Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by higham44
Can you point out where on the Barclaycard website I will find that so, if required, I can prove my sign up was via H4P?
Thanks
No idea where you might find it on the Barclaycard site sorry. It was part of the set of documents they give you to print / save when you sign up.

I assume it must be there somewhere as you should be able to request a copy of all of it.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Has anyone who has had the misfortune to be caught up in this farago but not managed to get above the £200 credit limit because their income evidence did not match the Barclaycard requirements, managed to persuade Barclaycard not to charge the initial £20 monthly fee ?

Has anyone managed to communicate successfully with a sentient being at Barclaycard and persuade them to accept alternative evidence, and if so how ??

Finally, has anyone stuck on £200 managed to cancel their card, and if so how ?
Bumping this as I still want to find if anyone else has been in the same boat and found a way out.
Old May 15, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: BA GfL, IHG Diamond, HH Diamond
I had the same challenge. In the end I opened a complaint as that enabled me to speak to someone. they explained what was needed to validate my circumstances (after a couple of calls) and I got £5.2k credit limit plus a small compensation amount loaded onto the card.

So my advice is to not try and speak with customer service, go straight to the complaints folks and make a nuisance of yourself to get the complaint escalated
EDIflyer likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: BA, Air NZ, Qantas
Originally Posted by air_boi
We received the card and viewed the PIN online as we had set up the online account (you don't need the PIN for this). We then used an ATM to change the PIN. This was all before the now defunct PIN arrived in the post.
As an update, have hit the £3K spend and 25000 points showing in the Barclays app ready to transfer at the end of the month. 5000 HFP bonus points have also appeared directly in our BA account. All in all a smooth process with everything working as it should. Just need to get to the £10k spend to get the upgrade voucher. Luckily our BA Amex annual cycle starts with enough time to earn the 2for1 voucher before we start spending with the Barclays Avios card.

A shame though that Barclays cards can't be used contactlessly via an android phone/goggle pay.
Old May 15, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by air_boi
As an update, have hit the £3K spend and 25000 points showing in the Barclays app ready to transfer at the end of the month. 5000 HFP bonus points have also appeared directly in our BA account. All in all a smooth process with everything working as it should. Just need to get to the £10k spend to get the upgrade voucher. Luckily our BA Amex annual cycle starts with enough time to earn the 2for1 voucher before we start spending with the Barclays Avios card.

A shame though that Barclays cards can't be used contactlessly via an android phone/goggle pay.
They can via Curve. See the HfP article about how Curve works here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...redit-cards-2/

Why they can't be added natively is a mystery for the ages - probably because Barclaycard is still annoyed that its own contactless band... thing flopped like a stumbling penguin.
Old May 15, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by xarantine
They can via Curve. See the HfP article about how Curve works here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...redit-cards-2/
Just be aware Raffles from HFP has alluded to the fact that curve users linking their barclaycards are infact opening themselves up to getting their avios cards cancelled in short shift as they are "seeking to bypass barclaycard's revenue stream for this obviously loss making credit card."

Paraphrased.......
EDIflyer and xarantine like this.
Old May 15, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Just be aware Raffles from HFP has alluded to the fact that curve users linking their barclaycards are infact opening themselves up to getting their avios cards cancelled in short shift as they are "seeking to bypass barclaycard's revenue stream for this obviously loss making credit card."

Paraphrased.......

All the more reason to churn and burn!

So, after applying on 29th March via Head for Points and having to chase up my application (thank you to Raffles for the contact details), I have finally received a barclaycard in the post with a £14,000 limit, after initially been told it would take 5 working days to make a decision on my application. I have just returned from a holiday, so unsure how long it’s been in my letter box, but I know the decision on my application was made on 8th May. Not the most impressive experience and I look forward to chasing up the extra 5000 Avios I should be entitled to for signing up during the HFP promo.
Old May 15, 2022, 12:41 pm

Paraphrased.......
What revenue stream are we compromising? Interchange fees?
Old May 15, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by xarantine
What revenue stream are we compromising? Interchange fees?
He said...
"What I would say is that this card, on its own, must be losing money for Barclaycard. That’s a no-brainer statement given the cost of Avios vs interchange. If you are using Curve to remove their ability to earn FX fees from you or push through additional loss-making spend (vs what they expected from you when accepted) then I can imagine they would have issues."
xarantine likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 2:21 pm

He said...
"What I would say is that this card, on its own, must be losing money for Barclaycard. That’s a no-brainer statement given the cost of Avios vs interchange. If you are using Curve to remove their ability to earn FX fees from you or push through additional loss-making spend (vs what they expected from you when accepted) then I can imagine they would have issues."
Makes sense. Guess we should take the bonus Avios and run!
Old May 16, 2022, 5:08 am

Shrug, I'll be putting a decent amount through Curve and occasionally using the card direct to keep a few different transaction types in there.

If they want to cancel it, then I'll just switch that spending back to the BA Amex. No major loss.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
As reported elsewhere, Apple Pay may be launching on the 17th May.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:27 am

Is there like a 'shut up' setting?

"Nice one

Thanks for getting that payment of £ to us by Direct Debit. It’s all gone through.

Or in other words:

Cheers, merci, mahalo.

Your phone. Our app. Have they met?"
Old May 17, 2022, 12:31 am

How soon can you downgrade the card after triggering the spend bonus?
Old May 17, 2022, 1:04 am

Anyone had the 5k Avios from Barclays for the initial delays on the card ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.