Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by NicholasMAN
Even though most of us are used to the gold-standard service of AmEx - who set the bar very high for other banks - I've found the whole Barclaycard experience to be one total shambles after another. Like others on here, I cannot believe that a first world bank that's been doing credit cards for decades (I had my first Barlcaycard along with a Midland Bank Access card (remember those?!) back in 1981) can make such a complete hash of every aspect of the process - from failed initial applications, to damaged envelopes, to absent PINs, to ludicrous credit limits, to Curve wallet failures, to Apple Pay failures, to App failures, to clunky websites, to 3D ID problems.

What a way to run a credit card launch.

I spent 36 minutes last week speaking to the fraud department (again) because of a persistent decline issue whilst trying to spend £600 on flights on line. It was resolved - eventually - and I was told that the problem would not happen again.

Today I tried to renew my car insurance for £500 and guess what? Declined.

Complete and utter shambles.
I had this problem initially. More by luck and judgement I found a spending limit on my card of £500 for a single transaction automatically set. Easy to remove through Barclaycard online and no problems since. Hope this helps
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by windym
I had this problem initially. More by luck and judgement I found a spending limit on my card of £500 for a single transaction automatically set. Easy to remove through Barclaycard online and no problems since. Hope this helps
Thanks but I've searched everywhere on my online profile and cannot see where to remove the limit. Any further clues? (This was supposed to have been sorted by Barclaycard's fraud department last week). I can only look on the website as the app will not work on my Android phone even though its supposed to! (I forgot to mention that in the previous litany of failures).
Old Apr 26, 2022, 3:04 pm

Thanks but I've searched everywhere on my online profile and cannot see where to remove the limit. Any further clues? (This was supposed to have been sorted by Barclaycard's fraud department last week). I can only look on the website as the app will not work on my Android phone even though its supposed to! (I forgot to mention that in the previous litany of failures).
Sign into Barclaycard, at the top go into your details and scroll down to alerts and reminders. Click into monthly spend and change it to a high figure. Mine was set at £500 and when I tried to pay a £600 bill I was declined. Went into the limit and raised it and all sorted. Hope it works for you.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by HP28
After the shambles of applying for the card, waiting to get my limit raised from £200 I’ve finally hit the £3k spend. Does the 25k bonus get posted the following month? Does anyone know how long the HfP 5k bonus is supposed to take?
My account says the 25k will post on the second working day of the month after the target was hit, which for me should be May 4. The HfP 5k was something like 60 days after opening, IIRC.
Radiation Station and HP28 like this.

Last edited by SavvyTravel; Apr 27, 2022 at 3:47 am
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by windym
Sign into Barclaycard, at the top go into your details and scroll down to alerts and reminders. Click into monthly spend and change it to a high figure. Mine was set at £500 and when I tried to pay a £600 bill I was declined. Went into the limit and raised it and all sorted. Hope it works for you.
Thanks again for that. All those alerts were switched to off anyway, but possibly because the figure had been defaulted to £500 (why?!!) its caused a problem. I've now amended it to £10K.

Another oddity has now cropped up ....... as an alternative to spending another 40 minutes on the phone to India trying to sort out the car insurance transaction, I used my Curve card instead, with the default card in the wallet now being my Barclaycard (it was previously Cap on Tap).

Ignoring the fact that it had previously taken another two calls to Barclaycard fraud department in India to get my card 'successfully' loaded in my Curve wallet, the transaction appears to have been successful (I have an email from AXA thanking me for renewing) however the transaction is completely absent from my Curve app and my Barclays account, even in pending transactions, even though its now the following day.

I still have no idea whether the transaction will eventually 'bounce' or not, and previously any transaction, however small, with Cap on Tap, pinged my phone to confirm the transaction. Simple. Seamless. Something which Barclaycard definitely is not.

This should be simple bread-and-butter stuff to Barclays. To be honest, I've had more grief from this card than from all the other cards I've ever held in my lifetime, combined!
EDIflyer and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:00 am

Is there any recourse for receiving the first statement fee on, or even before we received the card itself?
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:48 am

Yes, moan via the chat function in the app and they should refund it.

