FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Qatar Airways to adopt Avios, dropping Qmiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2069664-qatar-airways-adopt-avios-dropping-qmiles.html)

flipper118 Apr 13, 2022 7:07 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground (Post 34161060)
I presume you can move the Avios in and out of the QR and BA linked accounts at will and with no charge ? Is the move instant or does it take a few hours ? Any other limitations to moving ?

No charges, should exchange immediately

stargold Apr 13, 2022 7:09 am

I can confirm that QR<->BA transfers are instant and free.

mkannuri Apr 14, 2022 3:55 pm

Is any one could able to make the family pooling?
I tried calling them but the agent has no clue.. i said avios has that feature and thinking qatar has the same thing as well otherwise its difficult to combine the points between the family members.

ArlingtonTraveler Apr 17, 2022 9:35 am

Originally Posted by ArlingtonTraveler (Post 34151200)
So I made this mistake. By BAEC was my correct birth date. However, my QP was not because I used the American order instead of the British order QR uses. This is week three of my trying to get my details to match because my first name did not (I used a abbreviation for BAEC which is totally fine as you can change that during booking unlike QR) and it took me a week to get that correct with BAEC. Then I was tearing my hair out trying to find out what didn't match, and BINGO after reading this thread I double checked and that was the mistake. FYI, you can't change a birthdate online. Only the PC Contact Center can do that for you, and you will need to send along a copy of the photo page of your passport as supporting documentation.

I have a timepoint update. I submitted my request on April 9, and got a reply 8 later today on April 17. It turns out I need to supply a second form of Government-issued identification, which I just supplied. I'll let everyone know when I get a reply.

neuromancer Apr 18, 2022 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by mkannuri (Post 34165749)
Is any one could able to make the family pooling?
I tried calling them but the agent has no clue.. i said avios has that feature and thinking qatar has the same thing as well otherwise its difficult to combine the points between the family members.

Don't know about Qatar, but on BA side household accounts work ok, and you can certainly use all members' avios at once.

Atacama40 Apr 20, 2022 5:51 am

Qatar Joining BA Avios Program - Impacts & Questions Please

Apologies I fear this is maybe posted in the wrong place and maybe answers covered elsewhere but I don't see them.

Only booking the odd BA F flight on miles and Amex 241 so not so up to date as have been with regs but have a large bag of miles to use.

Just to ask a few questions that may be obvious to more regular bookers

1. Can you use the Avios miles to book say a DOH - MLE return? Then add an LHR - DOH return using an AMEX 2-4-1 .... I'm guessing the 2-4-1 will not extend to use on Qatar?

2. Is there a thread that discusses the details of the new program with merged Qatar?

3. What are the major benefits and things to look out for and use?

As you can probably gather I'm looking get from LHR to MLE in a decent class for later year. The example (or any derivative of it) is a real one.

Note to mod - apologies if in the wrong place, feel free to move as you see fit

Many thanks in advance

AirbusA350 Apr 20, 2022 5:56 am

To answer your first question, you will be able to do this as two separate bookings. This means on your return, QR will through your baggage, however on your outbound BA will not and you will likely have to ensure you meet Qatar's entry requirements + testing just in case they don't and you're forced to change exit immigration and then re-check.

Major benefits is likely the ability to upgrade using Avios via QR Privilege Club. Additionally QR joining Avios has meant BA has completely redone the way it prices up QR redemptions, significantly for the better.

Atacama40 Apr 20, 2022 6:48 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350 (Post 34180500)
To answer your first question, you will be able to do this as two separate bookings. This means on your return, QR will through your baggage, however on your outbound BA will not and you will likely have to ensure you meet Qatar's entry requirements + testing just in case they don't and you're forced to change exit immigration and then re-check.

Major benefits is likely the ability to upgrade using Avios via QR Privilege Club. Additionally QR joining Avios has meant BA has completely redone the way it prices up QR redemptions, significantly for the better.

Hi there and many thanks for the quick reply.

