Wiki Posts
Search

Cape Town from LHR. Which terminal?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Cape Town from LHR. Which terminal?

Currently Cape Town departures are scheduled to leave from T5. Historically I believe were from T3. Is anyone able to clarify if they were from T3 just before the pandemic or whether they had moved back to T5 for longer, before the pandemic?
I'm looking to book MAD->LHR->CPT return flights for November (saves about £1600pp in J). Currently Iberia is letting me book a transfer at T5 of exactly 1 hour, which is tight but should be doable. However if there's a risk the CPT flight gets moved to T3 then I'll go for a longer transfer.
Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You might want to watch this thread.
List of BA flights from T3
BA has already announced a lot of moves for summer but iirc CPT has not been among them as is still T5.
danmushman likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 2:27 pm
formerly Christopher Sutton

Programs: BA Silver
I’m booked next January and it’s stating T5.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:27 pm

I might be wrong, but I think CPT swapped from T5 to T3 after Virgin stopped the CPT route. Now that Virgin will be returning to CPT, BA might think there's a competitive advantage with CPT from T5?

Post-Covid, CPT must relatively be more important to BA than it was pre-Covid: it's higher-yielding due to capacity cut from a 747 to a 777, and if business travel remains suppressed, the premium leisure market becomes more important. All reasons for it to stay in T5.
danmushman likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SurreyFlightPath
I’m booked next January and it’s stating T5.
I can see they're currently assigned to T5, but just worried they'll be reassigned in future.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:21 am

OT as far as T3 / T5 is concerned, but personally I would not consider a one-hour connection time given that there is a good chance the LHR - CPT will depart from the C gates.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by danmushman
However if there's a risk the CPT flight gets moved to T3 then I'll go for a longer transfer.
If LHR-CPT is moved to T3, and all scheduled times remain the same, then your connection will become illegal and you will get rebooked then (and it'll almost certainly just be a case of rebooking the MAD-LHR to an earlier flight). So if you've got reasons for picking and being happy with a 60-minute connection T5-T5, then why not just book it and see what happens?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If LHR-CPT is moved to T3, and all scheduled times remain the same, then your connection will become illegal and you will get rebooked then (and it'll almost certainly just be a case of rebooking the MAD-LHR to an earlier flight). So if you've got reasons for picking and being happy with a 60-minute connection T5-T5, then why not just book it and see what happens?
The main benefit is that the inbound flight with 1hour transfer is currently scheduled as an A350 which is much more comfortable than the BA/IB CE/Business seats. (Bearing in mind we would have already travelled LHR->MAD in economy that day).
With schedules as they are and unpredictable equipment changes 8 months in advance, I think I'll play it safer and opt for the just under 2h transfer instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.