Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Monium
I’m seeing whether their online chat are any use. We’ll see.
Online chat about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Just told me to download the app. Think I need lunch before trying telephone customer service…
Speedbird676 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:46 am

Online chat about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Just told me to download the app. Think I need lunch before trying telephone customer service…
The duplicate profile was the thing that messed me up as well, could only be fixed by going in branch and then it was solved in seconds.
Speedbird676 and Monium like this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by aflack
The duplicate profile was the thing that messed me up as well, could only be fixed by going in branch and then it was solved in seconds.
This is sounding increasingly like I’m going to have to visit a branch and hope that someone competent can help me do this before the deadline 😏
Speedbird676 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 1:14 pm

Well, it turns out that I managed to speak to an incredibly professional, helpful and efficient customer service agent. She was as baffled as I was by my inability to apply through the app, but seemed to trace it to the system thinking of me as a “partial” customer due to holding other Barclays products, but no bank account.

Anyhow, an hour on the phone with her and I now have successfully opened the Premier Account. I had to delete the Barclays app, and reinstall as a “new” customer. Once I did this, it actually gave the option of opening the Premier account, and apart from the ID check didn’t ask for anything onerous at all. Customer service have emailed colleagues to (hopefully) get my current account linked with my credit card and other products so that it all shows in the app - she was cautiously optimistic that it may all work without having to go into a branch.

So, I now have the account, and within the deadline. Of course, the app is now throwing an error when I try to activate the Avios rewards element 🤦🏻‍♀️ but I’ll wait til tomorrow before calling them again I think…

Overall, very impressed with the service this evening (which was through the Premier customer service line on 0800 9 247365 in case anyone else needs it!) and made me feel a lot happier about actually banking with them.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, EK, VS FC
Using the Upgrade Voucher

i am interested to hear how easy, or otherwise, it is proving to use the voucher for a PE to J booking?

thanks

AMLB
Old Nov 28, 2022, 12:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
When signing up for the Premier account package, can someone please clarify where Blue Rewards fits into the picture? Is it additional to Avios Rewards or an alternative to it?

Also, I joined Avios Rewards on 7 Nov, but no Ł12 monthly fee has yet been taken (and no bonus monthly 1,500 Avios have been posted). Is that normal?
Old Nov 28, 2022, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
When signing up for the Premier account package, can someone please clarify where Blue Rewards fits into the picture? Is it additional to Avios Rewards or an alternative to it?

Also, I joined Avios Rewards on 7 Nov, but no Ł12 monthly fee has yet been taken (and no bonus monthly 1,500 Avios have been posted). Is that normal?
Blue reward is am alternative so don't accept them keep Avios rewards accepted.

I asked the women in the branch about when the membership fee (Ł12) would be take and I'm 99% sure she said on the 2nd working day of the month. I would guess 1500 avios would follow on from this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
There was a lot of hassle but I finally managed to open the account. I'll tell you my story so you can decide for yourself whether the potential hassle is worth it.

I was in the same situation as you, I have had the Barclaycard Avios Plus since July. I couldn't see an option to apply in the Barclaycard app, so downloaded the Barclays app. Initially I signed in with my Barclaycard, once you're in the app looks identical to the Barclaycard app, but I couldn't find any option to apply for a current account - it was only offering insurance, mortgage and something else which I now forget.

So, I signed out and went down the "I'm new to Barclays" route. Got to what I thought was the end of the application process and got a message saying I couldn't apply in the app and I needed to visit a branch. Call to make an appointment.

I called up and my two closest branches didn't have any appointments until at least January, but my third closest had one on 30th November at 3pm. Cutting it a bit fine, but I accepted the appointment.

Then things started to go wrong.

