Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Print Wikipost

Barclaycard Avios and Avios Plus credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ed_flyer
Mar 16: A card has now arrived. I’ve no idea if this is the original card that was allegedly posted on Mar 1 or the replacement ordered on Mar 14 as there is no date on the envelope or literature inside. The envelope was ripped open on 3 sides and the card was loose inside. The silver document wallet inside was also ripped.

Looks similar to how my card turned up, have had nothing but issues with it since applying..
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
I still have my first Barclaycard account from 1999 and have had other accounts overtime, as they did allow multiple cards at various point in the past (at one point I had three, and still have two, the oldest 1999, currently the discontinued Cashback product, and the Hilton card).

The activation of contactless /online transaction via a first chip & Pin transaction is quite common for new cards number for many providers (not when a new card simply replace an expired one) but all those other issues looks to be connected to a new BIN sequence/MasterCard set up (all consumers BarclayCards have been Visa only for few years now, with only the Business Product being a MasterCard.

Having been a Barclays Customer since 1997 (and Premier for several years so already missed the bonus to switch from Blue Rewards to Avios) and Barclaycard from 1999 as stated above, my interactions with both has shown over time that they are run as completely separate businesses under the same ownership (only fairly recently they merged the apps, as they used to be completely separate).

in any case, this is quite a shamble launch from what used to be, and probably still is, the largest Credit Card provider in the UK.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:00 am

Well I have to say, for me, the signup processess was perfect, no issues. Card arrived today and in perfect condition. All set up and have made an order via Amazon. However I can't seemt o set up to use Contactless via my phone. Trying to activate it says its not avaliable. I make pretty much all my card payments using Google Pay so this is a major inconvenience to me. Also won't let me claim the free Apple TV/Music service so guess I will need to call them.

Last edited by ayrshiredude; Mar 17, 2022 at 7:15 am
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by ayrshiredude
Well I have to say, for me, the signup processess was perfect, no issues. Card arrived today and in perfect condition. All set up and have made an order via Amazon. However I can't seemt o set up to use Contactless via my phone. Trying to activate it says its not avaliable. I make pretty much all my card payments using Google Pay so this is a major inconvenience to me. Also won't let me claim the free Apple TV/Music service so guess I will need to call them.
Glad it worked well for you. Amazon seems to use a different authorisation system to most retailers. I'd be interested to hear if you are able to use it anywhere else online. I've just made a payment on the phone (entering details on keypad) as 3DS window would not pop-up when doing online and thus transaction declined.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
The activation of contactless /online transaction via a first chip & Pin transaction is quite common for new cards number for many providers (not when a new card simply replace an expired one) but all those other issues looks to be connected to a new BIN sequence/MasterCard set up (all consumers BarclayCards have been Visa only for few years now, with only the Business Product being a MasterCard.
Not in my experience. The new cards I have applied for in recent years (the most recent being HSBC Premier two years ago) have been able to be used online and on ApplePay before I even received the PIN.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:27 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Originally Posted by bakera
Not in my experience. The new cards I have applied for in recent years (the most recent being HSBC Premier two years ago) have been able to be used online and on ApplePay before I even received the PIN.
Exactly. That's the normal way (debit / credit) cards are supposed to work in the 21st century. Barclays are yet to enter the 20th, but are gradually making progress

Mind you, HSBC had other (major) issues. Like responding to a dispute, Section 75 or clawback claims
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ayrshiredude
I'd be interested if you get those services working - I don't think there's been any reported success for them so far!
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:52 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Some good news and progress at long last!
Managed to add the card to PayPal which is working fine now. Will try some other retailers that I use often, so here goes.
I managed this without further input from Barclays so that's looking promising.
SouthWesterner likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by AJA_
Barclays' reputation must have taken a knock as a result. I'm tempted to complain as a shareholder since the share price has fallen significantly over the last 4 weeks although I suspect that is more likely to be as a result of the dreadful events in Ukraine.
Lets not talk about share prices... i have lost every single penny ive earnt in the last two years. Im new to this game and heartbroken!
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
My first card didn't arrive. Second one did and the phone line says it is activated and managed to get a transaction completed yesterday in person, but unable to register for online services despite over two hours on the phone yesterday.
How long did it take for the second card to come from the first one being cancelled? Currently waiting for my replacement
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
Glad it worked well for you. Amazon seems to use a different authorisation system to most retailers. I'd be interested to hear if you are able to use it anywhere else online. I've just made a payment on the phone (entering details on keypad) as 3DS window would not pop-up when doing online and thus transaction declined.
3DS is now working.
EDIflyer, rum, ed_flyer and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue Gold. Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Radisson Gold, Marriott Gold
Things slowly seem to be getting fixed. Just managed to redeem the free Apple TV+ subscription too.
EDIflyer, rum, ed_flyer and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA, KL, DL
I can confirm 3DS is now (partly) working. Pop-up saying a notification has been sent to the app - but the app is crap and when you open it, the approval notification disappears. Clicked "authenticate by SMS" instead and got a text message with a 6 digit code within 10 seconds.
rum and ed_flyer like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
My original card arrived and activated in the app but on line transaction did not work. Saw suggestion to do chip and pin transaction which did work! Then changed pin and card working normally. The app authorisation does disappear but the bell symbol on top right hand had red dot and pressing this sorted the problem. Now just waiting for my wife’s card to arrive.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by bakera
never said all the cards, but definitely most cards. I too have the HSBC Premier World Elite but I have had it for good few years and cannot remember what was the policy on it but the website still reports the following “Note: You need to make at least one Chip and Pin/Signature transaction to enable the Contactless functionality on your card”. Barclaycard may always have had this policy too. Santander also do as do many other banks. I think now you do many first time Card Activation via OTP and this may supersedes the need for a chip&pin transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.