Note that despite what it says, it won't notify you of a reply. But it is far easier to check now and again than it is to phone them.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Is there any recourse for receiving the first statement fee on, or even before we received the card itself?
Yes I've paid them £20 for the privilege of having a £200 credit limit. I do actually have a physical card though, I'll be sure to use it for when I'm buying a Twix.
rum likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by _nate

Note that despite what it says, it won't notify you of a reply. But it is far easier to check now and again than it is to phone them.
Thanks - I got my girlfriend to take your advice and chat have offered her a £20 rebate.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 6:36 am

I'd do that too, but I am unable to activate the Barclaycard app on my phone. Originally it wouldn't even install from Google Play Store (advised my phone was "incompatible" even though it runs Android 8.0) and now I have installed it but it refuses to open - just keeps giving error messages.

On my phone, I'm having to rely on the Barclays Bank app rather than the Barclaycard app, and as such all Avios activity is currently invisible because its not visible on the website, or on the Barclaycard area of the Barclays Bank app, only on the Barclaycard app ..... which won't activate.

Like I said earlier: Complete shambles.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Ive asked three times and they have flat out refused three times with a bunch of ridiculous excuses.
HP28 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:55 am

When you applied for the card. Was there a step to provide the bank account details from where you would pay the each bill? I can’t remember for sure but thought I did
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:11 am

They gave me back £10 for no card for half a month - I can live with that.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by abraxias
Yes I've paid them £20 for the privilege of having a £200 credit limit. I do actually have a physical card though, I'll be sure to use it for when I'm buying a Twix.
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Thanks - I got my girlfriend to take your advice and chat have offered her a £20 rebate.
I'd do that too, but I am unable to activate the Barclaycard app on my phone. Originally it wouldn't even install from Google Play Store (advised my phone was "incompatible" even though it runs Android 8.0) and now I have installed it but it refuses to open - just keeps giving error messages.

On my phone, I'm having to rely on the Barclays Bank app rather than the Barclaycard app, and as such all Avios activity is currently invisible because its not visible on the website, or on the Barclaycard area of the Barclays Bank app, only on the Barclaycard app ..... which won't activate.

Like I said earlier: Complete shambles.
Originally Posted by ceej123
Ive asked three times and they have flat out refused three times with a bunch of ridiculous excuses.
Originally Posted by Phlyer2
They gave me back £10 for no card for half a month - I can live with that.
If you want to submit a formal complaint and get additional compensation, just follow my post: Post 255.
NicholasMAN likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
An update from me. I’ve had my card about 2 weeks now with the £200 limit. I’ve been making small transactions in the meantime. I’d previously uploaded the PDF statements twice and a few days later got the “cannot clearly read” email, and to do it all again, I’m not clear at this point if this is an automated system which tries to read the files, or human, as the PDFs are as clear as anything!

Anyhow, I decided to upload a 3rd time today, but try sending them as JPEGs instead, thinking perhaps their system is having issues with PDFs. However all 4 JPEGs kept saying they couldn’t accept them even at the point of uploading! Couldn’t fathom this at all. I gave up, and then decided to re save my original bank PDFs via Adobe as perhaps they were in a strange format from the Halifax. I then got multiple errors trying to even do these. After 3 attempts I managed to upload them And got the Green tick.

Its a bit shambolic really, so I see what happens this time around, I might retry this once more again if this fails, as the files from Halifax have underscores in them, and I’m still thinking it’s some stupid little thing like this which is causing Barclays to keep saying they can’t read them!
Another update from me, having been in the Upload your documents/them replying can’t see them clearly loop!

Did it a 3rd time last Thursday after resaving the PDFs rather than sending the raw ones downloaded from my Bank. Whether a coincidence or not I’ve now this evening finally been assigned a nice credit limit!

Those of you who may have given up with this document upload fiasco, it was 3rd time luck for me, although it has taken since April 1st to get over this final obstacle!

” Thanks for uploading your income info – you’ve now got a higher credit limit of £xxxx.If you applied for a balance transfer, you’ll need to request it again – just make sure the amount you’re asking for isn’t more than 90% of your available credit limit.
If you’ve got a promotional offer, you’ve only got until 03 June 2022 to make your transfer. “

Last edited by cheshirepete; Apr 27, 2022 at 1:39 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.