Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA delays resumption of Tokyo flights to late October 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2022, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Re-accommodation options

If your flight to/from Tokyo has been cancelled and you still wish to travel you will be re-accommodated on Japan Airlines. Alternatively, you are entitled to a full refund.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA

I have used a 241 (after it being cancelled multiple times) BA007 depart 5 July 2022 return BA006 26 July 2022.

The actual 241 expires August 2021 so if I cancel the flight i will probably lose the 241 based on the new rules of not being able to obtain an FTV for avios redemption.

Has BA cancelled BA007 as i cannot find it when doing a cash booking search.

I will probably not be able to fly anymore due to a change in circumstances as the mrs is expecting and so it would be preferable for me if BA cancel which will allow me to rebook for any date up to 1 year (Is this correct?).

Many factors may play a part including whether Japan opens its borders for tourists by July but I also wanted to ask if BA do cancel BA007 I assume they would attempt to rebook onto BA005 automatically. Can I refuse or request that this does not happen?
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
It looks like BA7 is cancelled, but if you access Manage My Booking on BA.com it should show you if the flight really is cancelled. If any flight is cancelled you can ask for a full refund or change of dates. If your 241 is expired at that point this may be an issue.

Not sure what the chances are of Tokyo flights coming back any time soon.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsinsyd
Lack of B777s
I thought both the BA7 and BA5 were both going to be operated on.787s. Take the 7pm JAL option from Heathrow, if you can for a different level of service, including in economy, and a good afternoon arrival time into Tokyo. Although I realise that flight is not an option on the 241.
I hope Japan opens up soon. BA might need to use the 77Ws on a double daily service with the pent up demand.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Door5L
I thought both the BA7 and BA5 were both going to be operated on.787s. Take the 7pm JAL option from Heathrow, if you can for a different level of service, including in economy, and a good afternoon arrival time into Tokyo. Although I realise that flight is not an option on the 241.
I hope Japan opens up soon. BA might need to use the 77Ws on a double daily service with the pent up demand.
the original article is from 2014. There were no 787-9.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
So my Flight BA0007 has been cancelled for May. It’s a rebooking of a booking from last year using a now expired Companion voucher. It won’t let me rebook online (says no availability)

Do I have to just accept my companion voucher is dead in the water? If so seems a bit unfair that I could have cancelled for an FTV a while back and it would have been extended!
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I’m booked on BA5 (also for May) and have just been formally notified of cancellation.

MMB page invites me to call for re-book options (no online facility currently available ) ; but no urgency necessary on my part ….. at least not until there is some measure of clarity from Japanese Govt on an opening date for leisure visitors.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Question Tokyo Route Cancellation & Companion Voucher Reuse Options

Hi
BA today have cancelled our Tokyo flights for May. Not a huge surprise as Japan still closed to tourists & looks like a big cancellation from them on this route with no BA metal flying until November as far as I can see.
We are booked in J using companion voucher that is due to expire in November this year (already with a 6 mo extension). These flights were originally booked in Aug 2020 with premium voucher earned in May 2020 for Tokyo 2021 Olympics, then postponed to May 2022 when those flights / tourists at games cancelled. The booking looks like Frankenstein with no less than 6 cancelled flights archived in it!
Would appreciate advice on what our best options are here. At the moment we are being shown rebooking options in the booking for any flight of our choice, but nothing available until November. Ideally we want to keep the ability to use this expiring companion voucher on flights - either to Tokyo or another destination. We realistically will not use voucher before its current expiry as we have paid bookings later this month and in September.
Are we best to wait 6-8 weeks (i.e. almost up until original departure date), and hope that BA metal Tokyo flights get put on schedule for March/April then ask to move our booking to those dates? Might we be offered a change of destination with no restrictions on availability?
I am currently a gold with zero tier points, but our paid-for flights will see me retain gold with an 8 October renewal this year.

Would love suggestions & recommendations for how to handle the cancellation.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:06 am

I should add - the flights we were booked on I think had at least one sector with no Avios availability but the cancellation of prior flights allowed us to then select any flight we wanted, regardless of Avios availability in J. I presume the same will apply again.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
There’s another thread on this admittedly with no more information but maybe worth merging to avoid duplication of effort.

BA007 Cancelled?

I know the alternative destination is going to be within 300 miles (500 at supervisors discretion) up to 3 days before or 14 days after original departure.

Id wait and see what materialises. There will possibly be alternative carrier options if of course Japan opens up.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:24 am

Thank you! Will add my comments there & consider this thread closed
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:26 am

We are in the same boat. Booked in J using companion 241 that is due to expire in November this year (already with a 6 mo extension). These flights were originally booked in Aug 2020 with premium voucher earned in May 2020 for Tokyo 2021 Olympics, then postponed to May 2022 when those flights / tourists at games cancelled. The booking looks like Frankenstein with no less than 6 cancelled flights archived in it!
Would appreciate advice on what our best options are here. Ideally we want to keep the ability to use this expiring companion voucher on flights - either to Tokyo or another destination. We realistically will not now use voucher before its current expiry as we have paid bookings later this month and in September.
Are we best to wait 6-8 weeks (i.e. almost up until original departure date), and hope that BA metal Tokyo flights get put on schedule for March/April then ask to move our booking to those dates? Might we be offered a change of destination with no restrictions on availability?
I am currently a gold with zero tier points, but our paid-for flights will see me retain gold with an 8 October renewal this year.

Like the poster above, no urgency on my part, just really keen to understand what options people with expiring companion vouchers have been offered in similar situations where BA is doing the cancelling.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:27 am

Also - I'm struggling to interpret the FTV acronym, if anyone is able to enlighten me! Thanks so much
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:39 am

This cancellation may be due more to the Russia/Ukraine situation than Covid. Maybe BA didn't want to do this option that JAL is moving with:

https://onemileatatime.com/news/japa...-route-london/
Old Mar 9, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cancel to FTV, which should then be refunded in due course and the 241 extended to Sept 2023
Old Mar 9, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SilverLining
Also - I'm struggling to interpret the FTV acronym, if anyone is able to enlighten me! Thanks so much
Future Travel Voucher

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.