Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet2 Optional Face Masks - will BA follow?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
It's easier for regional airlines to adopt different rules. BA and other global airlines need to be mindful of the rules in the territories to which they fly. I don't see BA changing anything until rules change in their largest markets (e.g. USA).
Jet2 and BA are quite different in terms of size and route network but they are rather more than a regional airline. They have 94 aircraft and operate around 70 international (mainly bucket & spade) routes.

Surprised Jet2 have "gone early" on this change though, they only relaxed the "no earphones on landing" rule about 2 years ago.
paulaf likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Truffles
As someone who wears a sunflower lanyard in Heathrow just so I can sucessfully traverse the airport without crumbling into a heap, I cannot express how annoyed this makes me.
If you think there’s an actual disadvantage to others wearing a sunflower lanyard there’s no harm in writing in and saying you suspect their use by the check-in agents is a bit flippant. I must admit I was surprised by their ubiquity in certain front-line hospitality/customer service positions.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by exeu2017
If you think there’s an actual disadvantage to others wearing a sunflower lanyard there’s no harm in writing in and saying you suspect their use by the check-in agents is a bit flippant. I must admit I was surprised by their ubiquity in certain front-line hospitality/customer service positions.
If I was a manager and I received a letter essentially accusing my staff with no evidence whatsoever of fabricating an exemption I would inform the letter-sender that their custom was no longer welcome.
thegamebird and RockyRobin like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Based on my last dozen flights with BA I would say they’ve become de facto optional anyway. I was particularly surprised that leaving the US was as chilled as it was in this regard.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Based on my last dozen flights with BA I would say they’ve become de facto optional anyway. I was particularly surprised that leaving the US was as chilled as it was in this regard.
I find it very variable some more relaxed than others, must depend on how the FA feels themself and if passengers complain about others not wearing them between sips of drinks.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:05 pm

Good on Jet2 for going first.

Airports not quite so clear cut though - this is the Birmingham airport policy on masks :

In order to protect our staff and to ensure that they feel safe in their role it is mandatory for all customers/passengers to wear a face covering in security, on all buses (landside and airside) and immigration.”

so you can walk in and check your bags in at the desk without a mask on, you then need to mask up before security, once through you can take your mask off in the Departure lounge area, but then have to mask up again before you get on the bus to the aircraft, then ( If you’re flying Jet2 ) you can de-mask as soon as you step off the bus and get onboard.
NoY, LETTERBOY and TarquinMontague like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
Jet2 and BA are quite different in terms of size and route network but they are rather more than a regional airline. They have 94 aircraft and operate around 70 international (mainly bucket & spade) routes.

Surprised Jet2 have "gone early" on this change though, they only relaxed the "no earphones on landing" rule about 2 years ago.
I’d say worth a gamble commercially.

I suspect that could turn more than a customer or two their way.

Good news someone has started the trend though.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Will100
I’d say worth a gamble commercially.

I suspect that could turn more than a customer or two their way.

Good news someone has started the trend though.
It is a gamble yes as could also turn customers away.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by paulaf
It is a gamble yes as could also turn customers away.
It is a gamble.

Personally I’m just glad I can go, I’ll follow the rule if needed but will be glad when it’s gone.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:10 pm

I find it very variable some more relaxed than others, must depend on how the FA feels themself and if passengers complain about others not wearing them between sips of drinks.
Do people seriously do this? I'm too busy minding my own business to care.
NoY, endoman, LETTERBOY and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:06 am

Having recently returned from a trip to Spain I can say how astonished I was that mask wearing was 100% by everyone, everytime on public transport. No exceptions. No sunflower lanyards. I'm not saying they're right and we in the UK are wrong. But it was such an interesting insight to how different nationalities are able to adhere to government guidance.

On BA changing their policy I'd say 1 July at the earliest. Ryanair will follow Jet2 soon, then Easyjet then BA. That said, I expect to see increased ignoring of mask wearing on board as folk start making heir own decisions.
dcmike, LETTERBOY, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:25 am

Decision makers at BA only need to look at supermarkets and tube trains (when they are running) to see how many people actually still want to wear masks and nobody is declaring it illegal that they continue to do so.
We shouldn’t concern ourselves with what other countries are doing, only abide by their regulations when under their jurisdiction.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues
Decision makers at BA only need to look at supermarkets and tube trains (when they are running) to see how many people actually still want to wear masks and nobody is declaring it illegal that they continue to do so.
We shouldn’t concern ourselves with what other countries are doing, only abide by their regulations when under their jurisdiction.
As an international airline BA have to though as laws may still require masks at the destination and within the airspace of the destination country.
Stormbel and MiraculousM like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Not sure airlines allow exemption with just the sunflower lanyard? Don't you need a letter from your GP?
On a recent flight, it would appear not even a lanyard was needed.

A good half a dozen people boarded maskless, a couple were questioned by the crew to which the answer was “I’m exempt”, and that was that.

On an unrelated note, it would appear Gatwick has also dropped the mandatory masks, and simply now only recommends them.

We recommend you wear a face covering when at the airport. Follow the one-way systems and keep hands clean using the hand sanitisers provided.
https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-th...t/coronavirus/
LETTERBOY, paulaf and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
As an international airline BA have to though as laws may still require masks at the destination and within the airspace of the destination country.
Which was why I quite clearly said we should abide by their rules when under their jurisdiction!
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.