Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Storm Eunice (Friday 18 Feb 2022) (and Dudley Wed 16)

Storm Eunice (Friday 18 Feb 2022) (and Dudley Wed 16)

Old Feb 20, 2022, 4:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mad_rich
Hmm. Last night's NCL cancelled. I booked my own hotel. Now the flight I've been rebooked on is cancelled too.

If I take the refund and take my chances on the East Coast Mainline, will they wriggle out of reimbursing my hotel last night?
I suspect they will pay that, so long as it's below Ł200. If they do push back then you could MCOL / CEDR it with a high chance of success.
mad_rich likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 5:06 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by KARFA
i am not quite sure of that. if the underlying cause of the delay is the horrendous weather yesterday i don't think you would get very far with a compensation claim
I could not agree with you more. I do recall a similar incident in December 2006 - in face that same day a Tornado touched down in North London. LHR was in chaos. What happens was that everything runs slow as they reduce the number of landings and take offs. As often happens this starts to escalate because the aircraft land late - they leave late and the crews which are scheduled to operate a further sector are not in position as they are stuck out at turn around points. I can well imagine that this had taken some time to filter and there are always some flights which are hit harder than others. I cannot see BA paying a penny in compensation and frankly I do not blame them. That they reimburse people for accommodation due to missed connections or cancellations at the last minute is another matter. I would imagine that the hotels near LHR would have filled to capacity with all the passengers from all the airlines. Frankly anyone who got in or managed to leave on Friday did well - many did not.

What no one has mentioned - and I will stand correction on this - is that not one person was actually hurt or was there a serious incident. When I saw that TAP aircraft float and decide to get the hell out to ORY, I did not blame him. One of my most terrifying flights ever was as a passenger on an Air Inter Caravelle on approach into ORY from Mulhouse in a very powerful thunderstorm.We went around at Orly as close to the ground we hit massive amounts of rain and we could all feel the aircraft being pulled down. I do not know how else to describe it. I am not giving to screaming but many others did as I think that we allthought that our last hour had come. We came back and landed without incident. Compensation did not enter into my thinking as I was extremely glad to land and , in spite of the rain which came back to greet us running in to the terminal, and get to somewhere and change my knickers. I had done some landings at BCAL but this was something else.

So frankly I am far from surprised that there have been cancellations and major inconveniences to many , and you have my sympathy with this - but you are all here reading this, thank God. I do not hold out much chance for the beginning of the week either as tonight is supposed to have high winds. I suppose that the next thing is that the UK will be under feet of snow! Roll on spring.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I suspect they will pay that, so long as it's below Ł200. If they do push back then you could MCOL / CEDR it with a high chance of success.
Luckily I am not affected but for future reference, in a situation like today, where both afternoon LHR-NCL services have been cancelled, is there an allowance to be rebooked on LNER? And what is the mechanism for this in terms of arranging the train ticket?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 5:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by G_CIVV
Luckily I am not affected but for future reference, in a situation like today, where both afternoon LHR-NCL services have been cancelled, is there an allowance to be rebooked on LNER? And what is the mechanism for this in terms of arranging the train ticket?
Contact centres do have the ability to rebook onto LNER, LNER is one of those companies that uses a ticketing process that can translate to a rail ticket. There isn't an absolute right to transfer to LNER when self organised, but BA have paid this when there are few vialble alternatives.
G_CIVV likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
Me and Mrs are on one of the cancelled LHR-NCL flights this afternoon. Only found out checking phone on the Piccadilly line to T5. Will see what the First Wing can do for us.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Thanks. Only Ł99 on the hotel, and Ł40 on transport and food, which I think is reasonable.

I didn't know BA could rebook onto LNER. Although right now I suspect there's no chance of getting through to anyone at BA to do it. Ł200 for the cheapest ticket on LNER.

The current BA advice is 'don't come to the airport. Head home or to your destination and fill in a baggage report', which implies 'Sort yourself out and sort it out with us later' seems the best approach.

I wonder if I'll ever see my baggage again...
Old Feb 20, 2022, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by AleTrail
Me and Mrs are on one of the cancelled LHR-NCL flights this afternoon. Only found out checking phone on the Piccadilly line to T5. Will see what the First Wing can do for us.
Please report back on how you get on - it seems like the whole T5 operation has crumbled this weekend.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Getting to GLA…

We were booked on the 2000 BA 1494 LHR GLA that has been cancelled along with all others today from Heathrow… No email to tell us just happened to notice this morning. Have managed to get on the only LCY GLA 8730 at the same time and (so far) still operating. But not able to check in and not ticketed… Is this normal or are we potentially not actually on the flight? Paid for J and both BA gold FWIW (!)

