Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet2 Optional Face Masks - will BA follow?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by SamYeager
I really can't see BA removing the face covering rule for several months. I've now booked a trip with Jet2 to Portugal for May from my local airport (Bristol) and will shortly be cancelling the trip I'd booked with BA to Portugal for the same dates. Interesting to note that, unlike BA, the transfers are included as part of the cost. I'll hang onto my booking to Greece in June for a bit longer to see if there's any movement from BA before I take steps to replace that one as well.
BA to remove mask mandate tomorrow - leading article on head for points (can't link low post count - boo!)
LETTERBOY and the810 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Misco60
I doubt very much whether more than a very small minority of people will choose an airline on the basis of whether face coverings are required on board, whatever their views on face coverings may be, especially as there is a chance that the rules will change (and perhaps several times) between booking and flying.
However, you only need to look at most travel/Tui message boards to see people asking questions about mask rules. People changed holidays when locations had outdoor mask mandates, wearing them by the pool ect, or testing, so it probably goes the same way that people will chose the most "normal" holiday they can when looking at options. I definitely think in terms of long haul, people would chose BA now over their competitors.
rorschi, LETTERBOY, T8191 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by buzzmonkey
BA to remove mask mandate tomorrow - leading article on head for points (can't link low post count - boo!)
Welcome, Trigger!
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Interestingly, BA's website still states that masks are compulsory.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:33 am

Our destination specific COVID briefings have all been updated this morning and every single destination still states masks are compulsory (even domestics).

Go figure 🤯
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Welcome On Board
Our destination specific COVID briefings have all been updated this morning and every single destination still states masks are compulsory (even domestics).

Go figure 🤯
It's BA. Nuff said.
LETTERBOY, the810 and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by the810
Interestingly, BA's website still states that masks are compulsory.
It also says that Fast Track remains ‘temporarily unavailable’ when I think it’s been back for over a year now, so it will probably be a while until they update it in their usual leisurely way.
SxMan and Mainline421 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:20 am

Go figure 🤯
Masks are still compulsory in Scotland and NI. There is no covid brief for MAN or NCL so no masks on those.

Although looking deeper it does look like they’ve missed all the European countries that no longer have compulsory masks too. 🤦🏼‍♂️
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Mar 16, 2022 at 3:36 am
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
This is the outline of the policy as from today:

We have reviewed our policy on face coverings and confirm from Wednesday 16th March:
  • Customers travelling on BA-operated flights will only be required to wear a mask on board if the destination they are flying to requires this, such as the USA
  • Depending on the destination and local requirements, customers may be required to wear a mask to disembark the aircraft and within the airport terminal
  • As a precaution, we ask all customers to continue carrying face coverings with them for the duration of their journey
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
This is the outline of the policy as from today:

We have reviewed our policy on face coverings and confirm from Wednesday 16th March:
  • Customers travelling on BA-operated flights will only be required to wear a mask on board if the destination they are flying to requires this, such as the USA
  • Depending on the destination and local requirements, customers may be required to wear a mask to disembark the aircraft and within the airport terminal
  • As a precaution, we ask all customers to continue carrying face coverings with them for the duration of their journey
Is there a definitive list yet of destinations requiring it in addition to the US, flight attendants must have been provided with this by now? Thanks
the810 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Masks are still compulsory in Scotland and NI. There is no covid brief for MAN or NCL so no masks on those.

Although looking deeper it does look like they’ve missed all the European countries that no longer have compulsory masks too. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Masks not required in Northern Ireland, both BHD and BFS have changed their guidance to 'recommended'
Silver Fox and the810 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue

Go figure 🤯
CityFlyer last night issued a bulletin to crew regarding masks, which was withdrawn a few minutes later pending confirmation of a revised policy start date from British Airways. So, masks to continue on board for the time being.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond
Any indication whether they'll allow to cancel bookings with full refund if there are no masks required on the flight? I have no intention to fly without a mask mandate on my flight. An attempt to get in touch with them via Twitter resulted in a corporate "Your safety is our top priority. Explore the COVID-19 resources below so you can fly with peace of mind." Clearly, the opposite is the case: they make the flight less safe fewer than five days before departure.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fb175091
Any indication whether they'll allow to cancel bookings with full refund if there are no masks required on the flight? I have no intention to fly without a mask mandate on my flight. An attempt to get in touch with them via Twitter resulted in a corporate "Your safety is our top priority. Explore the COVID-19 resources below so you can fly with peace of mind." Clearly, the opposite is the case: they make the flight less safe fewer than five days before departure.
you can get a FTV and use that towards non ba flights which can be booked via ba. I am afraid full refunds are unlikely.

just to note, you can continue with your wish to fly with a face covering on ba flights or at lhr. No one will stop you wearing one.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by fb175091
I suspect your only option is to request a FTV. Do bear in mind that some flights will continue to have a mandatory mask-wearing policy, so not all flights will have the mask at passenger discretion policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.