opposed to 1L or 2L. They had kept us all together and it was clear that on an off-stand boarding she was not suited to walking up all those stairs. A usual ramp would not have been a problem, especially with wheelchair assistance.

Now that I remember more, one of the reasons I remember that their outbound from PHL to LHR was such a problem was that despite mobility assistance being requested, a last minute move to an off-stand arrival basically forced her to walk down all those stairs to get on a bus. I don’t know what the protocols are for whatever the lift they use are, which would have saved her making an already bad condition worse, but that was never offered to her for the arrival in LHR.

When I learned about it, I had some serious words both with BA and with the ground handling for mobility assistance, and they all took it sufficiently seriously to convince me that (1) those in charge really didn’t know how any of this works for most passengers (!), and (2) they committed to doing better for us the next time, which they did.