Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a reasonable chance to fix things for you before you take matters into your own hands.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If BA have given you a rebooking on the same day for a short-haul (typically up to about 4 hours flight time), previous cases submitted for judgement by 3rd parties have considered this remedy reasonable, so arranging your own transport in this situation is not advised. However a rebooking on the same day might still not meet your needs (ie. not being able to get there by a specific time resulted in your trip being in vain) so you can still not travel.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.

If you were booked on a return or multi-segment jorney, and your outbound or earlier flight in your sequence is disrupted but you make your own way to your destination, you will need to contact BA to let them know this, and to protect the other flights in your ticket. By default if you no-show for a flight, all subsequent flights on that ticket get auto-cancelled. In the situation where there is significant disruption this could mean that your seat is released without your knowledge to another disrupted passenger, so there is an onus on you to communicate your intentions to BA as soon as possible for them to protect your onward flights, and it probably means a phone call as you can't expect a timely response from social media channels.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

Ł25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
Ł200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
Ł50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

Signposting some specific posts in the thread
#45 - for a list of flights that were observed to be cancelled
#162 - for a photo of the BA customer letter that was handed out later on Saturday

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Ok, so a bit of a good news. I had my LIS-LHR pushed to Monday evening and I had a flight on that day (separate booking) I managed to call BA and they moved that flight a day later without any issue. So if you are having similar problems its worth to try to call.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, same as above re compensation & expenses.

You will need to call BA at some point to get the trip reissued as LHR-EDI I believe.
Would you suggest re-booking my inbound from LCY instead of LHR? I'm thinking that LCY flights may be less affected and thus I'd have a better chance of flying back, especially considering that my inbound is now showing 2h15min delay. MMB seems to show that this is possible. Would that have any effects on my ability to claim for a partial refund (for outbound) and compensation for train costs?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC
There's a few cancellations cropping up this afternoon now. Running total now 92.
Will add these into the previous post upthread as well.

12:00 BA518 Lisbon (LIS)
12:30 BA682 Salzburg (SZG)
12:45 BA788 Geneva (GVA)
14:20 BA818 Copenhagen (CPH)
14:40 BA1334 Newcastle (NCL)
14:45 BA790 Gothenburg (GOT)
21:40 BA3599 Bangkok (BKK)
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stevebintley
GVA cancelled this morning and rebooked onto the 19:15. Showing as operating currently, but the 5pm EasyJet from LTN is better.

Should the BA outbound booking be cancelled, in order to obtain U2 refund? If BA738 operates and passenger is no-show the return will be cancelled, so what’s the best approach here, to fly U2 out and BA back? Previous advice says not to cancel booking?
If I have understood this, BA have rebooked you LHR to GVA and it's late but the same day. That's usually regarded as fair, so you have only one of the two WIki options, you accept the cancellation and claim compensation, the cost of the easyJet option would come out of that. If BA had rebooked to another day then under previous CAA guidance that was considered unacceptable on shorthaul. If you are firmly resolve to go easyJet then you should rebook that. If BA does a late cancel on the 19:15 then you can still pursue BA for any losses but if it operates then clearly not.
stevebintley likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tosaerba24
Would you suggest re-booking my inbound from LCY instead of LHR? I'm thinking that LCY flights may be less affected and thus I'd have a better chance of flying back. MMB seems to show that this is possible. Would that have any effects on my ability to claim for a partial refund (for outbound) and compensation for train costs?
it does seem LCY has been affected, there was something about long queues there today as well, so i am not sure you would be much better off there.

just to emphasise - you will get compensation for your cancelled flight today regardless of what you do. this will be at the standard rate. this is regardless of whether you have actually incurred any extra costs.

expenses are separate from compensation - i.e. you claim for extra costs you have incurred. if you get a refund of this mornings flight as well - so a part refund of your return booking - you may be on your own for your train fare expenses today. have a think which may be better for you to do.

same applies for your flight tomorrow - however if you just decide to book the train anyway you may be best off sitting on tomorrows flight for now as if it gets cancelled you can get compensation for that too.
flyertalker0013223 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
It's crazy that despite this utter chaos the Twitter account hasn't even mentioned it.

You'd think with talk of people being turned away at the doors of T5 that they would be using all methods to keep people away.
Yes, they are once again caught out by their inability to convey a simple message. If you look at the not exactly prominent banner on the top of BA.com there is this wording:

Systems disruption
We’re extremely sorry, a number of our flights are disrupted today due to significant technical issues. If we've contacted you to say your flight has been cancelled, please don't go to the airport. Log in and review your options in Manage my booking.
===

Press statement

BA: "We are extremely sorry that due to the continuing technical issues we are facing we have regrettably had to cancel all short-haul flights from Heathrow today until midday.

"Customers due to travel later today should check their flight status on ba.com before coming to the airport as we anticipate further disruption during the day.

"Our long-haul services at Heathrow and all flights at Gatwick and London City airport are due to operate as planned, but customers may experience some delays. Our website is working and customers can check-in online and at the airport."
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 26, 2022 at 3:50 am
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by londonba2014
About to cancel a booking for a flight from last night that never left - not looking to be rebooked.

