Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What the hell is going on, BA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:44 am

Spoiler

They did send an apology, however, it wasn’t accompanied by any timeline for recovery or compensation, which is what Delta did when they had their operational meltdown at New Year’s.

Dear Customer,

I am writing to you as a valued British Airways customer that either travelled with us or was due to travel with us this weekend to apologise for the disruption you no doubt experienced.

Although our pilots managed to land our aircraft safely and skilfully in the extreme weather conditions presented by Storm Eunice, we know that once you were on the ground we weren’t able to provide you with the service you expected. We always try to ensure we’re ready to deal with the difficulties a situation like this throws at us, but often the events such as extreme weather on the ground can significantly hinder our ability to safely offload customers and bags. I know that this was an extremely frustrating experience for which we are deeply sorry.

Our customer relations team are working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you and we will address your query as quickly as possible.

Online support
If you have experienced disruption and need support from us, please visit ba.com/helpme where you can manage everything online.

Reuniting you with your baggage
If you are awaiting your baggage, it is our priority to reunite you with your baggage as soon as possible. You can report your missing bag, track progress and keep your details up to date here.

Claims
If you have put in an online claim, please be assured that we are working on these and you will receive an email every week to update you on the status.

Once again, I want you to know that whilst you may not feel it at the moment, we really do value your custom and appreciate your patience as we work through the backlog. We really hope we’ll have the chance to restore your faith in British Airways and offer you a warm welcome in the future.

Tom Stevens
Director of Brands & Customer Experience
British Airways
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So no one disputes the weather wasn't great yesterday, and under circumstances when the weather is poor of course flow rates decrease and potentially airlines are asked to reduce their schedules to accommodate that. You would expect delays and cancellations to affect all airlines relatively equally (within some sensible reason).

As an interesting exercise I looked through FR24 for arrivals and departures at LHR on Sunday from the first flight to the last just to see how this affected all airlines. I applied my admittedly rusty excel skills and I think I have come up with some results:

Departure Cancellations
BA - 66
All other airlines - 0

Arrivals Cancellations
BA - 60
All other airlines - 0

Average delays for flights that did operate (departures)
BA - 104 minutes
All other airlines - 38 minutes

Last edited by KARFA; Feb 21, 2022 at 12:42 pm
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:03 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KARFA
So no one disputes the weather wasn't great yesterday, and under circumstances when the weather is poor of course flow rates decrease and potentially airlines are asked to reduce their schedules to accommodate that. You would expect delays and cancellations to affect all airlines relatively equally (within some sensible reason).

As an interesting exercise I looked through FR24 for arrivals and departures at LHR on Sunday from the first flight to the last just to see who this affected all airlines. I applied my admittedly rusty excel skills and I think I have come up with some results:

Departure Cancellations
BA - 66
All other airlines - 0

Arrivals Cancellations
BA - 60
All other airlines - 0

Average delays for flights that did operate (departures)
BA - 104 minutes
All other airlines - 38 minutes
But, but, but.... Covid!
IAMORGAN and choosethedrew like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
But, but, but.... Covid Weather!
Fixed that for you, didnt you see my other post. Covid is over, Boris just announced it. New excuse/pretext needed!
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:31 pm

Those are shocking stats. Does the new CEO know these figures?
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Happy with 2 nights in the Crowne Plaza at GVA...spent the day wandering around town...thanks BA...!!

Far better than trying to land at City last night...back in J to LHR tomorrow with luck...

Chris
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by oneworldglobetrotter
Any debt BA has received has been on commercial terms and has also been available to other publicly traded companies in any industry...
I'm afraid that's simply not the case; the UK Export Development Guarantee lists having a minimum percentage of exports in its eligibility criteria. I work for a house builder and I am quite certain we would have taken out such a loan had it been available to us. But we weren't eligible, and neither should we have been. The wider point that these are stock loans at market rates available to anyone is not accurate. It may not have been a debenture like what I understand is the case with part of Lufthansa's package, but without the UK government, IAG would not have been able to access loans of the same size and / or at the same rates and therefore survive.

Back OT, I can only sympathise with the OP. My other half had a weather-related cancellation on FR at Eindhoven and naturally feared the worst. Luckily, it transpired he was travelling on an airline with slick and thorough disruption processes and was whisked away to another airport super-quick. The next day, he was sent a voucher for a flight anywhere on the FR network, without any prompting.

Let's see if BA can compare
SW7London and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.