Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do? To cancel or not?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
By buying separate reservations you take on a number of risks, notably weather. You are flying from the airport with probably the second worst weather record in March, to the airport with the worst weather record. Three hours is usually fine, and 80% of the time it will be a stress free exprience, so it depends on the implications to you if you had to buy a new ticket to DFW or not - many people can live with the 20% risk, others would be mortified by the prospect. It may be that your BA ticket can be moved for relatively little money via MMB, so long as it was a clean BA.com purchase for a commercial ticket. You probably need to look at the weather forecast on Thursday evening to see how things are going, until then weather forecasts won't be that accurate. The thing you can do at this point is consider what your Plan B would look like.
I mean worst case I could always take a train or ferry if I know far enough ahead of time there are going to be issues. That being said I am not super worried about weather, really. My biggest concern is that BA has been an operational nightmare, I know it stems from the weather of a week and a half ago, but it shouldn't have taken this long to get things back on track.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Everyone has their own risk tolerances so do what feels right for you, im booked on BA269 to LAX on the 2nd of March in F and fully intend to go, as others have noted with decet insurance you should be fine it does appear most of the major issues have subsided now
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:15 am
Original Poster

UPDATE

You wouldn’t believe it that after two years of waiting to meet during Covid my friends wife has had an injury skiing. A cruciate ligament tear and so now we will need to reschedule.Thankfully other than that she is ok but confined to a bed for now.

As this was on a companion voucher and avios booking (which goes out of date at the end of March this year) I assume I will now have to lose it, I assume there is no way of extending it with a Future fly voucher as it already had a 6 month extension. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know! Cheers 🍻
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well I would normally say you can just book something with the voucher and FTV it to effectively keep it alive until end of September 2023 - but it seems the last few posts of the thread on amex 241 vouchers suggests this may not work anymore, see post 694

BA American Express companion voucher | master thread
Richardc77 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Well I would normally say you can just book something with the voucher and FTV it to effectively keep it alive until end of September 2023 - but it seems the last few posts of the thread on amex 241 vouchers suggests this may not work anymore, see post 694

BA American Express companion voucher | master thread

Ah I see, that’s bad news then. Is it worth me phoning up the exec club line to ask my options or just fill out the form on the link above and see what happens?

My flight is this Saturday (and voucher runs out end of March)
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If the voucher cannot be extended, which is what I would imagine to be the outcome, why not go to Swiitzerland anyway and enjoy the mini-break without seeing your friend?
Richardc77 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If the voucher cannot be extended, which is what I would imagine to be the outcome, why not go to Swiitzerland anyway and enjoy the mini-break without seeing your friend?
Agreed and would still be enjoyable but would then mean going again in May/June which is something of a doubling up.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. We can take very little for granted, it seems.
Fritz and Richardc77 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 3:48 am
Original Poster

I was granted a FTV today

Ok so this goes against what was mentioned yesterday, I phoned the Exec Club team, and the lady said my booking has been converted to a FTV and when I click on the booking it shows the below bold text…
To add, I haven’t received the voucher via email yet, but my Companion voucher booking has disappeared from my dashboard and the lady said she had issued the voucher

Where will your voucher take you?
Using your future travel voucher is easy. Simply call us when you're
ready to book a flight or holiday, tell us your voucher code and
we'll complete your booking.
We're replacing your booking with the voucher, so you'll no longer
be able to use your Xxxxx booking reference on ba.com or our
app.
Your voucher will be in your email inbox within 48 hours if you
haven't received it yet.

Last edited by Richardc77; Mar 2, 2022 at 4:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.