Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Finally, I can see my new card in the Barclays app. It's only taken three weeks (or so) and a number of calls and a branch visit. The missing link, it would appear, is that the card had to be 'registered' - and only then did it appear in the app. This meant I had to set up a new online BCard account with a unique username that had to have one digit; a unique six digit code that couldn't have three digits the same, a memorable word (from which you extract random letters on the basis of position) and a phrase to remember the memorable word. For crying out loud, no wonder it is easier to use an app with facial (or fingerprint) ID.

Anyway, I can now see that I have hit the £3k spend threshold and that the 25k avios will be transferred "on the second working day of the next month" ... hopefully this will be 30k thanks to HfP
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
This meant I had to set up a new online BCard account with a unique username that had to have one digit; a unique six digit code that couldn't have three digits the same, a memorable word (from which you extract random letters on the basis of position) and a phrase to remember the memorable word. For crying out loud, no wonder it is easier to use an app with facial (or fingerprint) ID.
And one wonders why they quote 30+ minutes of waiting if you try to call them. I've never had to input so much nonsense before just to register for a credit card on an app. I mean, honestly, please, hack into my credit card account and pay it off, I won't complain..!
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
I managed to get Apple TV+ working (although there don't seem to be any apps for smart TVs or Android so am stuck using it on a computer) but Apple News still stubbornly refuses to work!
it depends on the make, model and age of the smart TV. There’s a list here: https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/devices/

Apple TV+ is available as an app on the Sky Q box too.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SteveF
it depends on the make, model and age of the smart TV. There’s a list here: https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/devices/

Apple TV+ is available as an app on the Sky Q box too.
Thanks, yep saw the list - sadly a bit limited - wish they'd just open it up to tablets as every other streaming service does! Have a Roku box in cupboard though so will look it out. Got News+ to work via the MacOS VM although it doesn't seem to let you browse the papers/magazines easily, more just view their selection of articles from them. Handily though you can cancel both once active and they continue to work until the expiry date, so no risk of forgetting to cancel and it auto-renewing and it's a pretty decent period for a free trial!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Delboy65
Hi, have you actually been credited the HfP 5K Bonus Avios yet?
Has anyone received the HFP bonus 5k Avios? I want to pump and dump this card for the bonus and voucher so I never have to deal with barclaycard again, but I suspect they won’t credit this extra 5k quickly and I’ll end up holding it for longer as a result.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Similarly I haven't seen any sign of the extra 5k for early applicants (pre the HfP extra deal and in recognition of the problems encountered). I'm hoping it is this month as I've met the two targets and received voucher and main bonus so looking to drop the card too.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I applied on the 29th March and didn’t receive an instant decision. I was meant to be contacted within five working days with a decision. Haven’t heard a peep!

I talked to them on the phone and the woman couldn’t even find my application, as I’ve received no reference number or anything. I did receive a hard credit check and I have my screenshots of the whole process. The company are a shambles.
As a data point in case helpful to others; I applied on 3 April for the Avios Plus card, didn't receive an instant decision but was told I would be contacted within 5BDs. Obviously that didn't happen - no email, no letter, no call, nothing in my Barclays app - so I rang up today. Tried the number ending in 0900 which is a complete shambles with a ludicrous voice-management system and horrendous wait times, and then found that there is a dedicated number for Avios Plus 0800 161 5309 (in case that hasn't been posted before). Each time the call was answered in 5 mins. The first lady a spoke to was a bit useless, but I got someone really helpful when ringing up again after the first call got disconnected who chased this up and rang back when the second call got disconnected, too.

Apparently, my application was "referred for review" and there is no given time frame for when they will get back to me with a decision. But he did confirm they have it and someone is looking at it.
He did say that he considers this a bit rubbish, that the delay was likely exacerbated due to the holiday weekend, and that a new customer service system was implemented on Tuesday without telling the operators and so everyone is scrambling.

I do have a Barclays account and they were able to find my application that way, though I suspect that if I didn't, or if there had been a disconnect with my name, they wouldn't have been able to find it.

As others have said, I am extremely unimpressed by the entire process and will likely cancel the card - should I ever receive it - as soon as I get the bonus, should these issues persist.
abraxias likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
An update from me. I’ve had my card about 2 weeks now with the £200 limit. I’ve been making small transactions in the meantime. I’d previously uploaded the PDF statements twice and a few days later got the “cannot clearly read” email, and to do it all again, I’m not clear at this point if this is an automated system which tries to read the files, or human, as the PDFs are as clear as anything!

Anyhow, I decided to upload a 3rd time today, but try sending them as JPEGs instead, thinking perhaps their system is having issues with PDFs. However all 4 JPEGs kept saying they couldn’t accept them even at the point of uploading! Couldn’t fathom this at all. I gave up, and then decided to re save my original bank PDFs via Adobe as perhaps they were in a strange format from the Halifax. I then got multiple errors trying to even do these. After 3 attempts I managed to upload them And got the Green tick.

Its a bit shambolic really, so I see what happens this time around, I might retry this once more again if this fails, as the files from Halifax have underscores in them, and I’m still thinking it’s some stupid little thing like this which is causing Barclays to keep saying they can’t read them!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: AmEx & Barclaycard Avios Plus
Rather unexpectedly, my Avios plus card turned up today after only applying on Thursday which is pretty good considering there’s been a long BH Weekend since. Card is alright for now, although it did come in a ‘sorry it’s arrived in this condition’ bag from Royal Mail. Looks like it had been through a shredder beforehand.

Credit limit was £200 but has now been upped to £2,000 after submitting my wage slip 3 times to them. Still less than I was expecting but it is what it is. The app is pretty crap, keep getting 00002 error like most people.

Card in terms of benefits other than the welcome bonus are completely redundant. Not sure how ‘24/7 fraud protection’ is an advertised benefit when surely all card issuers have to adhere to this?

Last edited by aviosluv; Apr 21, 2022 at 11:16 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: AmEx & Barclaycard Avios Plus
Also has anyone had an issue adding it to PayPal? Mine keeps saying they couldn’t verify it’s my card…
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
My first statement was issued 12th March so I assumed the next one would be issued 12th April, but there's no statement this month yet. Was this first one just a one-off statement for the account opening, then it moves to end of the month? When are you all getting your statements issued?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Mine have landed on the 14th of each month.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by aviosluv
Also has anyone had an issue adding it to PayPal? Mine keeps saying they couldn’t verify it’s my card…
Yes. We eventually called through to the fraud section (after getting nowhere with the first line CSRs). It was my supplementary card that wouldnt authorise. They were able to find and fix the authentication issue and then had me try again to link it while they stayed on the phone to make sure it worked. In my case the address and phone number hadn’t transferred correctly meaning that PayPal couldn’t confirm the name and address matched.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Originally Posted by seattle29
My first statement was issued 12th March so I assumed the next one would be issued 12th April, but there's no statement this month yet. Was this first one just a one-off statement for the account opening, then it moves to end of the month? When are you all getting your statements issued?
My card arrived 11th April, made a small transaction at Asda to check the card was working on that day. They then, just like you, issued me a statement on the 12th, and have just paid the £4.55 off for my first statement.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Doesn't seem to be any consistency statement-wise. I was accepted on 28 March, card arrived on 4 April - no statement yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.