Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of this forum's Ukrainian members

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thinking of this forum's Ukrainian members

It's difficult to do this without going outside some necessary boundaries of a frequent flyer forum, nevertheless given the close relationships involved, it would seem remiss to say nothing.

I would like to express my support, concern and yes worry for Andriyko, who is a very active member of this forum and who I have had the pleasure of meeting in Kiev / Kyiv. He is a gentle soul with a huge interest in travel, the UK, British Airways, the English language, which he speaks so well, and other members of this forum. I know he must have met dozens of other participants in this forum, both in the Ukraine and elsewhere. I also express concern for his husband, which in itself illustrates exactly what is at stake here. @Andriyko, you will have many other things to concern yourself with at the moment, but I hope you and your homeland get through this horrible situation, which is not of your making.

I think there are some other Ukranian residents who use this forum too, and we will be thinking of you in these dark hours.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Well said. Thinking of you Andriyko and all other Ukrainian fters at this time.
Mapman, jmj9905, Meriem and 35 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's difficult to do this without going outside some necessary boundaries of a frequent flyer forum, nevertheless given the close relationships involved, it would seem remiss to say nothing.

I would like to express my support, concern and yes worry for Andriyko, who is a very active member of this forum and who I have had the pleasure of meeting in Kiev / Kyiv. He is a gentle soul with a huge interest in travel, the UK, British Airways, the English language, which he speaks so well, and other members of this forum. I know he must have met dozens of other participants in this forum, both in the Ukraine and elsewhere. I also express concern for his husband, which in itself illustrates exactly what is at stake here. @Andriyko, you will have many other things to concern yourself with at the moment, but I hope you and your homeland get through this horrible situation, which is not of your making.

I think there are some other Ukranian residents who use this forum too, and we will be thinking of you in these dark hours.

Elequently put on our behalf - thank you CWS.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:57 am

Thinking, and worrying, of some of my former suppliers based in Kiev. One of whom, Petro, reads/maybe even is subscribed to, Flyertalk. All of them are young guys of military age and are indeed reservists.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:19 am

I went to school with an Ukrainian boy, Oli Olijnik. I hope he and the rest of his country people are ok.
Jimmie76, Sealink and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thank you dearest CWS. Thank you everyone else. This actually made me cry. I am crying as I am writing this as I did not think that so many people actually cared about us. I woke up to a new reality this morning here in Kyiv. I am hearing explosions outside. My family across the country are reporting the same. I don't know why he hates us so much and why he's doing this (well, I do, of course), but I hope that we will win and I will see you and the others, who have been so kind to me, at another DO some day. Thank you for your thoughts and support.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Thank you dearest CWS. Thank you everyone else. This actually made me cry. I am crying as I am writing this as I did not think that so many people actually cared about us. I woke up to a new reality this morning here in Kyiv. I am hearing explosions outside. My family across the country are reporting the same. I don't know why he hates us so much and why he's doing this (well, I do, of course), but I hope that we will win and I will see you and the others, who have been so kind to me, at another DO some day. Thank you for your thoughts and support.
All the best to you Andriyko. Stay safe. Hopefully this nightmare will be over soon.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Crossing fingers from my side for support and thought.
Jimmie76, Andriyko and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Hoping for the best for you, your family and your country.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:45 am

All the best from me as well.

I was asking myself what I can do as individual to support? It is not tolerable for me to see European and North American governments doing basically nothing to help.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thank you CWS for starting this thread. All my support too to our Ukrainian Flyertalkers. It is truly unbelievable that we still have to see this in 2022 .
Be all safe.
Jimmie76, LCY8737, bakera and 14 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:37 am

What’s going on is very disheartening.
Full support to the FT members from Ukraine.
💙💛
Jimmie76, Andriyko, SamirD and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is all completely surreal.
Andriyko and everyone else in harm's way- please stay safe.
Jimmie76, Andriyko, CoweyB and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
One of my most poignant memories was when I visited Kyiv a couple of months after the snipers killed so many in Kyiv in 2014. The bullet holes in the buildings and the solidarity on the streets will never be forgotten. Hopefully BA will choose to re start flights to Kyiv.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Thank you for your thoughts and support.
From me to you, fellow European FT'er, a little higher up north in the same timezone:

Я з Україною. (I am with Ukraine.)

Yesterday I still saw Motor Sich's An-24 flying as usually, based on transponder data on FR24. And the one and only Mriya (An-225) was still intact. However, today is indeed a very different day. I fear I won't get to see all the Ukrainian civil aviation marvels I would've liked to. But more so - it is indeed a tragic day and I hope all the best for you fellow FT'ers in Ukraine. May we still meet in better times.
Jimmie76, Andriyko, nivsy and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.