Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet2 Optional Face Masks - will BA follow?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Originally Posted by xenole
As for airlines and their efficient purification systems, I'll treat those systems in the same way as "we've thoroughly cleaned and sanitised your aircraft for your wellbeing and safety" etc.

This is an air vent above the overhead lockers on a BA A320 NEO.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Exsilver
This is an air vent above the overhead lockers on a BA A320 NEO.
No doubt more effective than the closed window at the Kings Head on a Six Nations day
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
I can, unfortunately, see the rationale on ‘simplification’. US stills requires masks on flights and LHR still requires masks at all times.
Is LHR the only non healthcare setting in England which requires masks indoors now? Madness.
NoY, bakera, squeeler and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by paulaf
Is LHR the only non healthcare setting in England which requires masks indoors now? Madness.
Masks are still required at LCY and this is usually strictly enforced at the terminal entrance.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Saladman
Though they may not have all been used yet. We've got about 100 tests in boxes at home, which are yet to be used. (And now the mandatory requirement to self isolate has gone, it's unlikely they will be).

As a family of four, we've done 100's of lateral flow tests, but the only ones we've registered are the three positive PCR tests. Never registered a lateral flow and I don't actually know anyone who ever has? This sounds similar to the situation described in Germany. Whilst there may be slight differences, it's certainly not enough to cause a 9x positivity rate. It's purely down to where they are in the 'wave' that's all.
I really don't understand this. We're a family of 5. Our kids have *never* done a test; I think my wife has done 2. I've done 1.

The tests aren't free. They are being paid for by taxes. Let's also consider the environmental impact of single-use plastics as well.
Stormbel and Silver Fox like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Okrib
Let's also consider the environmental impact of single-use plastics as well.
And single use surgical masks. How often are we supposed to change masks on a flight?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:17 am

I had to go through the LGW arrivals hall yesterday (for a PCR test) and I would estimate 50% of people were wearing a mask.
LETTERBOY and RockyRobin like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I really don't understand this. We're a family of 5. Our kids have *never* done a test; I think my wife has done 2. I've done 1.
Some people do it as a courtesy to the people they are going to meet. Check that they aren't positive before mixing. It's not so much of issue now that most are vaccinated and the symptoms of Omicron are generally mild anyway.

I still have to do an LFT to visit my mother in her care home. They are very strict - and haven't had an outbreak.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)

The tests aren't free. They are being paid for by taxes. Let's also consider the environmental impact of single-use plastics as well.
Haven't we had 11 months of school aged children being encouraged, if not mandated to do twice weekly tests, as well as staff at schools (and other places of work)? I don't see stockpiling this number of tests as a boast, but rather being prepared/having a robust supply of what's required to enable you to go about your life, based on the guidance, especially when for days or weeks, depending on your area, this supply chain would fall over and literally not be able to deliver... I count myself fortunate to have only done maybe 30 LFD tests and a handful of PCRs...
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yesterday morning was the first time since mid March 2021 that did not have to a lateral flow test (and report it). A large chunk of the NHS - the UK's biggest employer - care home staff and key government workers have had to test every day they are at work. Almost all of these tests would be negative, I've not had a single positive result in over 300 reported tests.
paulaf, MiraculousM, DaveS and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Wink

Sorry, I'm not sure which bit don't you understand? Three out of the four of us work in jobs where we are required to test regularly for work. (As an example, one of my children is a secondary school teacher).

I am aware they are not free and believe me none of us would have done them if we were not required to. The same with masks. I no longer wear one in any setting voluntarily and only wear one where I am mandated to (when flying seems to be the only thing left). I no longer test as again we are not required to so we have a large amount left over.

I suppose we could have not done the tests and just accepted the consequences, but with energy prices going up I feel that keeping a regular source of income is probably a good thing!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by paulaf
It is a gamble yes as could also turn customers away.
it could also find them a lot of new customers. We’ve not flown anywhere for the last two years and vowed not to again whilst masks were mandatory.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
I'd have thought masks would go in airports before they go on aircraft.
At least to some extent, the two are part of the same order. So it seems like (in the US) this is going to be an all-or-nothing move.

That said, at least in the US I've been anticipating a full-on enforcement collapse to happen in various areas at some point (e.g. Texas and Florida) or for the FA union to announce that they're going to stop repeatedly asking pax to put on their masks and just refer the matter "up the chain" (so as to get the FAs out of the line of fire).
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by bakera
it could also find them a lot of new customers. We’ve not flown anywhere for the last two years and vowed not to again whilst masks were mandatory.
This is me. Am not shelling out that amount of money to be masked up, am just not. Going forward, airlines where masking is optional will get my business.
bakera, JimEddie, squeeler and 5 others like this.

Last edited by skipness1E; Mar 4, 2022 at 3:08 pm
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yesterday morning was the first time since mid March 2021 that did not have to a lateral flow test (and report it). A large chunk of the NHS - the UK's biggest employer - care home staff and key government workers have had to test every day they are at work. Almost all of these tests would be negative, I've not had a single positive result in over 300 reported tests.
It's been twice a week since LFTs came out for us (NHS hospital Trust). No news of that stopping any time soon. I've no idea what proportion of staff are actually doing that though.
MiraculousM likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.