Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

High-flying barrister, 41, and his family are removed from BA flight at Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High-flying barrister, 41, and his family are removed from BA flight at Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Given the sterile cockpit rule in place and the high workload, would the Captain consider leaving the flight deck to intervene and issue a final warning? How would he do this? Stop on the main taxiway or move to a remote part of the airfield, engage the brakes, remove his seatbelt... I hope hope the Captain and SCCM would have each others backs and there would be an element of trust assuming both understand the gravity of their decision. Or perhaps it was a relatively junior SCCM who the Captain considered may struggle to manage the situation if it is taken airborne.

People, especially educated people resort to profanity when they have exhausted their reasoning skills. It is not unreasonable to consider that a person who goes down this rabbit hole will then take it to another level. As a person who matches wits with other equally educated people in a courtroom, for him to resort to swearing demonstrates he has gone far beyond his point of reason. Assuming this, and by his own admission it is true, he lost any argument at that point. I will speculate that this is a man with money used to getting his own way and he couldn't deal with someone potentially many years his junior telling him he could not have it.
Before departure possibly. After departure unlikely.

I do not imagine a protacted conversation between crew member and captain.

I imagine it went something like 'we have a disruptive passenger and it is preventing us perform the safety breifing'

Ok the pax said 'all i did was swear' but we have no idea why the captain returned to stand.

All conjecture, my reasoning just as much as the 'victim" who doesnt know what action got him offloaded but suspects it was the swearing and/or complaint.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:16 am

I am sure the QC would be impressed were still debating this a week later, but equally he could be on the QR flight demanding it land now. Maybe its time to move on. Bigjet seems to be entertaining
Tim_T likes this.

Last edited by suley; Feb 18, 2022 at 11:25 am
Old Feb 19, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: LH SEN
I was on a Swiss flight yesterday in euro-business and a father in front of me had his two children sitting directly next to him - one of them in the sacred blocked middle seat. I was ready for some entertainment, phone at the ready to record but sadly the crew did not say a word.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by bobhope2
I was on a Swiss flight yesterday in euro-business and a father in front of me had his two children sitting directly next to him - one of them in the sacred blocked middle seat. I was ready for some entertainment, phone at the ready to record but sadly the crew did not say a word.
Ah but the nanny was still in economy.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
if his behaviour is as BA allegedly reported I assume there are all sorts of sanctions from a letter warning about future behaviour through to a lifetime ban so he wouldnt be flying with BA again anyway. Can BA bust him down the ranks from gold to blue and take away his avios and lifetime tier points ?
Possibly a case of "quit, before you are sacked"? ;-)
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Has he behaved in a way where it might reasonably be thought the public's trust in the profession has been undermined?

I don't know what exactly happened, but I can't see anything which has been reported would meet that.
Not being British I had never heard of a Q.C. before, so while I cannot say my trust has been undermined compared to what it was, as that would be impossible, it will certainly lead me to exercising an extra degree of caution should I ever be involved in a legal case in the UK where I discover that my lawyer is not a mere lawyer, but a "Q.C." lawyer. My trust is indeed lacking now, and I wonder if her majesty will wish to continue receiving this particular squire's counsel.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
Not being British I had never heard of a Q.C. before, so while I cannot say my trust has been undermined compared to what it was, as that would be impossible, it will certainly lead me to exercising an extra degree of caution should I ever be involved in a legal case in the UK where I discover that my lawyer is not a mere lawyer, but a "Q.C." lawyer. My trust is indeed lacking now, and I wonder if her majesty will wish to continue receiving this particular squire's counsel.
with a rather creative argument like that, perhaps you could be a QC?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
That sounds very slanderous to me. Come on Banner, show this (non)-plebiscite what a rottweiller of a QC u really are (assuming your nanny not busy).
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I saw this resurrect and hoped that it would be something interesting about him taking legal action and I was ready to alter my social calendar to be in court to hear this. Since it is not - would someone kindly wake me when he does?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
I predict that we will hear of Mr Banner and his family again very soon, when they try to check in for their BA return flight from Turin (having only bought EasyJet tickets for the outbound). There will be a new Daily Mail article reporting that:
  • Charles Banner, QC, 41 was forced to leave the airport with his family and nanny
  • Matters became heated after Mr Banner was told that the family’s return tickets with BA had been cancelled because they had not flown the outbound
  • Mr Banner claims BA check-in staff at Turin were 'rude' with one commenting: 'You wish.'
  • Pilot took off without the family. The flight was not delayed
hsmall, cjb666, T8191 and 8 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
If I might add 10p as my parents were on this flight.

said QC was most obnoxious and vocal about not being able to have his nanny moved from economy to business, so much so that he threw his Ba card in the face of one of the cabin crew while the aircraft was moving and had said crew member in tears (unknown if the card hurt or it was the words), this was then followed up by explaining exactly who he was and how much he earned (£2m very loudly). It was not long after this point that the captain must have decided the safety of the flight would be in jeopardy and returned to stand and, quite rightly imo, offloaded them.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
How vulgar, I wouldn't want him in my Chambers.
crazy8534 and Tottie66 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by globalste

said QC was most obnoxious and vocal about not being able to have his nanny moved from economy to business, so much so that he threw his Ba card in the face of one of the cabin crew while the aircraft was moving and had said crew member in tears (unknown if the card hurt or it was the words), this was then followed up by explaining exactly who he was and how much he earned (£2m very loudly). It was not long after this point that the captain must have decided the safety of the flight would be in jeopardy and returned to stand and, quite rightly imo, offloaded them.
I hope to high heaven it was a bronze card , right now it’s the only way this little tantrum could be any worse!

And if what your parents have relayed is correct (and I am not intending to cast any doubt on that) then completely correctly handled by the captain and crew.
chris1922Mk2 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by globalste

Classic. Why oh why am I not surprised.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Earning £2M a year and he can’t buy the nanny a business class ticket. Tight…
BravoKilo and LETTERBOY like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.