Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Storm Eunice (Friday 18 Feb 2022) (and Dudley Wed 16)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Storm Eunice (Friday 18 Feb 2022) (and Dudley Wed 16)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
NCL is working normally, there are some Loganair cancellations, and a BA cancellation, all due to problems at the other end, but it's all pretty boring around here at the moment.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Big Jets TV looking fun
Watching this with flight radar is the most remarkable, and scary experience. So far only 2 out of 5 inbound flights have landed.
yellow_peril and paulaf like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Saint4805
The commentator would be right at home working on a fruit and veg stall in the east end of London.
He reminds of my friends when at the football ! Good luck to everyone travelling today. The crews will be earning their money today.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:00 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I was finding the subtitles quite entertaining - the machine is clearly struggling as much with his voice as the aircraft are with the wind - until he followed his observation about a TP's windshear go-around with an exhortation to the pilots to get the gear up.
......I switched it back on briefly at the point a plane was at least a minute away from touchdown only for him to excitedly say, "he really isn't happy, you can see he doesn't fancy this". How would he know the pilot's mood?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by Sigwx
And no doubt where they’ll stay. As others have said there will likely be more to come.
Sigwx (or indeed any other cabin crew): what goes through your mind in the days leading up to having to do the job in conditions like this? Do you get nervous, or is it just 'another day at the office'?
wrp96, Sigwx and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:02 am

The BA flight from ORD had two attempts to land before diverting to …….. Geneva! That’s a long way to go.
wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by BOH
......I switched it back on briefly at the point a plane was at least a minute away from touchdown only for him to excitedly say, "he really isn't happy, you can see he doesn't fancy this". How would he know the pilot's mood?
He doesn’t. We will likely be having a lot of winds out of limits and most likely predictive and reactive wind shear go arounds. I’d imagine tower reported winds and wind shear reports caused the earlier ‘slate clearing’ of the final approach as all of aircraft went around from wherever they were at that time on the final approach.
Always a great sense of satisfaction when getting the job done safely on days like today, but it certain gains your attention and we always pre briefed exactly what we expect from one another and what we will do given various possible scenarios.
wrp96 and Tobias-UK like this.

Last edited by Sigwx; Feb 18, 2022 at 2:16 pm
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
Sigwx (or indeed any other cabin crew): what goes through your mind in the days leading up to having to do the job in conditions like this? Do you get nervous, or is it just 'another day at the office'?
It’s another day in the office but one that requires more meticulous planning to know we’ve got a ‘safe’ (in terms of weather not doing anything stupid) alternative up our sleeves. For the flight itself lots of updates on winds to check limits and then a thorough briefing to check and set limits and expectations and to brief and go through various missed approach possibilities, setting of ‘bottom lines’, certainly in terms of fuel.

As for the execution, it is actually a mix of excitement and intense concentration but if any of us don’t like what we are seeing or feeling, then we go around as it’s always safer up aloft.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!

BA296 had a couple of goes and is now diverting. To GVA???? Why GVA? Very little option for pax to continue journey. There isn't much wind at EDI at the moment and that can easily handle a 787.
wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Gaza

BA296 had a couple of goes and is now diverting. To GVA???? Why GVA? Very little option for pax to continue journey. There isn't much wind at EDI at the moment and that can easily handle a 787.
various factors but the weather there is a safe bet based on forecast so it was nominated at the flight planning stage
wrp96 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Diverts that I am aware of:

BA675 from IST - Diverted to STN
BA583 from VCE - Diverted to NCL
BA296 from ORD - Diverted to ZRH
TP1354 from LIS - Diverted to CDG
MES201 from BEY - Diverted to FRA

Pilot37

Last edited by Pilot37; Feb 18, 2022 at 5:17 am
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by Sigwx
It’s another day in the office but one that requires more meticulous planning to know we’ve got a ‘safe’ (in terms of weather not doing anything stupid) alternative up our sleeves. For the flight itself lots of updates on winds to check limits and then a thorough briefing to check and set limits and expectations and to brief and go through various missed approach possibilities, setting of ‘bottom lines’, certainly in terms of fuel.

As for the execution, it is actually a mix of excitement and intense concentration but if any of us don’t like what we are seeing or feeling, then we go around as it’s always safer up aloft.
Thank you. I know I for one would be terrified, so that is incredibly reassuring. It's on days like today that I am in total awe of the job aircrew do.
paulaf, Sigwx and becks1 like this.

Last edited by ScruttonStreet; Feb 18, 2022 at 4:35 am
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:29 am

We had lots of rain earlier. Then clear blue skies.... Now it's quite windy.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Glad I’m not flying today.

I learnt something interesting that they don’t use the north runway on westerlies for landing in severe wind due to turbulence from all the hangars in the BA/VS maintenance/engineering centres. So no runway rotation at 3pm today.

thanks sigwx for the expert info!
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:49 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Absolutely - he has the most irritating manner - I wish that he's leave it to Jilly!
...and makes every approach sound like a potential crash is just seconds away. Just now he shouted, "SINK RATE, SINK RATE" at a plane coming in that landed perfectly OK. Next one was a rapid and loud shout out of, "TOO LOW, TOO LOW" - and another safely landed.

Talk about a moronic and inane OTT shouting session, does he even know what he is talking about?
Gastrocnemius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.