I've Bought a Boat

Old Mar 8, 22, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I've Bought a Boat

Well, I've bought boat.

Been gold for a few years and realised I was getting obsessed. I HAD to retain status, I HAD to maximise the avios, I HAD to maximise the tier points.

Through that time I think I've seen (not limited to):
  1. reduction in leg room in most cabins
  2. reduction in elbow room in most cabins
  3. reduction in catering in most cabins
  4. removal of catering for economy short haul
  5. removal of beverages for economy short haul
  6. introduction of buy on board
  7. many increases of 'tax' for redemptions
  8. increases in the avios cost of flights
  9. no more flower in the FIRST loo
  10. no more centre table in CE
  11. introduction of HBO
  12. removal of access to cancel / refund avios bookings
  13. reduction of CE meal quality to previous economy quality (as experienced on comair, maybe BA were never that good?)
  14. no more amuse bouche in FIRST
  15. removal of tesco avios earning
Then the pandemic hit and we all travelled a lot less. I got around to finally taking my day skipper exams and properly learning to sail. I never did before because any time I had off I had to earn avios, tier points etc going to cities I don't like on flights that aren't fun.

It's been a revelation. Not worrying about whether the lounge in Prague still open or not. Picking Malta over Rome because I get more tier points.

A whole new adventure has started, the challenge of route planning, weather reports, tidal charts etc. I heartily recommend taking stock and thinking about what you fly for. I am lucky that I travelled a fair bit and have seen a lot of the world but maybe I also need to thank BA for showing me that there's more to do in life than just sit in a plane earning miles so I can do it again.

Oh, and sailing around the Isle of Wight, drinking fine wine on the back of your own boat, watching sunsets etc. That's good too.

I'll still fly but no longer brand loyal or even needing to fly anywhere near as often. As ever, YMMV
Old Mar 8, 22, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Can I be ther first to ask.. Can I have a go on your boat?
Kgmm77, volabam, squawk and 9 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 22, 8:52 am

Programs: Lowly blue, sometimes Bronze
I have a boat. Welcome to the world of bills
Old Mar 8, 22, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer View Post

I'll still fly but no longer brand loyal or even needing to fly anywhere near as often. As ever, YMMV
Welcome to my world....although I'm not too keen on boats to be honest. Prefer a bicycle.
Crampedin13A and 36902BRF like this.
Old Mar 8, 22, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by OddJobMan View Post
Can I be ther first to ask.. Can I have a go on your boat?
Next Do.
squawk, LSunbury and OddJobMan like this.
Old Mar 8, 22, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
It is a great boat for a 'do' so who knows, maybe!

And yes, bills....plenty of bills but for me it's worth it
Old Mar 8, 22, 9:32 am

Unless you are very rich, owning a boat will remove your ability to fly in anything other than Y with an occasional once in a lifetime trip in premium economy!

You may find a stiff breeze around the needles bracing too!
RJD1983, FFlash and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 8, 22, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard, Amazon Prime
Sounds good. Except I get very sea sick.
vanmunchen likes this.
Old Mar 8, 22, 10:12 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
Unless you are very rich, owning a boat will remove your ability to fly in anything other than Y with an occasional once in a lifetime trip in premium economy!

You may find a stiff breeze around the needles bracing too!
All depends on your boat...

Our old clunker can get us to France quite happily from Devon. Sleep 6 (8 at a push) and still affords us the "luxury" of being able to fly J etc on holidays. Good timing on an odd thread as it reminds me I have 7 harbour tickets pay for to keep the fleet legal
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 8, 22, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Absolutely splendid! I can’t sail but there’s nothing quite like messing about in boats. Enjoy and I’m sure you won’t miss BA except in the unlikely event you hear around these parts that it’s rediscovered its mojo
jonkx likes this.
Old Mar 8, 22, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
As a sailor and former boat owner, I heartily subscribe to the adage that, if it flies or floats, it's cheaper to rent!
Old Mar 8, 22, 11:40 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
As Covid hit, we were the proud new owners of a camper (bought second-hand so not excruciatingly expensive) and it has proved a lifesaver.

Our status extensions are still in place for about another 12 months, but having done most of the destinations and lounges we wanted to visit, we no longer feel any great pressure to accumulate TPs & Avios. The ease of throwing some stuff in the back and just driving off is deeply seductive

Good luck with the boat OP, hope it gives you years of pleasure...
Old Mar 8, 22, 11:45 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
As someone that is generally seasick on boats, this does sound the same to me as standing in a cold shower, during an earthquake, while tearing up Ł50 notes.

But if it makes you happy, congratulations
NoY, clkc86 and redpalmetto like this.
Old Mar 8, 22, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, TK Elite, Star Alliance Gold
Congratulations skipper
Old Mar 8, 22, 11:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by CT-UK View Post
Our old clunker can get us to France quite happily from Devon. Sleep 6 (8 at a push) and still affords us the "luxury" of being able to fly J etc on holidays. Good timing on an odd thread as it reminds me I have 7 harbour tickets pay for to keep the fleet legal
Have you looked into becoming a boat captain for English Channel crossing swimmers? There are many more swimmers than the supply of boats (and boat captains). A good boat captain can make some nice extra money...
Even for the OP (or anyone else with a craft that can make the crossing), if you are interested, I'd highly recommend doing this.

I sometimes wish I didn't have to fly... I did some road trips in 2020, and it was nice to actually see things up close, versus from 30,000 feet up, and be able to stop when I wanted to. It did take a bit longer than flying though.
becks1 likes this.

Search this Thread