Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a chance to fix things for you.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Seems the website is completely offline now. Can't even connect to the server.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Confirmed, can't login onto website or the app.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Same here. The website just times out.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Another day, another disaster. I wonder if this is linked to more sober matters?
Yes, it's easy to think DDOS as additional retaliation for Aeroflot...

Then again, never ascribe to malice... etc etc. and we know just how much incompetence exists here!
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Think you're giving too much credit to 'cyber criminals' when the site seems to combust on its own accord.​​​​​
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:44 am

BA706 to Vienna, system down and crew missing. Ground staff have no clue what's happening or when the flight can depart.
Lefly and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: BA GGL. Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
On plane in Turinall ba systems globally down. Unable to leave stand and no prediction on when we will be able to. Could be long night!
Lefly and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze
In any of the recent IT outages BA.com usually was accessible which doesnt seem to be the case now, thus seems like a far bigger issue than more recently at least.

Last edited by Erwin10; Feb 25, 2022 at 12:06 pm
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprngli Connaisseur
As I keep saying, IT in aviation is a cost center. If you're any good you eventually go elsewhere, like I did. Until this attitude from management changes, things won't improve. I didn't work for either BA or any other airline though.
skipness1E and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:04 pm

Sitting on BA463 MAD-LHR on 25 Feb. They told us all the systems are down again, so the crew cant get the cargo load balancing complete.

This is a shambles - what on earth is going on with BAs IT?
Lefly likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Website down. On the other hand Air Koryo website has been very functional this week...
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by becks1
Sitting on BA463 MAD-LHR on 25 Feb. They told us all the systems are down again, so the crew cant get the cargo load balancing complete.

This is a shambles - what on earth is going on with BAs IT?
At this point they might be quite grateful if they could blame it on Russia...
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Whether this is a DDOS or a general systems failure, BA Twitter hasn't seen fit to enlighten us.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
It might have been me!

I was part way through doing an avios reward flight booking for me and my mate, but it kicked me out, then I couldn't get it to load again. 🙄
ttama and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
I'm on the 142 to Manchester, loaded up .. but no paperwork so unable to leave. Was scheduled for 18:25

Seems that the crew have agreed to extend their discretionary hours being extended and now captains discretion. Not sure if we'll head off tonight.
becks1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.