Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Storm Eunice (Friday 18 Feb 2022) (and Dudley Wed 16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Storm Eunice (Friday 18 Feb 2022) (and Dudley Wed 16)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Has it calmed down a bit now? It seems to me that the drift angles are much smaller than they were a couple of hours ago, and FR24 shows a lot more inbound traffic to LHR.
The average wind speeds seem to be dropping slightly to the west of London now although it's still very gusty. What's making things easier at Heathrow is that the wind direction has changed so there is less crosswind component...

​​
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
BA661 from LCA which ended up diverting to NCL has just taken off to head back to LHR and try again!
That has been a long day for those passengers on an A320NEO!

BA583 from VCE which also diverted to NCL is now just north of London about to try again as well.

Pilot37
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by SxMan
and somebody, somewhere is getting the Ł2.99 per month from The XX thousand members to his channel.
Back in 2020 he was said to earn around $20k a month from his channel, from subscribers. He’s got a lot more now so presumably that figure is more.

The ‘fruit and veg’ stall manner is apparently part of the appeal as it makes it a lot more down to earth (ha ha) and accessible for people. One of his favourite sayings ‘he don’t like it’ has become a bit of a trademark.

I don’t object to his manner. If he was well spoken, calm and knowledgeable then the whole channel would be rather dull.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Big Jets is entertainment, why can’t some folk see that?
I agree, in the same way people watch F1: a key reason for the engagement is the perceived risk.

While the commentary might not be to everyone's taste I certainly find myself chuckling at his turn of phrase: I like it, a bit like Gregg Wallace on steroids, and I think that's part of the reason his channel is so successful. Those who find his patois too low-brow for them can always turn the volume down and turn the captions off, and should avoid engaging the services of black cabs.
zzz222, endoman, Kgmm77 and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Has it calmed down a bit now? It seems to me that the drift angles are much smaller than they were a couple of hours ago, and FR24 shows a lot more inbound traffic to LHR.
The BA907 landing (FRA-LHR) at 14:38 was already pretty uneventful.

Almost two hours late, but fortunately my onward BA297 is more than three hours delayed. Anyway, the BA907 crew was outstanding in handling the delay (certainly for CE pax ).
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84
​​​​​​Dear god, I wouldn’t want him serving my G&T …….
Easy on the T there... Easy.... Easy... That's poured like a boss.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Edit - Damn you Karfa!!!!

Shows different on FR24 :-

Better than:
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Landed virtually bump-free at 16.05 now that the wind is down the runway.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:57 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Executive Blue
Had I had that Bingo at nine this morning, I would've been drunk by 10.
paulaf likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
BA sent us an email trying to disguise our tech issue as a weather issue. Fortunately I spoke to the engineer fixing the broken panel in CW with a heat gun.

Now on the way to Jamaica hoping for lots of headwinds to trigger the eu261, we left almost 4 hours late. It was fairly hairy taking off from lgw with engines on full power (very noisy even in row 1) and a pretty steep ascent angle until we reached 10000 feet...
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

MAN seems to be having all the fun now. Lots of go-arounds. U2 from TFS had 2 goes already... seems to be contemplating a 3rd attempt.

Edit - actually looks to have diverted to LPL.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 1:02 pm

Had aborted landing on BA284 today, but luckily made it on the second go. They couldn't unload the plane so baggage reclaims was a mess with everyone trying to talk to 1 agent. Even with light loads BA at LHR was a mess due to the agents having to call up another call center to rebook or do anything at flight connections.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Is this the type of weather where the tower may also tell the pilot to initiate a go-around/missed approach?
Not particularly - weather like today is primarily about the info we give being as up to date as possible, so the instantaneous surface wind, the 2 minute average, any reported gusts above the average and any recent reports of wind shear. We will very rarely send someone around as it's unlikely there is an ATC reason to.

Our job on a day like today is more to assist than control - we don't control the weather (unfortunately)
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by olouie
Had aborted landing on BA284 today, but luckily made it on the second go. They couldn't unload the plane so baggage reclaims was a mess with everyone trying to talk to 1 agent. Even with light loads BA at LHR was a mess due to the agents having to call up another call center to rebook or do anything at flight connections.
Over here in Brussels, waited for 5h to finally board my flight to HEL (original dep time 19:15). Reason, some terminal A roof tiles came loose. So have of the terminal A is unusable meaning a lot of aircraft had to park at a remote station. Issue is, there are not enough busses and stairs to cater for this traffic.

we managed to board the AY flight but now we can’t leave, cause we can’t get ground crew to make the push back and the flight deck have no idea whether we will be able to load the luggage or not… so we are still waiting
LoungeEnthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.