Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AMEX tell me BA cannot process online payments due to PSD2?!

AMEX tell me BA cannot process online payments due to PSD2?!

Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:18 am

I haven't been able to pay off my BA Amex over the last few days.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
We had the same problem with Iberia two weeks ago. Two different Amex and one Mastercard wouldnt go through, the Mastercard called me later for a fraud check. Tried to pay over the phone, but apparently Iberia cant take phone payments!

Ended up booking the flights through amex travel, but it still required a call to and to complete the payment. I suspect the reasons were related.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 6:18 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
On other forums people are reporting similar problems with all sorts of cards and all sorts of retailers, and receiving the same excuses of PSD2. So BA may not be completely at fault.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Not specific to this issue, but I have had a noticeable number of initially declined transactions on BA and BAH over the past 3/4 years. Often the payment request doesnt reach the card issuer.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
One way flight purchased with my BAPP just now with no issues.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
i tried to add it yesterday as I thought that might be a work around but the safe list option was not showing on my Amex account.
​​​​​​​I think it only gives you the option to add a merchant to the safe list on the 3DS v2 exit page. If you're not currently able to get a transaction to work I am not sure you can add to the safe list..
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:25 am

Believe it or not, BA is fully compliant with PSD2, and was actually one of the first merchants in the UK to achieve this. There may well be a different issue, apparently BAH related from the posts above but its not related to SCA. Wonder if Amex CC agents make things up the way every other companys agents seem to, rather than admit they dont know the answer?
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Confus
Believe it or not, BA is fully compliant with PSD2, and was actually one of the first merchants in the UK to achieve this. There may well be a different issue, apparently BAH related from the posts above but its not related to SCA. Wonder if Amex CC agents make things up the way every other companys agents seem to, rather than admit they dont know the answer?
I did wonder, after the data breach that affected credit card data I kinda assumed that BA's card handling processes would be some of the best in the country (a) money would be thrown at the issue to make it right with the best resource being found to advise or do it, (b) their acquiring bank would be all over BA auditing what was being done and how and all the boxes being ticked, and (c) they would probably have been paying penalty commission rates on all transactions until they were compliant...
​​​​​​
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I've spent ages messaging with AMEX today being repeatedly referred to PSD2.

Anyway I was just able to pay for both my flight only and BAH bookings on two seperate BA Amex cards without difficulty.

I usually find AMEX really go but they've been so annoying I've escalated to a formal complaint given I've wasted hours trying to get to the bottom of a problem that seemingly was never real.
FEasy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.