Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a reasonable chance to fix things for you before you take matters into your own hands.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If BA have given you a rebooking on the same day for a short-haul (typically up to about 4 hours flight time), previous cases submitted for judgement by 3rd parties have considered this remedy reasonable, so arranging your own transport in this situation is not advised. However a rebooking on the same day might still not meet your needs (ie. not being able to get there by a specific time resulted in your trip being in vain) so you can still not travel.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.

If you were booked on a return or multi-segment jorney, and your outbound or earlier flight in your sequence is disrupted but you make your own way to your destination, you will need to contact BA to let them know this, and to protect the other flights in your ticket. By default if you no-show for a flight, all subsequent flights on that ticket get auto-cancelled. In the situation where there is significant disruption this could mean that your seat is released without your knowledge to another disrupted passenger, so there is an onus on you to communicate your intentions to BA as soon as possible for them to protect your onward flights, and it probably means a phone call as you can't expect a timely response from social media channels.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

Ł25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
Ł200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
Ł50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

Signposting some specific posts in the thread
#45 - for a list of flights that were observed to be cancelled
#162 - for a photo of the BA customer letter that was handed out later on Saturday

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

All BA short haul out of LHR 26 Feb cancelled [Rebooking assistance thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Currently sat in the Glasgow lounge, flight cancelled. Thoughts on being reimbursed for the sleeper service down? Have a separate booking for LHR-ARN tomorrow too… Have tried calling three times to no avail and airport say earliest is 4pm flight tomorrow!
they don’t have a choice now. It’s been going on for days. A first class seat or sleeper with dinner are perfectly reasonable. One Way car hire also an option if you haven’t been enjoying the Malt in the snug!
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Gave up trying to contact BA by all means about rebooking an 11.35 flight to Larnaca.

At the moment am taxi-ing for takeoff on a 12.55 easyjet flight to Larnaca.

Credit where it's due.

I got a belated twitter reply saying they'd deal with refund & compensation and my return flight is safeguarded.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
The reason seats are on sale is that they need to be so that there is availability to rebook disrupted passengers into. If availability is zeroed out, the agents won’t be able to move anyone to those flights or have an idea of what is available.
Wouldn’t the obvious way to deal with this be to have a class of inventory that’s not sellable, but can be used by internal reservations to rebook? That would avoid the situation where BA is getting a windfall by selling to someone who will pay anything, but also deprive a displaced passenger of a seat they should have been able to have.

Then again, given the root cause of all this is IT incompetence, perhaps that simple solution is well beyond BA’s IT competence.

I realise this would involve another inventory class, but when using middle seats in CE, someone must already be creating inventory that was not for sale to begin (not even to Mary Poppins or a high-flying QC), so it doesn’t seem like a major edit to the IRROPS process.

Last edited by Schultzois; Feb 27, 2022 at 10:47 pm
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Well it turns out that there were quite a few more cancellations yesterday in the afternoon and evening.
For the record the flights impacted were...

15:30 BA826 Dublin (DUB)
15:55 BA2570 Palma de Mallorca (PMI)
16:05 BA2782 Porto (OPO)
16:10 BA1486 Glasgow (GLA)
16:30 BA960 Munich (MUC)
17:00 BA912 Frankfurt (FRA)
17:10 BA580 Milan (MXP)
17:20 BA322 Paris (CDG)
17:30 BA736 Geneva (GVA)
17:35 BA1420 Belfast (BHD)
18:30 BA1438 Edinburgh (EDI)
19:15 BA738 Geneva (GVA)
19:40 BA504 Lisbon (LIS)
20:20 BA1402 Manchester (MAN)
20:50 BA1478 Glasgow (GLA)
21:00 BA1318 Aberdeen (ABZ)
21:15 BA824 Dublin (DUB)
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
So the background is that I booked a return AMS-LON-NYC in WTP and upgraded the long hual leg using avios to CW, the AMS-LON outbound was cancelled on 26th Feb.

Just rang BA to check on how they would give me a refund / put me on new travel dates but was informed that I was marked as 'no-show' on my itinerary hence all flights cancelled. The gentleman on the phone (change my booking team) suggested that I should book new flights myself and claim back from BA (without any further detail), which I thought was very dodgy given that would mess up my tier point calculations etc and I am not sure if they expect to reimburse me for full cash club world or WTP only. The resolution also only works on the assumption that I would still like to do my NY trip at some point in the near future.

This is unnecessarily complicated because of the no-show I was marked for the booking as opposed to involuntary cancellation / operational.

I decided to leave the case (refund + EU261 + compensation) with customer service - will report back when I hear back.

