Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

High-flying barrister, 41, and his family are removed from BA flight at Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High-flying barrister, 41, and his family are removed from BA flight at Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
If we're talking about gross exaggerations, perhaps a further 144 people were inconvenienced?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
If we're talking about gross exaggerations, perhaps a further 10044 people were inconvenienced?
Fixed that for you as I think you missed a couple of zeros in your number...you did say 'gross exaggerations' after all
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by mrow
Fixed that for you as I think you missed a couple of zeros in your number...you did say 'gross exaggerations' after all
You’re missing the subtle but clever humour from T8191 here.144 is generally called a Gross Grocery / Gross « The Word Detective
mrow likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Kleffen
Why was he still going about when plane was all the way to taxing? At some point one has to give up…I hope he operates differently in the court room
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I’m in the same camp with 300 being an easily achievable number. One of my ex coworkers is Italian and said when she flies back to Italy the whole family come and meet her at the airport. This normally spans the generations from granny down to babies/toddlers and in her case 10 people would be in the arrivals area waiting.

As an aside I know a barrister who was flying that day with their family. I was therefore a little apprehensive when I first opened this thread. It wasn’t them
The tweet I referred to said “caused 300 people to miss transfers and connections” - it didn’t just say “300 people to be inconvenienced…”
So I still think that the tweet exaggerates the knock-on effect to 300 other people of BA’s overbooking… but I’ll acknowledge that it can be easy that 300 people were inconvenienced, even if only very few “[missed] transfers and connections”

By the way, I wouldn’t say that ten people waiting at TRN for the same people are “ten missed transfers or connections” but I would agree that it’s ten people waiting around and who wouldn’t be except this overbooking by BA and the subsequent chaos that ensued with a barrister who should have known when to hang up the fancy hairpiece.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
One of the EC261 "rules" is :-

(9) The number of passengers denied boarding against their will should be reduced by requiring air carriers to call for volunteers to surrender their reservations, in exchange for benefits, instead of denying passengers boarding, and by fully compensating those finally denied boarding.

I wonder if that happened (or ever happens!). That would have been one way for BA to "manage" the situation.
But they weren't denied boarding against their will. They accepted the new boarding passes, proceeded to board, and then only once onboard started 'challenging' the crew to use the middle blocked seat for the nanny.
mrow, flygirl68, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Schultzois
The tweet I referred to said “caused 300 people to miss transfers and connections” - it didn’t just say “300 people to be inconvenienced…”
So I still think that the tweet exaggerates the knock-on effect to 300 other people of BA’s overbooking… but I’ll acknowledge that it can be easy that 300 people were inconvenienced, even if only very few “[missed] transfers and connections”

By the way, I wouldn’t say that ten people waiting at TRN for the same people are “ten missed transfers or connections” but I would agree that it’s ten people waiting around and who wouldn’t be except this overbooking by BA and the subsequent chaos that ensued with a barrister who should have known when to hang up the fancy hairpiece.
Again; 300 people missing onward connections on flights and ground transfers isn’t an infeasible situation as most people don’t finish their journey at an arrival airport - they travel onward to a final destination via multiple means, many using pre-booked ground transfers.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:18 am

So, no, I don't think the 300 number is nonsense.
Okay, the choice of wording is nonsense, not the overall number.
300 actual people were likely inconvenienced to some degree - perhaps even more.

But to describe it as 300 missed connections and transfers (by transfer, do you just mean a fancy taxi? Book another one!)

As I mentioned way up-thread, had I been in a similar predicament, I’d have probably moved to the seat in Eurotraveller in the best interest of the bigger picture with respect to both family and a planeload of people.

But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t have gotten upset that I was forced to sit between two strangers in ET (during a global pandemic) when there’s a blocked seat in CE, next to my wife, and that I would have paid for a seat in the CE cabin that wasn’t offered.

But I’m not a barrister, I’m an engineer. I would have made my decision strictly on the basis of the calculus of how things were likely to work out. So I would have sucked it up as the one who had to fly ET whilst paying for 5 CE seats, and raised the fuss later.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:18 am

Again; 300 people missing onward connections on flights and ground transfers isn’t an infeasible situation as most people don’t finish their journey at an arrival airport - they travel onward to a final destination via multiple means, many using pre-booked ground transfers.
You’re assuming 100% of passengers on two fully packed flights would do this… quite a bold assumption.
In the end, this was also a situation of BA’s decision, so by that logic, all 300 people should have been offered, at the least, a transport voucher courtesy of BA, as it was BA (apparently) who chose to return to stand.

Last edited by Schultzois; Feb 14, 2022 at 8:24 am
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by hydro001
But they weren't denied boarding against their will. They accepted the new boarding passes, proceeded to board, and then only once onboard started 'challenging' the crew to use the middle blocked seat for the nanny.
True - but maybe BA could have asked for volunteers who'd be prepared to accept a cash payment for the downgrade.
Schultzois and mrow like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:21 am

You’re missing the subtle but clever humour from T8191 here.144 is generally called a Gross Grocery / Gross « The Word Detective
I was indeed, thanks for the link. Every day is a school day as they say

I am thankful that my lesson wasn’t as bitter a pill to swallow as the one our learned friend is likely experiencing
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Schultzois
You’re assuming 100% of passengers on two fully packed flights would do this… quite a bold assumption.
In the end, this was also a situation of BA’s decision, so by that logic, all 300 people should have been offered, at the least, a transport voucher courtesy of BA.
I doubt BA really saw it that way.
Not as bold as assuming that everyone on an aircraft completes their journey when they reach the arrival airport.
nancypants and LadyKilljoy like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:29 am

If we are going to use “butterfly effect” logic then we shall all have to agree that this tempest in a teacup affected seven billion people, but will likely happen again.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Talking

When I read mrow ’s post I thought it was also being subtle and clever - the added zeroes being the exaggeration of gross
mrow likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
To add to the Thread diversion, there's a very old RAF joke.

"What you call gross ignorance?"
"144 Navigators!"
"Why 144?" asked a Navigator.
Jimmie76, mrow, passy777 and 9 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
True - but maybe BA could have asked for volunteers who'd be prepared to accept a cash payment for the downgrade.
The person downgraded (and family)accepted the downgrade, willingly boarded the aircraft, and only kicked up a fuss once boarded on push back. If they weren't happy to accept it, then there are many touch points and opportunities up to the point the aircraft door was closed to make a decision not to accept the downgrade, or to ask for alternatives. To do so after push back and challenge the crew at this time demonstrates intention to disrupt.

In any case that's if the downgrade is true, and that the nanny wasn't booked in economy to start with, as per other sources not reported in the media.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.