Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice needed—parents denied boarding LHR/proof of vaccine

Advice needed—parents denied boarding LHR/proof of vaccine

Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Not helpful for the OP, and admittedly it’s a very unusual scenario, but a CDC card filled out by NHS people for vaccine doses given in the UK works just fine
Old Feb 13, 2022, 11:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's always sad to hear of avoidable problems like this. This forum has been pretty good, I think, at trying to weave people through the various rules and to encourage people to ask if they are not certain. For all the complaints we have about VeriFLY this would have fallen at the first hurdle in a way that could be fixed. Maybe this story will deter someone else doing the same, but from what I've heard this is not an unusual occurence at LHR, despite all the messaging, the emails the newspaper articles and website information. I must admit to wonderment of people turning up for vaccination with their cards all lined up and in some cases wrapped in plastic cases, but these cards aren't particularly secure, hence the UK government has come up with a fairly robust vaccine certification process, which is also aligned with the EU's certification and a de facto global standard. At least the OP's family will get the FTVs to work into more a replacement flight.

What is even more annoying is that with a bit of dexterity on a mobile phone, it is possible to conjure up these certificates in about 20 minutes or so, so long as they have data like their NHS number handy. Now it's also the case that not every pensioner (and I am one myself) is app-centric, but it can be done with a bit of help.

But yes, check, check and check again, and take nothing for granted!
T8191, wrp96, Lefly and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
, .... it is possible to conjure up these certificates in about 20 minutes or so, so long as they have data like their NHS number handy. Now it's also the case that not every pensioner (and I am one myself) is app-centric, but it can be done with a bit of help.
Indeed, the NHS vaccine certificate is relatively accessible online given some key data inputs. As CWS notes, with NHS numbers and a helping hand, potentially all sortable in half an hour or so for the OPs folks.
Without an NHS number (and absent access to recent NHS Letters) its a bit longer to source an NHS number via the 'recovery' process on the website. I think it was 2 or 3 hours when I did it.
Of course, once you've done it once its fairly easy to rinse & repeat before each trip (or navigate to the site / certificate when asked).

Anyway, a cautionary tale and thanks to the OP for posting.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I guess in the ideal world, BA would pay the NHS to run a small stall in one of the many unused desks in T5, staffed by NHS volunteers able to peer into NIMS or Pinnacle (the two databases concerned) and print out the watermarked NHS letter. And dispense out health leaflets for travel abroad.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Unfortunately this is a suck it up situation, while Covid Pass hasn't been in place for the full 2 years of the Pandemic, travel restrictions certainly have & it's the passengers responsibility to work out what is & isn't required, thousands of Passengers per hour are managing the navigate the restrictions & requirements without issue, so sadly, age of the passenger isn't a reasonable defence.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I guess in the ideal world, BA would pay the NHS to run a small stall in one of the many unused desks in T5, staffed by NHS volunteers able to peer into NIMS or Pinnacle (the two databases concerned) and print out the watermarked NHS letter. And dispense out health leaflets for travel abroad.
Which is ok if your elderly parents are flying direct from lhr rather than connecting from a uk feeder post

However maybe all uk airports could be encouraged to provide such a service, not just for ba, from the air duty and other fees we pay.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
The CDC card is issued by the USA, in the USA for acceptance by the USA for various reasons.
Another issue is that the CDC card is the only universal, authoritative vaccine record that one can carry around on their person. Despite it being more easily forgeable, the USA doesn't have any alternative, as it doesn't have any central vaccination database (it's maintained at the state level), and there is no universal barcode or QR application. For nations where those things do exist, it makes sense to require their use.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:05 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I am so sorry to hear of this - truly what has happened to them is what could have happened to so many people. I saw the words NHS cards and thought "Oh No!"

In this instance - have they lost their fare money as well? That does seems very cruel to me. If they have not I am sure that you would be able to whip them up Q codes and get them on their way. Such a shame, I am really sorry.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:35 pm

Luckily BA understood and gave them a voucher for rebooking!
The _Banking_Scot and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Good on BA for essentially allowing a rebooking with FTV. I guess it’s a tough call where to draw the line, but the guidelines are available for all to see.
mrow and argonath like this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
In this instance - have they lost their fare money as well? That does seems very cruel to me. If they have not I am sure that you would be able to whip them up Q codes and get them on their way. Such a shame, I am really sorry.
OP mentioned that they were given an FTV. So it didn't end being a complete disaster for them and hopefully OP can help them reschedule soon.

Another pointer for OP - you can also advise your parents to call 119 and obtain a paper certificate via the post if apps, websites etc just isn't their thing. Such a certificate isn't time limited but the NHS app or COVID status website's codes are all time-limited to 30 days from generation and must be re-downloaded each time.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Sorry to hear that, must be quite stressful, they do need the records too as everyone has pointed out. Good on BA to offer a full voucher.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Even more of a shame because it was also possible if they arrived at least 2 hours before and were able to find/recall/or have someone else tell them their NHS numbers - then they could have configured the NHS app on the spot and provided the evidence there and then.

Painful lesson in not taking notice of the boarding/check in requirements.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Moonstone1234
... Some of our elderly folks refuse to understand what is required ...
I disagree with statement. Further, I will go as far as to say the statement is one of arrogance and being ill informed.

It is not they refuse to understand it, it is a hugely different paradigm. A paradigm change that those who are implementing it often have little clue about the huge disparity in tech/app ability of people are in the world. That is they make assumptions that have no basis. I have seen multiple examples of requirements that are later changed because many people not the just the older population are unable to meet.
nivsy, T8191 and louie-m like this.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Feb 13, 2022 at 9:54 pm
Old Feb 13, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
It's very difficult to prepare someone else for international travel these days, especially parents/older relatives. It's a problem also regarding communication on the base of the basic info anyone has.
One could say "you need proof of vaccination, do you have the documents?" - thinking of official certificates with QR codes et similar - and the other answers "Oh, yes, of course I have" while thinking of his/her not really valid paper vaccination card.

One example regarding helping others with travel docs.
I had to prepare my mother for her first intercontinental trip in two years (and it has been no joy ride). I checked every requirement and filled for her every form needed for the trip, sent a copy in her email, downloaded the PDFs on her phone and sent her to print all.

She calls me from the check-in desk, quite upset, because they would not let check-in and travel since they required a document she did not have, and she could not fill it online on the spot.

Guess what?

She DID have the document because I prepared it with her the day before and repeated three times what she would need to show at the check-in desk. But did she call me right away when the problem occurred? No, she went ahead to try to fill a form she already had, and become more upset because she could not do it. All because it was early morning and she didn't want to bother me.

She got an earful...
Silver Fox and AirbusA350 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.