Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Because of the scale of the disruption resulting from an IT system outage, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers.

Your travel plans are probably in tatters, you should give BA a chance to fix things for you.

Firstly do not cancel or refund or credit to a voucher your ticket if this option exists as you effectively voluntarily cancel the contract for transportation with BA by doing so and hence end any right to claim for replacement transport, duty of care, or anything else.
​​​​​​
If BA.com is working, at least give it a go and see if Manage my Booking is giving you any sensible options. You don't have to take the option(s) presented if they do not meet your needs and you might be able to find better options yourself. However, not that by default BA will be only offering rebooking onto BA and any Joint-Ventre carriers and possible OneWorld partners. If there are no sensible options, document it (take a picture). Also try the BA app, it may work when the website doesn't, or vice versa. Take a screenshot of any errors you get when trying to log in or do anything reasonable.
Try calling the call centre. You probably won't get through in a sensible length of time, but document that you made several calls. Take a screenshot and save it.

If you have made reasonable attempts to contact BA and have not been able to do so, this now puts you in a strong position to organise your own onward travel arrangements, and to claim the difference from BA later. You need to act reasonably, choose travel arrangements that are similar where possible to what you had purchased from BA, and where possible you should document with photos or screen shots that the actions you are taking are reasonable, there are no other cheaper options. Even if you don't plan to use it for booking, use a comparison service to show current market costs for the transport you are choosing. BA should respond positively to customer service claims for the cost of onward transport where you can show that BA were unable to provide you timely assistance to rebook. You should do this bearing in mind what coverage you might have from your own travel insurance policy and whether your planned trip is salvageable or if it is entirely in vain and should be abandoned. Note that BA are not responsible for consequential costs beyond their initial contract for transport, but any insurance you may have could be.
​​​
BA have a duty of care under the UK successor to EU Regulation 261/2004 and based upon forum experience the following costs would usually be claimable from BA without any significant pushback.

Ł25 for reasonable meal/refreshment expenses (per adult per day)
2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required in a location a significant distance from your home address
Ł200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
Ł50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care as indicated above, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met, but having additional evidence or justification for costs going over these limits would be sensible. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage - see https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amaged-baggage

Set your expectation for the turnaround time for any refunds, claims, etc. It could be more like weeks rather than days, consider this if cashflow is concern.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.
Print Wikipost

"Systems Down" 22-26 Feb 2022 [General discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by abligh
I made a cash booking earlier to day with no problems. Now trying to do a relatively simple Avios redemption, but got "Sorry, we have been unable to complete your transaction at this time. We're sorry, we are unable to process your request. Please contact your local British Airways office." twice. Oh hold to GGL line for 30 minutes thus far.

The funny thing is that I don't know whether this is BA's IT system suffering from the outage, or "working" as normal.
I would respectfully ask, does this booking need to be made today? With thousands of passengers needing immediate assistance to get home, could your booking wait?
HarryHolden68 and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Most of us dont “need” to travel at all. We want to.

so I might suggest to stop defending them and simply admit that they are simply incompetent and unable to manage their core business. They are a national embarrassment
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:27 pm

Whats the earliest check in allowed at lhr? Flights at 7 but was hoping to check the qantas lounge out first so would need to check in by 1 (have silver status)
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Do you mean 7pm? You can check in any time after 5am.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by BLHD
I would respectfully ask, does this booking need to be made today? With thousands of passengers needing immediate assistance to get home, could your booking wait?
My sincere apologies for wishing to send BA some money (albeit only 600 quid in taxes etc) that they might spend on their IT system, by spending the Avios balance I have earned in the manner BA have previously promised was permissible. Instead perhaps we should commiserate with BA on their completely unpredictable misfortune of IT failure. After all, no one could possibly have predicted it given their past record.