I presume that cancelling wouldn’t impact my ability to claim for taxi’s last night or should I leave it until the claim has been made?
The right to care aspects should be applicable, be aware that BA tends to reject high taxi fares if there is a public transport option. As for the cancel question - a few more details are needed: is this the outbund of a return ticket, for example, is it entirely BA metal, how were you made aware of the cancellation. Probably the answer is go ahead though.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by air_boi
If the outbound flight to LPA is cancelled, will our inbound flight remain in place? (We may make our own way on another airline to LPA). Our flights are avios flights (inc Amex 2-for- 1). The inbound is on IB via MAD.
Well you need to check this, the flights are definitely useable, but you may need an agent to resolve any issues on the outbound service and revalidate the inbound. The IB bit, well that isn't good unfortunately, I don't think you could avoid calling BA about that though obviously not for a few days if you can. Is it better to throw in this ticket to get a reinstatement on the companion voucher and start again?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:43 am

it does seem LCY has been affected, there was something about long queues there today as well, so i am not sure you would be much better off there.

just to emphasise - you will get compensation for your cancelled flight today regardless of what you do. this will be at the standard rate. this is regardless of whether you have actually incurred any extra costs.

expenses are separate from compensation - i.e. you claim for extra costs you have incurred. if you get a refund of this mornings flight as well - so a part refund of your return booking - you may be on your own for your train fare expenses today. have a think which may be better for you to do.

same applies for your flight tomorrow - however if you just decide to book the train anyway you may be best off sitting on tomorrows flight for now as if it gets cancelled you can get compensation for that too.
Thank you--you and c-w-s are stars as always.

I'll switch to LCY--having a look on flight status in the app, it seems there are delays but no cancellations. Also, once my journey is completed tomorrow, I'll send in an expenses claim for my train ticket as well as a compensation claim for this morning's cancellation. If I get the partial refund, I'd be shortchanged as the one-way train ticket was more expensive than the return flight booking. And if LCY turns out is canceled, I'll get a ticket tomorrow at KGX and do the same.
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Just had a quick look at LCY and I can't see any cancellations although two flights are reporting status "Unknown" on FlightRadar departures.
Four flights were delayed by more an hour. Obviously annoying for those concerned but not a complete disaster.

07:00 BA2281 Geneva (GVA) British Airways E190 (G-LCAE) Departed 08:51
07:05 BA8479 Salzburg (SZG) British Airways E190 (G-LCYP) Departed 08:01
07:05 BA3279 Florence (FLR) British Airways E190 (G-LCAB) Departed 08:33
07:35 BA8763 Zurich (ZRH) British Airways E190 (G-LCYK) Departed 09:11
07:55 BA8497 Amsterdam (AMS) British Airways E190 (G-LCYV) Unknown
08:15 BA8702 Edinburgh (EDI) British Airways E90 Unknown

Also glanced at LGW and for the handful of flights leaving there, some are getting out on time, and where there is a delay its up to about an hour. Cancun actually left 17m early!
Interesting U2 seem to have having a few operational issues there this morning, there's a dose of amber and red on some but by no means all of their flights.

Last edited by plunet; Feb 26, 2022 at 3:57 am
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:54 am

Now I can also see that the BA1445 outbound has disappeared completely from MMB, instead of showing it as canceled. MMB only shows the inbound BA1438. Is this normal?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:55 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Just rebooked an EDI-LHR to GLA-LHR later in the day - there was one seat on the last EDI-LHR in Y but GLA had a few J available.

OLCI and I can see why, middle seats being used in CE.

What's the consensus on whether this constitutes a downgrade? Especially if they have insufficient catering my thought would be 'yes'.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by tosaerba24
Now I can also see that the BA1445 outbound has disappeared completely from MMB, instead of showing it as canceled. MMB only shows the inbound BA1438. Is this normal?
You spoke to the contact centre, I think, so they would have cleared out that sector, and yes that's normal.
flyertalker0013223 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You spoke to the contact centre, I think, so they would have cleared out that sector, and yes that's normal.
Thank you! Yes, I did speak to the BA line.

Edit: MMB also shows this banner--it seems they expect the issue to last for quite a while yet:

Potential service disruption may affect your journey. You can change your flights in advance for free and we’ll cover any fare difference.

[size=13px]So that you can better manage your travel plans you have the following options:[/size]

• You don’t have to do anything, you can keep your booking as it is.
  • You can change to another flight for free.
  • If you wish to cancel your booking a refund will only apply if your fare rules allow it, please contact us to do this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by father_ted
What's the consensus on whether this constitutes a downgrade? Especially if they have insufficient catering my thought would be 'yes'.
If you get the remaining aspect of CE, I would see this more under the Consumer Rights Act and/or contract law rather than EC261, though it's worth a punt. It is probably the wrong way to look at this, I would seek a remedy from BA after the flight for any relevant shortcomings, we don't need to frame everything via EC261.
wrp96 and Tobias-UK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.