Later the same day, I could no longer log into the Barclaycard app to service my credit card. Initially I thought it was just a glitch, but it persisted the following morning. I called Barclaycard and got through to someone who was particularly unhelpful and obviously couldn't give a damn. She told me to delete the Barclaycard app and try setting it up from scratch, at which point things got even worse. The app now insisted I needed a Pin Sentry (one of those card reader thingies some banks used 10+ years ago) to complete the registration. I didn't have one and the agent basically told me I had to wait up to 10 days for one to arrive and she had no way to override the system.

The concern I raised at this point was that I use the app to authenticate online transactions. She assured me that I'd be able to receive a one time passcode by SMS to authenticate any transactions, and so the 10 day wait for a Pin Sentry commenced. Later that day, I tried to pay the balance of a BA holiday booking and quelle surprise, I couldn't authenticate the transaction. I ended up having to pay the balance with an alternative card.

I called Barclaycard again and got through to somebody more helpful who tried a few things, but ultimately couldn't get me back into the app. She suggested I visit a branch, where they'd have a Pin Sentry I could use to get back into the app whilst waiting for my own to arrive.

I went into my closest branch the following morning. First helpful guy gave me a Pin Sentry and helped me try to set up the app, but each time it got to the final stage and the app just hung. He then sent me upstairs to see a personal banking "expert". Hats off to him he got me back into the app with a little perseverance and at the same time open my current account, which took three clicks of his mouse from the application he could see pending from the application I'd started in the app.

It turns out the application as a new customer had created a duplicate profile which then caused Barclaycard to lock me out of my existing access to the app. He merged my profiles and assured me all should be well. After a few hours I could see both accounts in the Barclays app and the following day received an email confirming my eligibility for the 100k avios.

90 minutes talking to the call centre and 60 minutes in branch. I have to admit at the point I was locked out of my Barclaycard, couldn't authenticate online transaction and couldn't get it sorted after speaking to two call centre agents I was on the verge of giving up. If it hadn't been for the perseverance of the person in-branch I would no longer be a Barclays or Barclaycard customer.
Similar story to mine!

Barclays and Barclaycard systems have been useless from start to finish - as have 90% of the agents available via chat. 50% of the humans I have spoken to have been fantastic - the other 50% not so much.

It took 3 reissues of the credit card before I finally had one I could use for online purchases (due to their own internal issues with Mastercard ID). The second 'new' card they sent me was the free one (I'm not worried about aesthetics but on calling to confirm it wasn't a mistake they immediately cancelled it and sent me a new one....). All of the cards had the same card number but Barclaycard insisted I needed a new physical card despite the issue clearly being with their back end.

Then onto the bank account - remarkably similar issues to you (including the requirement to attend a branch after the application 'failed'), during the in-branch appointment it was revealed that the sign up process had actually yielded TWO bank accounts - one premier and one standard. Despite the application process failing at the final stage and never informing me I had been successful. No emails or anything to confirm I was even a Barclays account holder - had I have given up there I suspect I may still be none-the-wiser. I'm waiting to see if both accounts had associated credit checks and if so will be asking for the second to be removed from my file.

One thing to note for those looking for an appointment - both online/call centre attempts to book an appointment would have had me waiting two months - in the end I went to a branch where they run a handwritten list and managed to get a face-to-face within 90mins (not sure if I was lucky...) which resolved the miriad issues with the application.

Once the bonus has been paid I think I'll be returning to Monzo for my day-to-day banking - I had forgotten quite how archaic these legacy banks are (which prompted the change to Monzo in the first place) - naievely I had assumed they might have caught up in the intervening years but it seems they are still stuck in the dark ages. I'd blissfully erased the memory of the two/three day "available balance" lag which has no place in 2022. Why the absurd cloak of secrecy waiting for money to clear when the bank know preceisely who's taken the money. Bonkers.

Anyway... chalk me up as another person in the "If it weren't for the 125k Avios" camp.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:00 am

Frustrating - I currently hold the free Avios card, and I'm being told over the phone that transferring to the Plus card will take 30 days. Not sure that's the case, but they don't seem to have a clue.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:19 am

Of course, the app is now throwing an error when I try to activate the Avios rewards element.
If it is an AV006 error then this workaround suggested to my by someone on HFP forum worked for me even though Barclays IT had said it was a known issue that could not be fixed and there was no way I could sign up to Avios rewards!

