Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice needed—parents denied boarding LHR/proof of vaccine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed—parents denied boarding LHR/proof of vaccine

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I disagree with statement. Further, I will go as far as to say the statement is one of arrogance and being ill informed.

It is not they refuse to understand it, it is a hugely different paradigm. A paradigm change that those who are implementing it often have little clue about the huge disparity in tech/app ability of people are in the world. That is they make assumptions that have no basis. I have seen multiple examples of requirements that are later changed because many people not the just the older population are unable to meet.
So many of these checks are indeed being designed in a foolish hurry by people who have possibly never stepped on an airplane.

I am rather experienced as a traveller, and my only major issue during pandemic travel until now was with BA, but from Spain to London, not the other way around.

I had all the proper documentation for the time. 2x vaccination (this was in September 2021), PCR test from the day before, pre-paid test in UK post-arrival… but the *%(@!%(@#% online form wasn’t working. Error messages over and over. So, I figure I will just go to the airport because I DO have all the vaccinations and tests required for travel.

No help whatsoever at check-in. Thankfully I was with two (non-travelling) friends, one of whom talked to the check-in person while the other walked me through the ridiculously designed online document check that could have been done better by a child. After about 3-4 failures (as in some piece of data that was valid still wasn’t accepted - eventually I just changed or omitted data that didn’t seem critical) I completed the form, generated the code, and my friends took me as far as the security check. If not for their help, probably I would have missed that flight.

By the way, I had also already done the Verifly thing already in advance as an alternative, but at the airport in Spain they also weren’t accepting that then.

I have three engineering degrees and although I don’t consider myself “elderly” at 47 years, maybe the world is starting to leave my type behind. I wouldn’t say that’s acceptable, though.

A 34 year old friend of mine had a similar experience about a year ago, getting a flight back to his home country of Brasil. Again… quickly improvised form that was prone to errors when you fill it out, but if you don’t have the QR code from filling it out, no way to check in, even if you can show every document listed as required for travel. Thankfully he was flying in Business Class and the check-in staff in his case were extremely helpful (not like my BA in Spain scenario). Even with their help, though, he told me after that he expected for awhile that he wouldn’t be able to get on the flight because of a ridiculous online form needing to be completed. He made it, though, and I only found out after.

Last edited by Schultzois; Feb 13, 2022 at 11:37 pm
Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I disagree with statement. Further, I will go as far as to say the statement is one of arrogance and being ill informed.

It is not they refuse to understand it, it is a hugely different paradigm. A paradigm change that those who are implementing it often have little clue about the huge disparity in tech/app ability of people are in the world. That is they make assumptions that have no basis. I have seen multiple examples of requirements that are later changed because many people not the just the older population are unable to meet.
I totally agree. Far too many companies/government depts work & design systems that work on the assumption everybody must have not only a mobile phone, but a smart phone at that and high speed internet access plus access to a printer. Thats before you assume everybody is IT literate. It is total arrogance on the part of these companies/departments. I have every sympathy with people trying to wrestle with multiple systems to complete documentation. Its ill thought out & generally ill designed. to then blame the passenger is arrogance. Example in my PLF account you can save most details. Why is it so difficult not to allow it to save my vaccination details?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
Another issue is that the CDC card is the only universal, authoritative vaccine record that one can carry around on their person. Despite it being more easily forgeable, the USA doesn't have any alternative, as it doesn't have any central vaccination database (it's maintained at the state level), and there is no universal barcode or QR application. For nations where those things do exist, it makes sense to require their use.
There is no "CDC card" in the USA.
There is a common paper vaccination card that bears the CDC logo which is used by counties (not States) in the US to record a vaccine shot. That record is for the convenience of the holder, not a government agency. A completed card is not issued or approved by the CDC. Vaccination records aren't retained by the CDC or the vast majority of states or counties due to health privacy laws. The 'CDC card' is widely available in blank form, completed by hand, and in my experience accepted in most countries for US travelers. There will never be a digital covid card nationwide in the USA, just as there will be no national ID card which is common in Europe. For a variety of good reasons, a national ID card of any type isn't legal under US law.

Since the UK recently woke up and eliminated all mandates and vaccine passports, and the vaccine and boosters have proven ineffective, the problem your parents had was simply an over-cautious airline that didn't want any chance of financial liability.

Visas are carefully checked at US ports of entry. Passengers arriving in the USA are not checked for covid or vaccinations, except in extremely rare circumstances. Although I'm American and typically use the automated kiosks to pass US immigration lines, never once in the past year have I been asked for the required test results. There is no requirement for a USCIT to be vaccinated to enter the US.
Sorry for the inconvenience experienced by your parents. I hope they enjoy their rescheduled visit.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by jcmalcolm; Feb 14, 2022 at 4:39 am
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jcmalcolm
There will never be a digital covid card nationwide in the USA, just as there will be no national ID card which is common in Europe. For a variety of good reasons, a national ID card of any type isn't legal under US law.