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
I came in on the early flight from VIE to T3. They managed to get us on the ground 5 minutes ahead of schedule despite the headwind. However we were parked at a remote stand and then sat there for well over an hour because they could not find someone to move the stairs the few metres from where they were parked. The crew wee very good (and frustrated). They were due to operate another service, so knock on consequences there. The captain invited the children up front for selfies in his seat, so my daughter was happy at least. In T3 there were many piles of delayed luggage in the hall. Not a great start to the day, but I was happy not to be there in the previous days.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:36 am

I will just put the BA.com notice here, for future reference. It's notable that calling the contact centres isn't being encouraged.

Originally Posted by British Airways
Weather disruption
Answer Id 8799 Updated 20/02/2022 11.12 AM (UK time)

Summary
We are currently facing ongoing disruption as a result of storms in the UK and across Europe this week. We're sorry for the inconvenience we know this may have caused. Please rest assured we’ll do everything we can to help and we have volunteers from across the airline arriving at Heathrow to offer their support.

Safety is always our number one priority, but of course we're also doing everything we can to minimise disruption for our customers including putting on larger aircraft wherever possible and providing a range of flexible rebooking options, however you may experience delays in your journey.

f your short-haul flight is still operating on 20 February 2022 and you wish to change travel dates, you can do so for free up to and including 21 February 2022, by visiting Manage My Booking.

If your flight has been cancelled please don't come to the airport. You can visit Manage My Booking to view rebooking or refund options.

If you have experienced baggage delays, please complete a baggage report form to help us get your bags to you as quickly as possible. If you are still at the airport, we would recommend heading home or to your destination and we will courier your baggage to you at the earliest opportunity. Please ensure you’ve provided us with the correct contact information.

We'd like to thank customers for their patience through this difficult period and advise them to check the latest flight information on the Flight Status page and to make changes on Manage My Booking.
mad_rich likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Club: Gold HHons:Diamond FB:Ivory Accor:Plat Hertz: PC USA:GlobalEntry
in FirstWing now. BA are not rebooking anyone.
Lady walking round advising pax that because it’s because of the impending storm tonight that it’s not BAs fault and they will not pay for hotels.

A chap put her right in front of 2 distraught young girls who hadn’t a clue what to do.

anyway I’ve booked train home tomorrow because of engineering works today. Cheap hotel at Ł130 for 2 GCHs on this booking. Another day in London then.

BA Shambles.
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 6:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
in FirstWing now. BA are not rebooking anyone.
Lady walking round advising pax that because it’s because of the impending storm tonight that it’s not BAs fault and they will not pay for hotels.

A chap put her right in front of 2 distraught young girls who hadn’t a clue what to do.

anyway I’ve booked train home tomorrow because of engineering works today. Cheap hotel at Ł130 for 2 GCHs on this booking. Another day in London then.

BA Shambles.
This is utter BS, it is not because of the storm, and instead because BA don't have enough staff and can't turn around the aircraft. Now I wouldn't bother arguing with the stupid BA agent on the reason, but the lie of not paying for hotels is unforgivable since they are duty bound to do so regardless of the reason.

If I were you I would have told the chap and his two daughters to book a hotel and claim back later.

I would also add if you can rebook on MMB for a flight tomorrow do it now, domestic flights are looking very full now and if you leave it any longer you may not have any options.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 7:12 am

This is utter BS, it is not because of the storm, and instead because BA don't have enough staff and can't turn around the aircraft. Now I wouldn't bother arguing with the stupid BA agent on the reason, but the lie of not paying for hotels is unforgivable since they are duty bound to do so regardless of the reason.

If I were you I would have told the chap and his two daughters to book a hotel and claim back later.

I would also add if you can rebook on MMB for a flight tomorrow do it now, domestic flights are looking very full now and if you leave it any longer you may not have any options.
Unfortunately my MMB for this booking already had 2 previous cancellations on it (covid) so directs me to call centre. Call the Gold Line and a recording says they can’t accept calls at the moment.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I will just put the BA.com notice here, for future reference. It's notable that calling the contact centres isn't being encouraged.
Exactly. Flying OPO-LHR 19Feb scheduled for 1950 and the OPO staff was nice but, like all contract staff, clueless. When BA finally did cancel, I was on with a call center in a matter of minutes and had my LHR-LAX connection rebooked before OPO had food vouchers handed out. Going thru LHR today, all the customer service desks were jammed and I didn’t see many on the phone. I’m a big believer in call centers. In this regard BA didn’t disappoint.

Edit: My call was routed to India, and while reissuing tickets for that call center can be challenging, they succeeded.

Last edited by Tack; Feb 20, 2022 at 8:38 am
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro

Again spot on. Most of their continuing mess is a staffing issue. The fact that they sent me a text basically saying unloading of my baggage was not going to happen on arrival in LHR for “operational constraints” and to make a claim is s@&t. Even AA and it’s crap ramp service make an effort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.