If someone has similar experience please also let me know. I want to sort out the problem ASAP but BA is not making it easy...
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Were you auto rebooked on another AMS-LON flight? I don't see how you can no show for a cancelled flight, that doesn't seem to make sense. The only thing I can suggest is you were auto rebooked and there was no need for acceptance for some reason, and you missed your new AMS-LON flight. However, although this could be an explanation, it doesn't solve your problem and I agree that BA should just sort the booking.

I think just to note that new travel dates would normally need to be within -3/+14 days of your original dates for this type of cancellation so I don't think that may be a realistic option unless you were wanting to go this week? EDIT: just to add the time limitations may not be appropriate as you may think it incompatible with the entitlements of EC261, but in that case you would have to pursue it probably through CEDR to get them to move it beyond 14 days.

A refund should be entirely possible and if BA refuse to do it I would just do a chargeback on your card instead as that would be the simplest way to get your money back.

As you note, your EC261 compensation claim should stand separately from any of the above.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Nope. I was not auto-rebooked. When I got my flight cancellation email, instead of the usual 'here is your alternative flight and feel free to change it' it was just shown as cancelled. And yes according to the agent on phone I was no-show which also surprised me.

Indeed I wasn't sure how flexible BA would allow me to rebook. The agent did also say I was unable to be rebooked because according to the system I did 'no-show' my flight so I'd need to wait for customer service.

I could do a charge back but I also want my avios back. This thing has become a mess..
Silver Fox and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A rebooking tale from JER today, as our airport was fogged in. Having checked in and bag-dropped around 0800, we waited for the inbound to arrive from LHR … which it didn’t, after holding over Alderney for ages. Eventually, c. 1400, our JER-LHR was formally cancelled and we were invited to go to Reclaim, collect our luggage and go to Check-in to be rebooked.

OK, obviously some delay, but the Club Europe queue moved fairly quickly with eventually all 4 BA desks manned. Our turn arrived … “I’ve booked you on the same flights tomorrow, if that’s OK? JER-LHR BA2771 and LHR-PHX BA289, in CE and CW.” “Um … OK!” Lady prints BPs and we head for the taxi rank at Arrivals. My Stupid-Phone vibrates and plays a jolly tune … “Hello, this is xxxx from BA Holidays. I see your flights were cancelled, and you’re now travelling tomorrow. Do you still want the Avis car rental in PHX?” “Um … YES!” “I’ll call them right now to change that reservation, and I’m processing the refund of Ł1xx for today’s rental charge.”

Painless, and BA Holidays are simply marvellous! Hoping for better weather/less fog tomorrow morning!
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:23 am

For my inbound flight LON-EDI on Sunday, I changed from LHR to LCY (a good idea because my LHR flight ended up being canceled). At LCY, I was upgraded to CE at the boarding gate. (Flight was packed, and they even ran out of CE meals!) Should I expect to receive Avios and TPs for the Y booking or the J upgrade?

I also submitted my expense and compensation claim yesterday, but have received no acknowledgment email from BA? Should I get in touch with customer service and enquire?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Why only sometimes?

Originally Posted by T8191
BA Holidays are simply marvellous! Hoping for better weather/less fog tomorrow morning!
The fact that, occasionally, they can get things this right makes it even more painful to read about every time things go completely pear-shaped with this airline. The inconsistency of customer service is just mind-boggling 🙈😵‍💫
Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by SxMan
The fact that, occasionally, they can get things this right makes it even more painful to read about every time things go completely pear-shaped with this airline. The inconsistency of customer service is just mind-boggling 🙈😵‍💫
,Same banner, but different operations, of course. BAH don’t operate aircraft, hotels or car rentals … they are fundamentally a Travel Agent with good connections.

As a BAH Agent said to me last year whilst unravelling yet another flight cancellation (with hotel booking), “I’m here to help customers, not sell them things.”
Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by tosaerba24
For my inbound flight LON-EDI on Sunday, I changed from LHR to LCY (a good idea because my LHR flight ended up being canceled). At LCY, I was upgraded to CE at the boarding gate. (Flight was packed, and they even ran out of CE meals!) Should I expect to receive Avios and TPs for the Y booking or the J upgrade?
An OpUp will only get the original Avios and TPs.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I suspect that HMRC are going to have to be relaxed about that, but here is the form:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...on_version.pdf

and you email it to
[email protected]
(I am very interested to hear of people's experience of using this email address).
Whilst I haven't actually got the baggage back yet, it appears to have been handed to 'eagleaviation.co.uk' to deliver to me, and their tracking says it was loaded onto a vehicle an hour ago, so hopefully be back soon. As regards the above email address, I used that to submit my HMRC form and presumably it was accepted as the baggage has been released, but I received no confirmation from that address whatsoever, so I can't say for certain that it worked as its possible HMRC turned a blind eye to the mess.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I still have this letter and can scan it, should anyone caught out by BA's meltdown on 25th/26th February want a copy to use in their case for denial of compensation.
gcuk and LCSinTexas like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.