Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I can’t decide whether to swap my Amex premium for the Barclays premium now! 25k Avios is tempting now I’ve earned my annual companion voucher already….
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
If I have another Barclaycard that I've had for 8 years, just sitting there - it's tough to close it - good for my credit rating - so are we sure no existing Barclaycard holder will be able to get the welcome bonus if they switch to / open this card?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:31 am

If I already have a Barclarcard Premier Rewards card, can I switch to this? Would my existing points convert to Avios?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I am tempted by the new Barclaycard Premium card but was rather put off by paying £12 a month for premier banking Barclays Avios Rewards and then an extra £20 a month for the Barclaycard Avios Plus Card, then noticed this which does soften the blow somewhat:

Collect even more Avios with Premier Banking
If you open this Barclaycard for £20 a month and switch on Barclays Avios Rewards as a Premier banking customer for £12 a month, we’ll give you £5 back into your current account every month. T&Cs apply.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC, Skywards, KLM
Do the `World Elite Privileges` extend to lounge access?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Sean Bhalach
Do the `World Elite Privileges` extend to lounge access?
I don't think so, with HSBC I think that's an additional benefit for the fee. The WE privileges as best I've found means getting a status with either Hertz or Avis, can't remember which, but it meaningfully counts for nothing. Those lounges passes are very poor for UK lounges, so often you're told that lounge is at capacity so no entrance.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: QF WP, SQ & VA Gold, IHG Spire AMB, HH Diamond + BA, AA, CX
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Although beware if you have a Hilton card then once you close that, it's gone - you can't reapply. Not sure I want to lose that option for the sake of a bonus.
Exactly this. I don't think I could justify giving it up, it's free and if you go by the nominal values we tend to use then yes, the Avios is worth more than the 2x HH, but having HH points opens up opportunities that Avios doesn't, and it is possible to get outsize value, just as it is with Avios. And yeah, there's always the VS cards with the VS to HH transfer option, but it's not as good unless you have the paid card.
EDIflyer and MaxFlyer like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Except .... when a 100% bonus is running, you can buy Hilton points for just under 0.4p.

Avios, in the worse case scenario, can be cashed out via Nectar for 0.8p.

You could use the Avios for supermarket shopping via Nectar, use the money you save to buy the same number of Hilton points you'd have got from the Hilton card, and you get the BA upgrade voucher on top.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Seems that Barclaycard's IT is down for applications, BA and them are going to make one fine pairing..
chris1922Mk2 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by dougzz
I don't think so, with HSBC I think that's an additional benefit for the fee. The WE privileges as best I've found means getting a status with either Hertz or Avis, can't remember which, but it meaningfully counts for nothing. Those lounges passes are very poor for UK lounges, so often you're told that lounge is at capacity so no entrance.
World Elite Privileges are by subscriptions. There are many Prepaid World Elite nowadays that effectively carry no benefits at all.

HSBC Card has the Lounge access, Rewards earning and you do get status (the 6 digits bin number needs to be approved by MasterCard) with both Avis and Hertz, as well as National and Sixt.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
You can swap to it but you will forfeit the bonus. Best to cancel any existing Barclaycards you have now and start the 6 month clock.
​​​Raffles I cancelled by Barclaycard Reward card last week in anticipation of this launching (it wasn't being used anyway). How do you know there is a 6 month clock on being considered a 'new' Barclaycard customer for the bonus? I've looked through the T&Cs and can't find anything time-specific. Thanks.
ringingup likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I've got the premier rewards current account and the premium card would have become my primary card for all spend.

However, I just can't give up my Hilton Honors card and the free breakfast etc I get from Gold status.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Doesn't look anything like as good value as an ba Amex unless you are a single traveller.

using new amex companion voucher saves 100's of thousands of avios, allows booking into F etc. for 22 a month. Only advantage I can see is its a visa so may be accepted in more places.
LPQ likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Raffles
Except .... when a 100% bonus is running, you can buy Hilton points for just under 0.4p.

Avios, in the worse case scenario, can be cashed out via Nectar for 0.8p.

You could use the Avios for supermarket shopping via Nectar, use the money you save to buy the same number of Hilton points you'd have got from the Hilton card, and you get the BA upgrade voucher on top.
But someone using their HH card for the Gold status could be getting huge value out of it - not just the points.

No-one with this card should be applying for the premium Avios card as no sign up bonus means you're paying £240 for 5k Avios and the opportunity to earn the voucher at £10k spend instead of £20k. So using your 0.4p and 0.8p values above you're getting 1 Avios per £ on the BC (0.8p) and 2 HH on the HH BC (2 x 0.4p = 0.8p). Factor in the additional points on Hilton bookings, any benefits earned from the gold status, and the fact Avios are easily earned over at Amex, to me it makes more sense to stick with the Hilton seeing as you can change your mind anytime and apply for this new Avios one, but you will NEVER be able to get that Hilton card back.
ianwall and EDIflyer like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by ianwall
I've got the premier rewards current account and the premium card would have become my primary card for all spend.

However, I just can't give up my Hilton Honors card and the free breakfast etc I get from Gold status.
I do have the HH card that I have retained as it gives an automatic Silver Status (useless everywhere but for East Africa where I use it every other year and always get a room upgrade, also got upgraded to a mini suite in Venice years ago). How do you guys get Gold status from the Card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.