Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Club Europe seating 3-3 on some routes [to help clear storm disruption backlog]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire

BA decided to remove the middle seat blocker on some routes today so you can expect CE as 3-3 same as economy.
Probably they try to squeeze as many passengers as much they can.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:06 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Weird - I'd just noticed that on my NCE flight this evening and thought it was an IT issue.

M
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Middle CE seats now available for the nanny :-)
Markie, jamiel, SK and 104 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Often happens during times of IROPS to recover the operation ASAP.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
This happened after a storm a few years back. While very annoying in some respects, I'm of the belief that a little empathy is needed in times like these. It's not something that happens every week and getting people from A to B after such disruption should be the priority. A lot of flights were cancelled. Some gesture of compensation for club customers should be made by BA, perhaps enough Avios for an intra European upgrade (i.e 5 to 8k), but who knows what will, if anything, be done
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTmex
This happened after a storm a few years back. While very annoying in some respects, I'm of the belief that a little empathy is needed in times like these. It's not something that happens every week and getting people from A to B after such disruption should be the priority. A lot of flights were cancelled. Some gesture of compensation for club customers should be made by BA, perhaps enough Avios for an intra European upgrade (i.e 5 to 8k), but who knows what will, if anything, be done
I have all my emphaty for the passengers. However BA was ill prepared as always. My flight from LIS tonight still just a tiny A319 as scheduled. They could have prepared better and plan ahead. I know they are short of everything, but myself as a passenger I can’t see anything they try to mitigate any issues, they never own up their mistakes and of course wouldn’t even bother to apologise or compensate. I have 0 sympathy for BA.
Vaclav, mrow, 1Aturnleft and 13 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Krisz
I have all my emphaty for the passengers. However BA was ill prepared as always. My flight from LIS tonight still just a tiny A319 as scheduled. They could have prepared better and plan ahead. I know they are short of everything, but myself as a passenger I can’t see anything they try to mitigate any issues, they never own up their mistakes and of course wouldn’t even bother to apologise or compensate. I have 0 sympathy for BA.
I was referring to empathy for other passengers, but out of curiosity what would you expect BA to do in this situation? Switching to bigger aircraft just like that isn't all that practical.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
I was referring to empathy for other passengers, but out of curiosity what would you expect BA to do in this situation? Switching to bigger aircraft just like that isn't all that practical.
I guess the most equitable way of balancing the interests of those with a CE booking on the flight and those who have been stranded is to go to 3+3 to maximise passenger numbers but accept that the CE passengers have been downgraded to economy and compensate them accordingly.
AntonS, Vaclav, LCY8737 and 28 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am struggling to remember whether CE passengers were compensated last time this happened which I think was in 2019 or early 2020? I suspect they were not, although they should be.
Vaclav, Grande Annee and TTmex like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:48 am
Original Poster

well we knew about the storm about a good week ago. Everyone but BA knew that there will be cancellations. Flights from LIS this weekend always full as school holiday season so they knew it very well days ahead. I’m pretty sure there are clever people who can draw up plans and there should be a well established exercise on the day and the following days too. However they opt as usual to put their heads in the sand to wait until the storm is over. And I wouldn’t dare to know what will happen my checked in bags today which again shouldn’t be my worry.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by CCayley
I guess the most equitable way of balancing the interests of those with a CE booking on the flight and those who have been stranded is to go to 3+3 to maximise passenger numbers but accept that the CE passengers have been downgraded to economy and compensate them accordingly.
I agree, hence my comment before regarding Avios comp. Could be a cash component too, but I suppose they'll argue the food and drink etc is still offered so you're getting part of the product. I do disagree with the idea that BA never owns it's mistakes. I was disrupted by weather a few years back and had to overnight in Krakow. The ground handling was poor and BA gave us 10k Avios each and a verbal apology by phone. I do believe BA must be more proactive rather than reactive with compensation in these cases and by not doing so are shooting themselves in the foot.

​​​​

​​​​​
​​​​
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you're travelling with the missus could you end up with a stranger sitting in between you?
Vaclav, Dicksbits and TedToToe like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Krisz
well we knew about the storm about a good week ago. Everyone but BA knew that there will be cancellations. Flights from LIS this weekend always full as school holiday season so they knew it very well days ahead. I’m pretty sure there are clever people who can draw up plans and there should be a well established exercise on the day and the following days too. However they opt as usual to put their heads in the sand to wait until the storm is over. And I wouldn’t dare to know what will happen my checked in bags today which again shouldn’t be my worry.
While you can see the storm coming, you can't know for sure which flights will be disrupted for sure and how many passengers will or won't end up flying. BA did offer to move people on to earlier flights at no charge and I've benefited from this before when a winter storm was on the way.

What if your plane had been a A321? Would it have be feasible to substitute it with a 777 to fly you to LIS? Airline operations don't work like that and different planes would have been displaced all over Europe.

I certainly agree BA need to compensate passengers for the loss of the middle seat etc, but I don't think they can expected to know exactly how and where a storm will blow.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you're travelling with the missus could you end up with a stranger sitting in between you?
1. Some might quietly regard such an outcome as a godsend!
2. No doubt the stranger would readily swap seats to reunite the couple (and escape the middle seat).
Vaclav, HIDDY, cad-spe and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well let's put it this way, having to cancel all domestic flights 2 days after a storm due to lack of ground staff is not indicative of an operationally robust airline. Added to that, what is running today all seems delayed by 1-2 hours at least, and often going without bags. Now in times where extra resources you would hope you can count on staff to perhaps put in overtime and work extra shifts, but as all the goodwill has gone due to what BA has done over recent years, it is not surprising that this isn't happening. We already saw this earlier in the year when weekends in particular were dire for performance due to lack of ground staff.

Now, if I was flying tomorrow in CE of course I would be willing to give up a blocked seat to help others complete their journey. I would hope that BA pro-actively compensate those who were booked in CE, but we all know they won't and if you complained they would tell you to get stuffed with the usual standard template.
SK, AntonS, Vaclav and 33 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.