Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

Storm Eunice (Friday 18 Feb 2022) (and Dudley Wed 16)

Old Feb 15, 22, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ

I'm flying from / to LHR on Friday and have been checking the weather every now and then hoping things stay sane - I've just noticed storms Dudley and Eunice are on their way to the UK this week. Dudley looks like it'll likely not impact London, but Eunice on Friday could be a bit more interesting...

BBC article on both storms: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60373380

Linked in the article is a tweet, captioned below
Explosive cyclogenesis will take place later this week. A small low will form over the mid-Atlantic on Thursday and then deepen rapidly. Named #StormEunice it will impact the #UK on Friday. A yellow warning is in force but Amber warnings are likely nearer the time. Stay tuned!
No idea what explosive cyclogenesis is but I can't say it sounds fun...

I'm due to fly LHR-FCO first flight of the day on Friday (BA554) with hopefully enough time to turn round and fly back in the evening (BA550), starting a more complex itinerary, connecting to QF on Saturday to Sydney (with a night planned at home in between). Normal people think I'm mad but I jagged a J fare for about half what it was from LHR so I trust this group will understand my methods!

My FCO-LHR-SYD is one ticket and through checked, my LHR-FCO is an award seat which is easily changed/cancelled if need be.

It looks like a fairly short, fairly intense storm from the forecast at the moment (https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2022-02-18) but would appreciate thoughts.

As I'm on the first flight down it's maybe safer to assume the flight will fly, maybe meaning I've got nothing to worry about?

becks1 and LancashireFlyer like this.
Old Feb 15, 22, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by pythonisman View Post
I'm flying from / to LHR on Friday and have been checking the weather every now and then hoping things stay sane - I've just noticed storms Dudley and Eunice are on their way to the UK this week. Dudley looks like it'll likely not impact London, but Eunice on Friday could be a bit more interesting...

BBC article on both storms: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60373380

Linked in the article is a tweet, captioned below
https://twitter.com/DerekTheWeather/...75630028820483

No idea what explosive cyclogenesis is but I can't say it sounds fun...

I'm due to fly LHR-FCO first flight of the day on Friday (BA554) with hopefully enough time to turn round and fly back in the evening (BA550), starting a more complex itinerary, connecting to QF on Saturday to Sydney (with a night planned at home in between). Normal people think I'm mad but I jagged a J fare for about half what it was from LHR so I trust this group will understand my methods!

My FCO-LHR-SYD is one ticket and through checked, my LHR-FCO is an award seat which is easily changed/cancelled if need be.

It looks like a fairly short, fairly intense storm from the forecast at the moment (https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2022-02-18) but would appreciate thoughts.

As I'm on the first flight down it's maybe safer to assume the flight will fly, maybe meaning I've got nothing to worry about?

Potentially the case however if the FCO-LHR leg is cancelled and you are rebooked FCO-DOH-SYD by the FCO ticket desk and all you have is your phone, passport, iPad, wallet and charger please come back and start a thread, Our esteemed CWS will be able to add value with a list of laundrettes etc like someone in a similar scenario did before.
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 22, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post
Potentially the case however if the FCO-LHR leg is cancelled and you are rebooked FCO-DOH-SYD by the FCO ticket desk and all you have is your phone, passport, iPad, wallet and charger please come back and start a thread, Our esteemed CWS will be able to add value with a list of laundrettes etc like someone in a similar scenario did before.

Cheers. I will be taking all with me that I need for the whole trip, I think! Plan for the worst and hope for the best and all that!

I hadn't really thought about a reroute from FCO to Aus if my BA inbound flight gets cancelled. What I'd hope to avoid would be EK (due to the QF partnership) with a whole lot of angle-flat J flying around at the moment. QR would be much nicer.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Feb 15, 22, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Positioning to GLA Friday lunchtime for an ex GLA Sofia. Pray for me.
The _Banking_Scot and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 15, 22, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
Positioning to GLA Friday lunchtime for an ex GLA Sofia. Pray for me.
🙏
Fingers crossed indeed- at least it looks like the worst of the wind is meant to be Wed/Thu for GLA 🤞🏻

Friday looks snowy though!
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Feb 15, 22, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Man proposes, the Gods dispose.

Best wishes to all those scheduled during these weather events.
pythonisman, m8_rotate and LSSI92 like this.
Old Feb 15, 22, 11:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by pythonisman
Dudley Wednesday
For clarity, I have updated the delightful Pythonism in the thread title.
pythonisman likes this.
Old Feb 15, 22, 1:59 pm

I'm due to fly on BA173 to JFK at 11:25 on Friday. Fully expecting at least a long delay
Old Feb 15, 22, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Edi-lcy

I'm due to fly EDI-LCY tomorrow at the height of Dudley, 8pm. Not feeling overly optimistic at this point, and also just got an email from ScotRail that all services cancelled from 4pm. I'm north of the bridges as well...

Maybe early into Edinburgh before everything closes down, sister in Inverleith so I've somewhere to hunker down.
Old Feb 16, 22, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Have just been reading the weather reports. Flying LHR-EDI at 18:30 this evening

Last edited by csdavidson; Feb 16, 22 at 2:40 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 16, 22, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond

Looking like a very stormy day Friday in the southern half of the UK, models agreeing its going to be wild. An Amber warning has now been issued, may well be upgraded to a Red warning tomorrow.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 22, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Are those figures in mph?? 😬

Would I be better trying to move my positioning flight to tomorrow night rather than risk the first flight of the outbound long haul trip?
Old Feb 16, 22, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite, Hertz 5*
Calm before the storm at LHR this morning; beautiful sunny morning and breezy!

Old Feb 16, 22, 5:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Doesn't BA have travel advisories and waivers on ticket changes to try to get people out of the way of the worst of the disruptions?
Old Feb 16, 22, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pythonisman View Post
Are those figures in mph?? 😬

Would I be better trying to move my positioning flight to tomorrow night rather than risk the first flight of the outbound long haul trip?

Yes wind gusts in MPH.
alex67500 likes this.

Search this Thread