T5 Luggage Delays

Old Feb 20, 22, 8:39 am

Vancouver Flight

Hi,

We were on the Vancouver flight yesterday. As mentioned over 3 hours delayed due to compounding issues, including two crew leaving at the last minute for compassionate reasons.

No bags loaded and we are self connecting today to Calgary and then driving to Banff for 10 days.

Im assuming BA will get our bags to us when they can. We are happy to buy essential clothing and toiletries and ask for reimbursement. What Im not sure about is the expensive ski gear. We can rent certain things, but will BA cover the cost of items such as ski jackets, thermals, gloves, goggles etc? Its going to be a high of -17 in Banff tomorrow and we had prepared and packed accordingly.

We have travel insurance which will cover up to 500 each, but the cost of replacement ski gear can easily exceed that.

Thanks.
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 20, 22, 8:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA will get the bags to you, whereever you are. I sometimes recount the scenario I saw once of someone travelling from EDI to LHR and then going on to West Falklands - BA got the bags there even though the traveller had paid only about 60 to get to London.

There isn't a set limit for essential replacements, but I would certainly get your insurers informed, you may need their money and BA's. You can claim replacement hire of skis and equipment, there is a total limit per passenger of about 1,300 per person. BA won't normally go beyond this, but they have been known to do so in out of court settlements. In a sense I am not sure the question arises - would you do nothing until the bags arrive if there was zero reimbursement? Surely not, so just proceed as if there was zero reimbursement but claim anyway.
jgeldof, where next, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 22, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
In a sense I am not sure the question arises - would you do nothing until the bags arrive if there was zero reimbursement? Surely not, so just proceed as if there was zero reimbursement but claim anyway.
You are right of course. Its just hard to think logically with a mix of jetlag, excitement after not skiing for over two years and frustration at having to spend the best part of a day hunting down replacement year! But we wont let it ruin the trip.
Old Feb 20, 22, 10:16 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Warning to anyone looking for a relaxing end to a half term break: chaos at T5 today, with people being told to go home and await notification of luggage. Belts full from flights that landed 10 hours ago. Im a forgiving sort, but this is ridiculous.

Chaos again today. Luggage on the carousel from flights that landed 10 hours ago. Its hypnotic.

It is quite shameful to see the BA flight and cabin crew removing bags from the carousel. What is going on at T5?

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 12, 22 at 6:43 am Reason: merge three consecutive posts
Old Feb 20, 22, 10:40 am

Programs: BA
This sort of thing was a problem after disruption pre COVID, I guess that the reduced number of flights is also followed by a similar ratio of fewer staff? I hope that they get this right as during disruption the BA T5 operation does still have a habit of falling apart.
Old Feb 20, 22, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Seems to happen a lot on Sundays at present, especially those with a higher than average level of traffic.

I had a flight cancelled due to baggage issues the weekend before Christmas, for similar reasons (lack of ground crew). No resistance from BA on paying EC261 compensation, apart from losing the my response containing the bank details for transfer!
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 20, 22, 10:50 am

I see a tweet from BA in the last 15 mins saying that customers may have to wait a little longer than normal for their bags. Based on some of the stories in this thread that would seem to be so understated as being disingenuous.
wrp96 and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 20, 22, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
2 of 3 bags from yesterday identified inside 24h, and I presume to be couriered in the coming days. No news on the third yet...
Old Feb 20, 22, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by goingforapee View Post
Book with the hope that

you get to your destination
you get the service you paid for
you get your luggage

😏
(Talking of baggage...)

You get edible food!

rb211.
goingforapee likes this.
Old Feb 20, 22, 11:21 am

Beyond frustrating. Filed a missing bag report as requested by BA online.

only to receive this email:

What to do next

Dear ,
Thank you for reporting your missing baggage. We are very sorry for this inconvenience and are working hard to find your baggage and return it to you as soon as possible.
Your baggage report number is

the baggage report number is blank.

go back into ba.com to retry creating a missing bag report with my baggage receipt # on my boarding pass, only to get an error message saying they cant match the information.

get a text from BA after making my way home:
We are sorry to report that 1 checked bag/s did not reach your flight today. Please go to the airport Baggage Desk for more info. Ref: xxxxxxxxx

i try to enter that ref# text into check the status of your missing baggage link.

another error.

try to call the gold line. We cant take calls now.

This is worse than a start-up online retailer in terms of service. The BA website does not work, and you cant even speak to a human.

ffs. 😡

Last edited by goingforapee; Feb 20, 22 at 11:36 am
Old Feb 20, 22, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Already being reported on this thread ( photos included)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-19th-feb.html

What a mess ( I will be travelling EDI-LHR then overnight then LHR-DXB next weekend- going to pack more essentials in my carry on)

Regards

TBS
Lefly likes this.
Old Feb 20, 22, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

Already being reported on this thread ( photos included)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-19th-feb.html

What a mess ( I will be travelling EDI-LHR then overnight then LHR-DXB next weekend- going to pack more essentials in my carry on)

Regards

TBS
Youre checking luggage ? surely no one round these parts does !?
Old Feb 20, 22, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Youre checking luggage ? surely no one round these parts does !?
Hi,

Well off to dubai for a week ( and will need space to bring back Expo2020 souveniers )

Regards

TBS
LCSinTexas and Loungeabout like this.
Old Feb 20, 22, 12:51 pm

have gone HBO for three weeks. It’s always possible
Old Feb 20, 22, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Well off to dubai for a week ( and will need space to bring back Expo2020 souveniers )
A palm tree presumably?

Anything under 6 months = HBO only.

Search this Thread