Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally made it

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 5:17 am

Well it is often said adversity in life makes you appreciate the good things when they come along. Maybe a few more of us should follow your example in long haul economy! Enjoy your trip to New York and as you say at least you can use the lounges.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
I am almost ashamed to say that I have just booked my first long-haul economy in many years. Only New York, so barely "long haul" at all, and Ł900 for flights and 4 nights in a highly-rated midtown hotel was too good to miss. I am treating it as an adventure.

………………. And I can eat in the lounge so won't be relying upon the Nutrigrain bar and cup of water (or whatever BA serves in economy these days).
My use of BA is mostly confined to their s/haul services these days for obvious reasons, but hey this looks such a great deal that it almost tempts me into something similar. For a (relatively) short sector, any catering disappointments can be better managed if down the back - not least given the huge fare savings, freeing up serious cash to be spent on good things once actually in NYC.

Not sure how representative my search was, but a cursory check of dates for April (avoiding Easter) brought up a 4 day trip at the very same cost as you quote for your own ….. BUT if switching the cabin from Y to J, the price rises meteorically to around x 7 ….. 😳😳
Never mind eating in the lounge, ……. with such a mega price saving, I reckon I would head for a seat at the T5 seafood / caviar bar ahead of departure !
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
Not sure how representative my search was, but a cursory check of dates for April (avoiding Easter) brought up a 4 day trip at the very same cost as you quote for your own ….. BUT if switching the cabin from Y to J, the price rises meteorically to around x 7 ….. 😳😳
That was precisely my experience.

I had a sudden urge to go to New York for Pride weekend, at the end of June. Packages on BAH were coming up at around Ł4,000 or more, which would have been a ridiculous amount to spend on a frivolous weekend away sandwiched between two "proper" holidays. I had kind of resigned myself to not going, and then suddenly remembered that there are classes other than business class. And 7 hours in a World Traveller seat isn't unbearable - I have a train journey of a similar length coming up next week.

If you're tempted to do the same, bear in mind that the prices on BAH exclude the so-called "resort fees", which can be around $40 per night. And some of the cheapest hotels on BAH, even some of the big names, get quite poor reviews online.

And, to get this back on track, the benefits that come with my Gold status dull the pain of economy class travel very significantly indeed.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Good points there, thanks Misco60 - not least that of ‘resort fees’ where relevant, and duly noted.

Yes, Gold benefits are a key factor and from my perspective have meant that ET is always so much better value (barring occasional fare quirks), than CE. I guess it’s a matter of personal experimentation to see whether a sector of around 6 hours approx in the cheap seats could be (almost …. ?!) as tolerable as typical s/h durations of, say, 1 to 3
Old Mar 9, 2022, 11:51 am

I'm also a newly qualified GCH, and am using a reward flight from LHR to EDI in CE tomorrow.

Now I'm HBO, so have the boarding pass already. But do I go through the fast track security at T5 where I've been going through as a Silver, or if I want to see what the First wing is like, do they have a security channel there I could use?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
I'm also a newly qualified GCH, and am using a reward flight from LHR to EDI in CE tomorrow.

Now I'm HBO, so have the boarding pass already. But do I go through the fast track security at T5 where I've been going through as a Silver, or if I want to see what the First wing is like, do they have a security channel there I could use?
As a GCH you can use the First Wing regardless of whether you have bags to check or not and regardless of whether you’ve OLCI or not. And yes there is a separate security lane inside the First Wing.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
As I may have mentioned earlier in the thread, reached Gold last weekend and had a trip to Rome planned for the beginning of next week which would give Mrs B and I our first opportunity to use Galleries First at LHR.
Aah how the mighty have fallen lying here in my sick bed, after 2 years COVID has struck , so Rome no more at least not for the moment.
So now it’s May and a trip to London before I get the chance to take advantage of that bright shiny virtual Gold thing.
Stay well everyone B,
This is not a sad story but one of hope that there will be a BP with Gold on it.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by BESTEDIFLYER
As I may have mentioned earlier in the thread, reached Gold last weekend and had a trip to Rome planned for the beginning of next week which would give Mrs B and I our first opportunity to use Galleries First at LHR.
Aah how the mighty have fallen lying here in my sick bed, after 2 years COVID has struck , so Rome no more at least not for the moment.
So now it’s May and a trip to London before I get the chance to take advantage of that bright shiny virtual Gold thing.
Stay well everyone B,
This is not a sad story but one of hope that there will be a BP with Gold on it.
Hi,

Ouch! What awful timing! Hope you get better soon.

Regards

TBS
BESTEDIFLYER likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
After a dozen or years of BAEC membership, I have finally joined the high echelon of a GCH. So, as well as the BAEC benefits, what are the FT benefits? 😀
Well, I've only gone and done it too! 1,180 TPs with two further flights booked before year end on 8th July.

I only started flying again in February of this year and, what with health check apps, multiple cancellations, lounge closures and airport queues, it's been a very challenging time! So, I really appreciate the countless helpful threads on FlyerTalk and, in particular, the information and advice that corporate-wage-slave , KARFA and so many others provide. I'd also like to single out HIDDY for keeping everyone's feet on the ground, metaphorically at least!
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Thumbs up

Have booked my first TP run in early August, so will finally reach Gold after that (scraping through with 1130 TPs). Have several flight booked thereafter and will be looking forward to exploring benefits it brings.
TedToToe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.