If you’d actually like the context, my daughter, who is predictably less well off than me, is worried about booking her travel, and the number of Avios bootable seats was limited. She needs two, the website says seven, but (per other thread) the answer might be one. This isn’t the greatest disaster in the world. She’s not stuck in Ukraine. But FFS what is the point of being a member of a loyalty program earning hundreds of thousands of Avios a year if one can’t spend them? And if you reread my message, I was not even complaining about that, more the the total inability to distinguish between when BA’s IT system is working or “temporarily broken” given they appear to be much the same. Of course I have sympathy with “thousands of passengers needing immediate assistance to get home” - I expect they are neither trying to book Avios redemption bookings on line or are on hold to GGL dedicated line. To the extent they are, that sounds a lot like BA’s problem not mine.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:35 pm

I think to be fair if I had something to call ba about, and it wasn’t urgent, I think I may choose to leave it to Monday or Tuesday - if only for my own benefit as I am not good at being patient waiting on a phone line
LCY8737, aks120, Greenpen and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think to be fair if I had something to call ba about, and it wasn’t urgent, I think I may choose to leave it to Monday or Tuesday - if only for my own benefit as I am not good at being patient waiting on a phone line
Fair enough, but given on weekdays I work beyond the time of the line’s closure (lots of meetings with US colleagues and I don’t have a 30+ minute hold time to spare), that would effectively mean waiting until next weekend. But as far as I can remember, I wasn’t ranting about the GGL line. I’m all to used to that taking a while to answer, and the folks on the phone line are (mostly) great, when they actually answer. I was pointing out that the ONLINE system’s current state could not be distinguished between broken due to the outage and “working” as normal. I presume we aren’t all meant to stop using online systems when BA has one of it’s all too frequent problems?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Completely agreed!
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:47 pm

Fair enough, but given on weekdays I work beyond the time of the line’s closure (lots of meetings with US colleagues and I don’t have a 30+ minute hold time to spare), that would effectively mean waiting until next weekend. But as far as I can remember, I wasn’t ranting about the GGL line. I’m all to used to that taking a while to answer, and the folks on the phone line are (mostly) great, when they actually answer. I was pointing out that the ONLINE system’s current state could not be distinguished between broken due to the outage and “working” as normal. I presume we aren’t all meant to stop using online systems when BA has one of it’s all too frequent problems?
Well as you say, you are very familiar with the issues with the online system. And as you note there has been a little bit of trouble with the IT this weekend. It’s obviously not good, but not unexpected. We are all busy, but equally if you leave it a few days you probably won’t be waiting for 30 minutes on hold which you may well be today - and possibly only get an agent telling you they can’t do it either atm due to the same IT issue!

Patience grasshoper
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
I refuse to believe they are using fiber. I'm sure it's 10-Base2.
Agreed, and someone's knocked the terminator loose!
justin_krusty, wrp96 and plunet like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:18 pm

Do you mean 7pm? You can check in any time after 5am.
yep sorry 1900!!
ok brilliant thank you
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by efincomputer
I've got a spare somewhere... :-)
efincomputer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by efincomputer
Perhaps the solution is to let The Terminator loose somewhere close to BA HQ!
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC
As someone who canned a holiday as a result of disruption on Friday, a little frustrating to see folk still going on ‘jolly’s’ (flying there and back) today despite all of this.

Am sure there are many people desperate for a spare seat across flights today whether to head home or on holiday which would now be taken up by someone with no need to head to the destination and them simply wanting a lounge visit.

Just my thoughts..
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by londonba2014
As someone who canned a holiday as a result of disruption on Friday, a little frustrating to see folk still going on ‘jolly’s’ (flying there and back) today despite all of this.

Am sure there are many people desperate for a spare seat across flights today whether to head home or on holiday which would now be taken up by someone with no need to head to the destination and them simply wanting a lounge visit.

Just my thoughts..
At the end of the day BA is a business selling a service. What I do with that service is my choice. If BA can’t run it’s operations that’s not for me to cancel my purchase so it can reuse it.

If we now need to consider that BA might need our seats and we should only fly if we really need to should anyone bother giving BA any money?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.