Upgrade using Avios would be good and possible. So you mean buy a mainstream QR ticket then apply Avios to obtain an F ticket? Booked loads of F miles tickets but never an upgrade. Interesting. I have more than enough miles for F on both sectors but F tickets booked direct on miles seem very tough to get .... certainly a lot tougher than before covid period.

And I guess Amex 241 cannot be used with QR just BA still?

AirbusA350 Apr 20, 2022 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Atacama40 (Post 34180641)
And I guess Amex 241 cannot be used with QR just BA still?

That's correct and an Amex 241 can only be used on BA operated services. So technically you'd have to use your Amex 241 from LGW - DOH (as BA only fly to DOH from LGW at present) and then in a separate booking from DOH - MLE.

Atacama40 Apr 20, 2022 7:51 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350 (Post 34180673)
That's correct and an Amex 241 can only be used on BA operated services. So technically you'd have to use your Amex 241 from LGW - DOH (as BA only fly to DOH from LGW at present) and then in a separate booking from DOH - MLE.

Super stuff .... appreciate the steer Airbus. No surprise on the 241. Such a shame you can't use those on partner airlines. And I didn't know it was only LGW. Is that a permanent arrangement or a shake out from the covid period?

AirbusA350 Apr 20, 2022 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Atacama40 (Post 34180828)
Super stuff .... appreciate the steer Airbus. No surprise on the 241. Such a shame you can't use those on partner airlines. And I didn't know it was only LGW. Is that a permanent arrangement or a shake out from the covid period?

I don't know tbh, I suspect perhaps during winter season, given the Football World Cup also BA might operate from LHR also, but nothing confirmed as of now.

Steve in Olympia Apr 20, 2022 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia (Post 34151366)
Eleven days ago, I sent the Service Center a scan of my passport and driver's license. Still waiting for the birth date to be fixed.

Three weeks since I sent the scanned documents to Qatar, and still no fix to the birthday discrepancy. So I called the Qatar service center (U.S., 1.800.988.6128). From the conversation, it appeared that they could see the scanned documents in my file, and the fix was made. It showed up in my account about 3 hours later. Done. A moment later, I had transferred my Qatar bonus avios into my BAEC account.

ArlingtonTraveler Apr 24, 2022 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia (Post 34182289)
Three weeks since I sent the scanned documents to Qatar, and still no fix to the birthday discrepancy. So I called the Qatar service center (U.S., 1.800.988.6128). From the conversation, it appeared that they could see the scanned documents in my file, and the fix was made. It showed up in my account about 3 hours later. Done. A moment later, I had transferred my Qatar bonus avios into my BAEC account.

Steve you are the man! I was waiting over a week and called the service center. It turns out they couldn't open my attachment. The representative waited patiently while I uploaded it again. It seems there system doesn't read all PDF files, so I changed the format to JPG and bingo it worked. So my takeaway is folks just upload stuff as JPG when you create a inquiry on their website as this will save you a lot of time.

mikeyfly Mar 16, 2023 1:38 pm

Some help needed. Linked my BA account and Avios to Qatar. Was reasonably painless! I did this as I heard Qatar release Rewards further out than BA. And wanting to secure Australia again next year, this would be my preferred route.

However, when checking on BA at 355/354/353 days there are seats to SYD and BNE, yet when I check on Qatar to book, it shows nil availability. Strange as I could return to BA and grab these. Are there restrictions on Qatar who can book rewards?

Raffles Mar 17, 2023 8:58 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 35092736)
Some help needed. Linked my BA account and Avios to Qatar. Was reasonably painless! I did this as I heard Qatar release Rewards further out than BA. And wanting to secure Australia again next year, this would be my preferred route.

However, when checking on BA at 355/354/353 days there are seats to SYD and BNE, yet when I check on Qatar to book, it shows nil availability. Strange as I could return to BA and grab these. Are there restrictions on Qatar who can book rewards?

There is IT weirdness going on. I booked (and ticketed, and flew) Qatar First via ba.com for my wife when the Qatar site refused to admit their were seats!