London to Lima on BA Avios - any way?

Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba
Unhappy London to Lima on BA Avios - any way?

Hi all, first post here - have been lurking for a long time!
I am trying to book a flight from the UK to Lima for my mother (72 y/o) at the end of Feb this year.
I can't see a way to do this now that BA have dropped the route. I have 1M ba avios and about 100k Amex points.
My Iberia plus account was only opened on the 4th Jan (need 90 days to be able to transfer avios from BA to Iberia) so can't do this.
Any thoughts?

Many thanks

J
Old Feb 16, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Are you trying to book for Feb 2022 or Feb 2023?

If Feb 2022 then it might be too late as all the avios availability may have been taken up.

This might be a better question for the British Airways forum as it relates to using BA avios.

I will ask the moderators to move this.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by James Oliver
Hi all, first post here - have been lurking for a long time!
I am trying to book a flight from the UK to Lima for my mother (72 y/o) at the end of Feb this year.
I can't see a way to do this now that BA have dropped the route. I have 1M ba avios and about 100k Amex points.
My Iberia plus account was only opened on the 4th Jan (need 90 days to be able to transfer avios from BA to Iberia) so can't do this.
Any thoughts?

Many thanks

J
Subject to award-seat availability, BA Avios can be redeemed for travel on any oneworld carrier -- no transfer to IB is required. So travel via MAD on IB, or via MIA or DFW on AA or BA/AA can be booked with BA Avios. (But booking LHR-MAD-LIM with IB Avios would likely have a lower cash component than booking that route with BA Avios.)

If searching for LON-LIM with Avios on ba.com yields nothing for AA or IB, I would search for each leg individually; if you find an acceptable routing, call BA to book it -- and request that BA waive the telephone-booking fee if the website is unable to book both legs on a single ticket.

​​​​​​
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I think the issue is simply that there is no Iberia reward availability, not that you need an Iberia account.

While LATAM has now left OneWorld, there are still some very good one way fares from Madrid to Lima (as there are on Iberia, but which has fewer available dates).

My recommendation, if she is a confident traveller, would be to book her a flight to Madrid, have her spend the night in a hotel at Madrid Airport (maybe you would travel with her for this) and then have her fly on a one-way cash booking MAD-LIM (which would be a pretty mediocre use of Avios even if there were availability, although not quite as expensive on fees/miles as I thought).

Last edited by Cymro; Feb 16, 2022 at 8:41 am
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Hi James,

As others have mentioned you can use your BA avios on Iberia flights however there doesn't look to be much availability. Since you have 100k Amex points this leaves you with many more options. A quick search for you shows lots of availability in business class with KLM going London-Amsterdam-Lima or Air France going London-Paris-Lima. You can book these by either transferring your Amex points to KLM (Flying blue), Virgin Atlantic or Delta. Note that both virgin and delta transfers are instant however the transfer time to KLM can be a few days.

Availability:
Pretty much every day at the end of this month and beginning of March has availability.

Costs:
Virgin Atlantic - 87,500 points + 413
Delta - 90,000 points + 358
KLM - 79,000 + 370

Here is an example for 26/02/22:

I think given the sheer amount of availability (many days have more than 6 seats for redemption) I would be tempted to transfer to KLM flying blue and wait for the transfer to complete and get them at the lower points amount.

Cheers
Cymro likes this.

Last edited by pogonation; Feb 16, 2022 at 8:58 am
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On February 25, AA has low-tier ("MileSAAver") award seats available from LHR to DFW, and then from DFW to LIM; those seats should be bookable with BA Avios.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by pogonation
Costs:
Virgin Atlantic - 87,500 points + 413
Delta - 90,000 points + 358
KLM - 79,000 + 370

I think given the sheer amount of availability (many days have more than 6 seats for redemption) I would be tempted to transfer to KLM flying blue and wait for the transfer to complete and get them at the lower points amount.

Cheers
Given the relative frequency of posts over on the Flying Blue pages of people with brand-new Flying Blue accounts running into problems when booking tickets for travel by third parties after transferring over large point balances from a credit card account, I would not recommend going with the KLM/Flying Blue option, but would for example use VS instead.

If the OP already has an existing Flying Blue account which has seen "normal" use (i.e. earning by flying), then it shouldn't be an issue.
pogonation likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR-DFW-LIM on AA should cost 45,000 BA Avios + taxes, fees, and carrier surcharges.

LHR-MIA-LIM would cost fewer Avios, but does not appear to be available for late-February travel.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
LHR-DFW-LIM on AA should cost 45,000 BA Avios + taxes, fees, and carrier surcharges.

LHR-MIA-LIM would cost fewer Avios, but does not appear to be available for late-February travel.
Is the OP not looking for business? I had just assumed so. It is worth making him aware that the doing an AA redemption would carry 300 taxes and surcharges on an over 20hr trip with a stop in USA that requires her to go through customs and collect baggage. If the aim is to get there in economy then he would be best off saving avios and booking with LATAM or KL on a more direct route for around 400-470.
Cymro likes this.

Last edited by pogonation; Feb 16, 2022 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the OP not looking for business? I had just assumed so. It is worth making him aware that the doing an AA redemption would carry 300 taxes and surcharges on an over 20hr trip with a stop in USA that requires her to go through customs and collect baggage. If the aim is to get there in economy then he would be best off saving avios and booking Avianca for 275 with a much nicer connection as follows:

For what date of travel is that fare quote? The OP's mother wants to travel later this month.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
For what date of travel is that fare quote? The OP's mother wants to travel later this month.
My bad.. hadn't checked the date from a previous search. Had already edited my OP. Still much better options for an extra 100-200.
Cymro and guv1976 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Definitely send her via MAD. Much less hassle for her.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
You can do LHR-MAD-LIM on one ticket on IB Y for 420 on 24 February; the base fare is 138, so you're spending a lot of avios for your 120.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Given the relative frequency of posts over on the Flying Blue pages of people with brand-new Flying Blue accounts running into problems when booking tickets for travel by third parties after transferring over large point balances from a credit card account, I would not recommend going with the KLM/Flying Blue option, but would for example use VS instead.

If the OP already has an existing Flying Blue account which has seen "normal" use (i.e. earning by flying), then it shouldn't be an issue.
That’s an interesting point. I saw posts about this with EK Skywards but not AF/KLM Flying Blue.

I myself have a FB account for some significant time now (I think it was elite+ at some point - opened with a status match and then used it instead of Delta for awhile). I’m just a base level (Ivory do they call it?) now as all my earnings recently are through my DL Platinum Medallion account.

But I have a lot of points in banking partners with Flying Blue, so had been keeping in my back pocket that if I really needed something only their program could do, I’d transfer over and book with them. Sometimes I do this when I want to move a very close friend of mine around, which potentially (and understandably) can be the bigger problem as they are a separate party and that seems to be the kind of thing that messed up EK’s handling of such matters.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:04 pm

Is the OP not looking for business? I had just assumed so. It is worth making him aware that the doing an AA redemption would carry 300 taxes and surcharges on an over 20hr trip with a stop in USA that requires her to go through customs and collect baggage. If the aim is to get there in economy then he would be best off saving avios and booking with LATAM or KL on a more direct route for around 400-470.
If connecting on AA from Europe in MIA or DFW, there is no requirement to collect baggage as these airports have an I-I transfer exemption. You do need to pass through immigration, which tends to be quick in both of these locations nowadays.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.