Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Apologies if already asked and answered, but are these cards working ok and fee free, if used with Curve Metal for 'fronted' HMRC / NSI transactions?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Apologies if already asked and answered, but are these cards working ok and fee free, if used with Curve Metal for 'fronted' HMRC / NSI transactions?
I have paid HMRC and had no issues or fees. Not bought Premiun Bonds so can't comment on NSI.

Others on other sites ( like Headforpoints ) had their cards cancelled early doing this , I think they hit it hard straight off the bat and raised red flags.

I also have the Hilton BC and the same is true with regards to HMRC , again I have not used either for NSI.

Edited to add. Virgin Atlantic cards DO attract 5% fees apparently
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I have paid HMRC and had no issues or fees. Not bought Premiun Bonds so can't comment on NSI.

Others on other sites ( like Headforpoints ) had their cards cancelled early doing this , I think they hit it hard straight off the bat and raised red flags.

I also have the Hilton BC and the same is true with regards to HMRC , again I have not used either for NSI.

That all sounds a little discouraging, esp given that the limit for fronted transactions is a relatively modest Ł10k per month. I can see a large red flag if people are recycling cash by paying off their Barclaycard with a Curve card linked to the same card (or any other obviously circular transactions). Otherwise why would Barclaycard care?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
That all sounds a little discouraging, esp given that the limit for fronted transactions is a relatively modest Ł10k per month. I can see a large red flag if people are recycling cash by paying off their Barclaycard with a Curve card linked to the same card (or any other obviously circular transactions). Otherwise why would Barclaycard care?
Its been said that BC lose money on these cards so people abusing they system by doing MS or cash recycling are likely to get their cards cancelled.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Delay on Avios Deposit Normal?

Hello all,
I had an email six days ago informing me that I had passed the spending threshold and that the 25k avios had been deposited in my account - indeed the email went so far as to exhort me to"Check your balance in the Barclays app,* and you’ll see all those lovely extra Avios, ready and waiting to help you enjoy that next adventure." Of course this is impossible as the disastrous Barclays app still does not have the avios section (for me - I am aware others have it). No sign of the avios on my Barclays account - is this normal or shall I start the interminable call/complaint routine with Barclaycard? I am determined to get those avios before smartly cancelling the card and returning to the efficient and fit for purpose amex....

Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sunshinebob

Correct, I have a Virgin Credit Card (the Premium One) and Used Curve to pay AMEX Card Balance and was hit with a significant 5% fee. I have done a test transaction using Curve paying AMEX which then charges Barclaycard Avios to see if they charge a fee. Im waiting for it to clear and process. So far in the last 3 years of doing this aka paying amex with curve with a Credit Card under lining Virgin is the first for me to charge a fee.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Tootall33
Hello all,
I had an email six days ago informing me that I had passed the spending threshold and that the 25k avios had been deposited in my account - indeed the email went so far as to exhort me to"Check your balance in the Barclays app,* and you’ll see all those lovely extra Avios, ready and waiting to help you enjoy that next adventure." Of course this is impossible as the disastrous Barclays app still does not have the avios section (for me - I am aware others have it). No sign of the avios on my Barclays account - is this normal or shall I start the interminable call/complaint routine with Barclaycard? I am determined to get those avios before smartly cancelling the card and returning to the efficient and fit for purpose amex....

Thanks!
Personally I wouldn't bother with customer services - I think the Avios move from Barclaycard to BA accounts on about the 5th of the month following reaching the threshold. So I would sit tight, and wait a week or so and see what happens.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
Correct, I have a Virgin Credit Card (the Premium One) and Used Curve to pay AMEX Card Balance and was hit with a significant 5% fee. I have done a test transaction using Curve paying AMEX which then charges Barclaycard Avios to see if they charge a fee. Im waiting for it to clear and process. So far in the last 3 years of doing this aka paying amex with curve with a Credit Card under lining Virgin is the first for me to charge a fee.
I have never been charged to use Curve on my Virgin card - but then I was not paying off another credit card.

Never been charged on Barclaycard Hilton, Barclaycard, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Money, or Nationwide credit cards.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thank you. I did call in the end and was told it was the 6th of the month - did register my unhappiness at the app and will receive Ł20 compensation to add to the Ł45 compensation already received for previous issues (charges declined due to app not having the in-app approval function) so I shall come our ahead in the end. Would certainly have preferred a service that works though!
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Just a quick update to my previous rant, my PINsentry arrived and then the app never asked for it for me to register... There's a message in there saying I need to wait another 4 days to be able to use the in app authorisation of online payments. In fact I tried to pay for eurostar tickets last week and was declined. I called in and the lady said it'd take a while before its allowed. She cleared that payment for me whilst on the phone but it's not been a great start. Still no way to pay with my phone. I'll be downgrading when I hit the bonus and keep it as my non-Amex payment but wow... I'm not impressed!
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
Just a quick update to my previous rant, my PINsentry arrived and then the app never asked for it for me to register... There's a message in there saying I need to wait another 4 days to be able to use the in app authorisation of online payments. In fact I tried to pay for eurostar tickets last week and was declined. I called in and the lady said it'd take a while before its allowed. She cleared that payment for me whilst on the phone but it's not been a great start. Still no way to pay with my phone. I'll be downgrading when I hit the bonus and keep it as my non-Amex payment but wow... I'm not impressed!
Pin-sentry and other secure features + chat in the app have always been restricted for the first 4 days, for security reasons, both for Barclaycard and Barclays Bank customers.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold; DL Diamond
Barclaycard Avios Plus Credit Card -bah!

The card is flimsy and is scratched up to hell after a week. It feels like a fake card next to the metallic majesty of an Anex Platinum or Amex Delta Reserve. And it keeps getting randomly declined online with no authentication path. Pants.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Weirdly enough mine has been declined twice randomly (via Curve) and yet the second time it's worked...
Old Aug 6, 2022, 5:59 pm

Mine works perfectly!
higham44 and m8_rotate like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Mine, and the partner card for Mrs ExAbz worked so well we burnt through the spend for the 50k Avios offer really quickly.

Will now revert the card to the free version as it's less useful than the Amex PP with the companion voucher.
yellow_peril likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.