Go to the Barclays 100k promotion web page on your phone. Go through the eligibility checker screens. When you get to the question do you have Avios Rewards, answer no. This then takes you to the Avios Rewards sign up page in the app, bypassing the error message.

I hope this works for you, it did for me!
Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by TheEscapist
Barclays and Barclaycard systems have been useless from start to finish - as have 90% of the agents available via chat.
I keep seeing people refer to chat and when I was on hold to speak to someone the recorded message kept referring to it. I don't have that option in my app, only "Direct Call".

Originally Posted by TheEscapist
It took 3 reissues of the credit card before I finally had one I could use for online purchases (due to their own internal issues with Mastercard ID). The second 'new' card they sent me was the free one (I'm not worried about aesthetics but on calling to confirm it wasn't a mistake they immediately cancelled it and sent me a new one....). All of the cards had the same card number but Barclaycard insisted I needed a new physical card despite the issue clearly being with their back end.
This is an issue now affecting my additional cardholder. Since my application, online card payments have been failing for them. The Mastercard ID Check doesn't even load and then they get a card declined or similar. The same transaction works fine with Curve linked to the Barclaycard or when using the card in shops.

Roll on four months when I hopefully get the avios and can rid myself of Barclays forever!
Old Nov 28, 2022, 5:42 am

Just popped into a branch....apparently I have dual accounts, that need to be merged, takes 1-2 days....so let's see,
Old Nov 28, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
I keep seeing people refer to chat and when I was on hold to speak to someone the recorded message kept referring to it. I don't have that option in my app, only "Direct Call".

This is an issue now affecting my additional cardholder. Since my application, online card payments have been failing for them. The Mastercard ID Check doesn't even load and then they get a card declined or similar. The same transaction works fine with Curve linked to the Barclaycard or when using the card in shops.

Roll on four months when I hopefully get the avios and can rid myself of Barclays forever!
Took a few weeks for chat to become available in app for me as well - and only after the issues had been resolved in branch - so I suspect the account/chat issue is one and the same.

Curve is a useful work around - but their support is non-existent so I was wary of using them for any big purchases (I have a support message without a response from over 3 months ago...) hence the desire to get the Barclaycard working. From my experience the only way to resolve the Mastercard ID was for them to send me a new card - even though this seemed unnecessary - third time was a charm though as it's been issue free since

Clearly there are issues at both ends of the market (legacy banking and some fintech startups). I already miss my trusty old Monzo
Speedbird676 likes this.

Last edited by TheEscapist; Nov 28, 2022 at 6:46 am Reason: Hadn't answered the question!
Old Nov 29, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I have been able to add my MasterCard to Apple Pay now.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
Well, it turns out that I managed to speak to an incredibly professional, helpful and efficient customer service agent. She was as baffled as I was by my inability to apply through the app, but seemed to trace it to the system thinking of me as a “partial” customer due to holding other Barclays products, but no bank account.

Anyhow, an hour on the phone with her and I now have successfully opened the Premier Account. I had to delete the Barclays app, and reinstall as a “new” customer. Once I did this, it actually gave the option of opening the Premier account, and apart from the ID check didn’t ask for anything onerous at all. Customer service have emailed colleagues to (hopefully) get my current account linked with my credit card and other products so that it all shows in the app - she was cautiously optimistic that it may all work without having to go into a branch.

So, I now have the account, and within the deadline. Of course, the app is now throwing an error when I try to activate the Avios rewards element 🤦🏻‍♀️ but I’ll wait til tomorrow before calling them again I think…

Overall, very impressed with the service this evening (which was through the Premier customer service line on 0800 9 247365 in case anyone else needs it!) and made me feel a lot happier about actually banking with them.
Where do you activate the Avios reward element?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.