Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 BA56 LHR to JNB now zero’d out for April/May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 BA56 LHR to JNB now zero’d out for April/May

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Carps78
Sorry to be a pain and not fully up to speed on all the jargon yet but this thread peaked my interest as I am booked to fly to Jo'berg on the later flight (57) on May 9th returning June 1st on the earlier one (56). I noticed the 57 coming off sale several weeks ago and contacted BA about it on twitter and online chat. One assured me it was definitely running and the other said all he could tell me is what it was taken off sale while they were finalising their schedule. I need to book an onward flight to Namibia and can't do this until I know what's happening with that outbound flight.
You absolutely can book your onward flight from JNB right now if you are concerned about availability on that onward flight: Simply assume that you will fly as booked on the later flight (BA57). If you are moved to the earlier one (BA55), that will cause you no issues.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:48 am

Ah not as simple as that. The morning flight leaves about 10:40 so if I stay on booked flight then I can't make it. The next one is about 15.15 (off top of my head). A long wait! In that respect I'd rather they did move me to the earlier outbound as they I can make that 10:40 flight to Namibia. I just want to know soon so I can book that and relax. If I book the later flight to Namibia (based on my current flight they haven't yet cancelled) and then they move me to the earlier outbound from LHR that's a real PITA as I'll then be waiting 8hr at Jo'berg not the original 6, which would be bad enough.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carps78
Ah not as simple as that. ... A long wait! ... that's a real PITA as I'll then be waiting 8hr at Jo'berg not the original 6, which would be bad enough.
No, it really is as simple as that. If you book the long-haul on a 2-4-1 and you then need to make a separate booking for onward travel on an airline other than Comair, that's life. Many of us have been there, done that. You can either gamble on a move to BA55 at some point, or you can play it safe. Your worst-case scenario is a wait.

Or, if you want to get imaginative, you could book both JNB-WDH flights using appropriate fares.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
It's now just over 7 weeks until we are due to fly ABZ-LHR-JNB on BA55 which is still showing as a A380 in MMB. However it isn't for sale on the BA website as only BA57 (the later flight) is showing which is a 777. We assume that BA55 will be cancelled and we will (hopefully) be put on the BA57. Does anyone know how far in advance we will be notified of this change? We are concerned that we will end up without seats as there are far more seats on a 380 compared to a 777. We are booked in J, using a 2-4-1 companion voucher, we booked in July 2021. What would happen/be our best plan of action if we end up being bumped off the flight that day?

Thanks for any help, advice and wisdom.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by redrose59
It's now just over 7 weeks until we are due to fly ABZ-LHR-JNB on BA55 which is still showing as a A380 in MMB. However it isn't for sale on the BA website as only BA57 (the later flight) is showing which is a 777. We assume that BA55 will be cancelled and we will (hopefully) be put on the BA57. Does anyone know how far in advance we will be notified of this change? We are concerned that we will end up without seats as there are far more seats on a 380 compared to a 777. We are booked in J, using a 2-4-1 companion voucher, we booked in July 2021. What would happen/be our best plan of action if we end up being bumped off the flight that day?

Thanks for any help, advice and wisdom.
Seven weeks is a very long way off. But since you are Bronze, you can select seats at 7 days and normally that greatly reduces the chance of being bumped. Which is talked / fretted about more on FT than happens in real life.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's now just over 7 weeks until we are due to fly ABZ-LHR-JNB on BA55 which is still showing as a A380 in MMB. However it isn't for sale on the BA website as only BA57 (the later flight) is showing which is a 777. We assume that BA55 will be cancelled and we will (hopefully) be put on the BA57. Does anyone know how far in advance we will be notified of this change? We are concerned that we will end up without seats as there are far more seats on a 380 compared to a 777.
Don't assume anything. Given what I've just been seeing, you may get some news very soon.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's now just over 7 weeks until we are due to fly ABZ-LHR-JNB on BA55 which is still showing as a A380 in MMB.
BA55 LHR-JNB on 5 May is now back on sale. 3-class 777.

Not often I see this happening right in front of my own eyes.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Globaliser

Oooo thanks, thats great news.
I don't mind which aircraft as long as we get there. This is a trip originally booked for 2020, then rearranged for 2021 and now for this year. With each postponement we have added time and we're now up to 7 weeks lol. I didn't fancy trying to rearrange a 7 week itinerary over 3 different countries.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser

Yup. Our BA56 JNB - LHR on 02 May has re-appeared for sale and has been changed from 380 to 777.
We have been allocated new seats (upper deck on 777 might be a little windy), so it looks as though this flight might actually happen after all.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:05 am

In JNB right now and 2 BA A380s on
the ground, so looks like one has
gone tech - again!!
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by aristoph
In JNB right now and 2 BA A380s on
the ground, so looks like one has
gone tech - again!!

Hi

I think konagirl2 reported in the ba comair suspension thread that last nights ba54 was cancelled due to an instrument issue and will hopefully get away later today

Regards

Tbs
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:17 am

Looks like BA57 didn’t come down from LHR last night but is on its way during the day. That means tonight’s BA 54 will return at an estimated 1am departure (assuming it doesn’t go tech of course). What an embarrassment this A380 fleet is!
Old Mar 17, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

I think konagirl2 reported in the ba comair suspension thread that last nights ba54 was cancelled due to an instrument issue and will hopefully get away later today

Regards

Tbs
G-XLEF was supposed to leave JNB as BA54 on Tues 15th but had an instrument failure that required a spare part, flown in by G-XLED on 16th. Those of us delayed flew out on G-XLED not far off 24 hrs late. It looks like G-XLEF also made it back this morning. IRROPS were handled immensely poorly and yes sending A380s to remote stations with little support is a risk.
aristoph likes this.

Last edited by konagirl2; Mar 17, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Old May 4, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Data point... we were booked on

BA55 LHR-JNB 16th July, was on sale, now cancelled and we're moved to BA57, which had previously not been available.

BA54 JNB-LHR 29th July, had been removed from sale with only BA56 available - now BA54 has been reinstated and BA56 cancelled.

Both are now showing A350s.
Old May 4, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
We were travelling LHR-JNB on July 8th on BA55 - now cancelled but replaced with BA57, which suits me better, so no problems there. For now that's showing as a A350 (was an A380 iirc)
Return leg on 24 July is an A350 on BA54, which has had a 20 minute time change

So far our January 2023 booking remains an A380 each way,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.