Since the UK recently woke up and eliminated all mandates and vaccine passports, and the vaccine and boosters have proven ineffective, the problem your parents had was simply an over-cautious airline that didn't want any chance of financial liability.
There is a lot of misinformation, not least in the second paragraph, where you can simply compare high booster and low booster countries death rates to see the difference. But in the first paragraph, neither the UK nor Ireland have ID cards, indeed the need for ID in the USA greatly exceeds any country I can think of in Europe. I don't normally travel with ID when flying around the UK. So if the land that invented databases wanted a proper vaccination record process, it could have done so, but it decided not to do so. The UK vaccination certificate uptake is very high, and hence cases like the OP's parents are rare.
mrow, skiaplg, Silver Fox and 10 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
There is no "CDC card" in the USA.
There is a common paper vaccination card that bears the CDC logo which is used by counties (not States) in the US to record a vaccine shot. That record is for the convenience of the holder, not a government agency. A completed card is not issued or approved by the CDC. Vaccination records aren't retained by the CDC or the vast majority of states or counties due to health privacy laws. The 'CDC card' is widely available in blank form, completed by hand, and in my experience accepted in most countries for US travelers. There will never be a digital covid card nationwide in the USA, just as there will be no national ID card which is common in Europe. For a variety of good reasons, a national ID card of any type isn't legal under US law.

Visas are carefully checked at US ports of entry. Passengers arriving in the USA are not checked for covid or vaccinations, except in extremely rare circumstances. Although I'm American and typically use the automated kiosks to pass US immigration lines, never once in the past year have I been asked for the required test results. There is no requirement for a USCIT to be vaccinated to enter the US.
Sorry for the inconvenience experienced by your parents. I hope they enjoy their rescheduled visit.
The UK has not eliminated all mandate and vaccine passports.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Delta Platinum medallion
....there will be no national ID card which is common in Europe. For a variety of good reasons, a national ID card of any type isn't legal under US law.
I disagree - according to the TSA web site:

Beginning May 3, 2023, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced driver’s license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

Real ID Driving licences are effectively ID cards. There is also no ID card in the UK, but the security protocols about getting a UK driving licence effectively make it an ID card.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Farringdon
Not helpful for the OP, and admittedly it’s a very unusual scenario, but a CDC card filled out by NHS people for vaccine doses given in the UK works just fine
This is actually helpful to me. Thank you. My daughter is flying with a CDC card filled out with two jabs in the US and her booster filed out in UK. She has no NHS record. I assumed it would be fine just because the booster isn't required but it's good to have some confirmation.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Keystone
I disagree - according to the TSA web site:

Beginning May 3, 2023, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, state-issued enhanced driver’s license, or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.

Real ID Driving licences are effectively ID cards. There is also no ID card in the UK, but the security protocols about getting a UK driving licence effectively make it an ID card.
No. Real ID cards are optional and are not national ID cards. Many Americans will never have one, opting for a typical DL instead. I can use my passport or Global Entry card to easily board a domestic flight after 2023, but will never present either for any other purpose nor will I be required to.
Also, RealID cards are a form of driver's license issued by states, not the Federal government. Big difference.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I can use my passport or Global Entry card to easily board a domestic flight after 2023, but will never present either for any other purpose nor will I be required to.
Except maybe when buying alcohol/ entry to a bar or club ...?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's always sad to hear of avoidable problems like this. This forum has been pretty good, I think, at trying to weave people through the various rules and to encourage people to ask if they are not certain. For all the complaints we have about VeriFLY this would have fallen at the first hurdle in a way that could be fixed.
!
Was telling a friend about VeriFLY (they use delta which apparently does not partner with VeriFLY) and I made this exact point, that IMO the best benefit of the app is if you somehow messed up some requirement you likely will find out in advance when you can still do something about it vs at the check in counter.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
There is no "CDC card" in the USA. I'm American and typically use the automated kiosks to pass US immigration lines.
Those Automated Passport Control kiosks may well be a thing of the past. They had all been removed when I went through immigration at ORD last December and I had to scramble to fill in the paper customs form while queuing up for passport control. BTW ORD had been the first US airport to offer the APC program when it started several years ago.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by London Dude
Those Automated Passport Control kiosks may well be a thing of the past. They had all been removed when I went through immigration at ORD last December and I had to scramble to fill in the paper customs form while queuing up for passport control. BTW ORD had been the first US airport to offer the APC program when it started several years ago.
That’s because of ORD’s various terminal constructions and revamp that’s ongoing at present, not because APC is somehow being disbanded.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I missed this, why were the APIS booths removed, I was shocked when I arrived and they were gone?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
This got me thinking whether my own NHS proof of vaccine record will pass muster...

Passport: Mr Pepe Le Pew
NHS: Mr Pepe R Le Pew

Obviously my DOB and everything else matches. Will it be OK?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by flyingdr
Thanks everyone. For the future, I figured out what the issue is: CDC accepts all manner of proofs of vaccination, but requires that they have name plus one other identifier that can be matched to passport—ie date of birth or passport number. NHS vaccine cards only have name, so they fail.

BA was kind enough to give my folks the full value of their flights as a voucher, so we’ll reschedule their trip for a couple of weeks from now when the fares are roughly equivalent to what they initially paid.

I will say that the BA emails and website definitely didn’t make clear to my elderly parents that they needed to get a new verification of their vaccines.
I was going to ask why BA wasnt giving travel credit at least, so I am glad to see this. Yes, the delay is sad but hopefully this helps them pack that another gift they bought but left on the counter (just talking what I have done before).

Last edited by psusaver; Feb 14, 2022 at 7:08 am Reason: emphasis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.