Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by danmushman
​​​Raffles I cancelled by Barclaycard Reward card last week in anticipation of this launching (it wasn't being used anyway). How do you know there is a 6 month clock on being considered a 'new' Barclaycard customer for the bonus? I've looked through the T&Cs and can't find anything time-specific. Thanks.
i have not looked at the T&C in details but the page that was posted earlier in the thread, may have suggested that certain existing customer may have still received a bonus (a bit like the BA Amex PP unofficial upgrade bonus of 6000 Avios that used to be given before the last product change).
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
I do have the HH card that I have retained as it gives an automatic Silver Status (useless everywhere but for East Africa where I use it every other year and always get a room upgrade, also got upgraded to a mini suite in Venice years ago). How do you guys get Gold status from the Card?
I have the Hilton Platinum visa card but I don't recall how or why it gives me gold status. I presume there will not be a problem holding the B/card Avios card too.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
I have the Hilton Platinum visa card but I don't recall how or why it gives me gold status. I presume there will not be a problem holding the B/card Avios card too.
Ł10k spend a year to trigger Gold initially. Whether you have to actually put Ł10k through each year to retain it I don’t know.

Barclaycard are actually funny about you having two cards so it may well be an issue. I won’t bother with this Avios card as it’s highly likely sign up bonuses will ebb and flow as the card finds its feet - and the Hilton card is simply too valuable to give up at the moment.
ianwall likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:55 am
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Originally Posted by danmushman
​​​. How do you know there is a 6 month clock on being considered a 'new' Barclaycard customer for the bonus? I've looked through the T&Cs and can't find anything time-specific. Thanks.
I have received a letter from Barclaycard setting out the six month gap since last holding a Barclay credit card. So this requirement must be buried in the T&Cs somewhere.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:56 am

As many others have reported Barclaycard applications are down.

You can register a mobile number here to be notified when it is resolved:

https://status.uk.barclays/
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LPQ
I have received a letter from Barclaycard setting out the six month gap since last holding a Barclay credit card. So this requirement must be buried in the T&Cs somewhere.
The website was down earlier but it's let me check my eligibility and:

Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Ł10k spend a year to trigger Gold initially. Whether you have to actually put Ł10k through each year to retain it I don’t know.

Barclaycard are actually funny about you having two cards so it may well be an issue. I won’t bother with this Avios card as it’s highly likely sign up bonuses will ebb and flow as the card finds its feet - and the Hilton card is simply too valuable to give up at the moment.
ok, never spent that much on it. Nowadays I only put one or small transactions a year to keep it alive.

regarding multiple Barclaycard, over the years they have changed this policy few times (at one point I had two Barclaycard platinum and one Hilton. Their policy then changed to one Barclaycard and one Co-branded (so one Hilton and one Barclaycard cashback was ok, a Barclaycard Platinum and a Cashback was not). I still have one Cashback (old Amex/Visa duo, now only Visa, 0.5% Cashback) but is my oldest credit account, 23 years old, so would not want to close that either and currently does not let me product swap it (no alternatives presented in the app).
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:04 pm

Questions on this:

Does the upgrade voucher apply to outward and the return too - assuming its a return ticket?

Can the voucher be used for another person in your household, or is it only for the member it is awarded to?

Does it require reward availability in the upgraded cabin, like you do with an upgrade using miles? Or does the upgrade work regardless of availability, as long as there are seats available on the upgrade?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by DG55
Questions on this:

Does the upgrade voucher apply to outward and the return too - assuming its a return ticket?

Can the voucher be used for another person in your household, or is it only for the member it is awarded to?

Does it require reward availability in the upgraded cabin, like you do with an upgrade using miles? Or does the upgrade work regardless of availability, as long as there are seats available on the upgrade?
These are exactly the 2 questions I had as well. Will be waiting to hear more before jumping in with this one. Overall I think the Amex is a better card for me as can generate enough avios every year to save 200k on a second long haul F ticket.

Would consider swapping my VS MasterCard (for use when Amex isn’t accepted) for this but the 2x one-way upgrades with VS are pretty good and most importantly no foreign currency fees in Europe which means I can earn points abroad.

Could be tempted to switch to BA however if upgrade vouchers could be used against revenue availability. Strongly doubt this though.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
World Elite Privileges are by subscriptions. There are many Prepaid World Elite nowadays that effectively carry no benefits at all.

HSBC Card has the Lounge access, Rewards earning and you do get status (the 6 digits bin number needs to be approved by MasterCard) with both Avis and Hertz, as well as National and Sixt.
Do you have any links to this for HSBC? The National one could be useful to me. I’ve tried Google but continually find pages of non-specific info rather than actual details of how to.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by DG55
Questions on this:

The T&Cs answer these questions.

The voucher is valid for a return upgrade for 1 person, or a one way upgrade for 2 people.

You need to be travelling.

You need Avios availability in the cabin you want to upgrade into. You do not need availablity in the cabin you're looking to upgrade from.

You cannot upgrade to First.
bibbju, mikeyfly and argonath like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Cardholder does NOT need to travel, just needs to make the booking.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:33 am

Does appear that way. So looks like you can book for other people, but the Avios will come from your account.

"The Barclays Avios Rewards customer or Cardholder to whom the Cabin Upgrade Voucher was awarded must be the person to make the booking using a Cabin Upgrade Voucher. The Member does not have to be the person to travel to use the Cabin Upgrade Voucher."

Full T&Cs are here if anyone is bored: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-upgrade-terms
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I made a successful application for the card. I'm wondering that if two people each with their own card earn an upgrade voucher each could they use the two vouchers to upgrade an Amex 241 booking?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I have just been successful in registering for a card, despite their website showing some errors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.