Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

Italy - Self Declaration Form

Italy - Self Declaration Form

Old Feb 10, 22, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lefly View Post
That's not correct. You're not transiting Italy by private car, you're flying in Italy and then pick up a car to leave the country. Therefore you need the test for Italy as well.
Ah yes, you're right. Will edit above post in case someone reads it and misunderstands like I did.
Old Feb 10, 22, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ppp909 View Post
I hope this isn't a FAQ. Sorry if it is. I'm flying to Turing on Saturday
In that case, the answer to your question must surely remain an enigma. ok.. I'll get my coat...
Old Feb 11, 22, 3:00 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Kranebitten View Post
I wondered how long we would need to get to the let's kick Italy post. It is BA that is handing out that form and not listening to people pointing out the actual legal framework in play so that is where your ire should rest rather than clutching at the "Italy farce".

If the law is actually consulted then in line with many other countries the airline is to check the required documents. Now of course things vary on the ground but that is in the gift of the country, just as the UK has relied on pre flight checks and hardly ever looked at PLFs etc on arrival after an initial wave of doing so. The phrase used is "al vettore al momento dellimbarco, e a chiunque sia preposto a effettuare i controlli" so essentially to the carrier at boarding [i.e. check in] and anyone that may be responsible for conducting checks.

The OP wanted some help understanding the requirements v what it appeared to be being asked by BA - hopefully they have received that in this thread. Don't get me wrong things have been frustrating in travel so I feel your frustration in general, but just felt it was a little misdirected.
Stop being so sensitive, I half-live in Italy and some things there really ARE a bureaucratic farce. Pretty much anything when dealing with the government, utilities, Trenitalia etc IMHO. You mention my "ire should rest" with BA for handing out the form, however on each occasion it was questioned, BA have said it is at the Italian authorities demand they be handed out during the flight. The same authorities who then basically are not interested in the form on landing. Why is it my "ire should rest" with BA exactly? The Italian authorities also had a couple of other farcical rules that no other country seemed to adopt as far as I know. In summer 2020, pax on all flights to / from and internal in Italy were not permitted to use the aircraft overhead bins for a few months....supposedly to help prevent the spread of Covid

Then only a month ago I flew from LIN-LHR and anyone who put a coat into the overhead lockers had it removed by the CC when boarding was complete and put into a large polythene bag and put back in to the overhead. "The Italian authorities mandate this" said the CC to our row, "to help prevent the spread of Covid in case any is present on the coat". She could barely keep a straight face as she said it and 100% agreed with the bloke in the aisle seat (who turned out to be a British GP) who said the very process of removing each and every coat from overhead, unfolding / re-folding it just above above everyone's head level and putting it into a bag was probably a far better way to spread Covid than just leaving them in the overhead

If you are frequent on this board you will also know I ridicule BA over their policy of de-boarding by row numbers, only for everyone on many flights to then be packed into a bus together to the terminal. Or everyone when boarding standing close together on the airbridge as a queue inevitably forms.

But it does seem the Italians take silly rules and bureaucracy to a new level in my experience.
Old Feb 11, 22, 3:44 am

This is really quite an amusing reply BOH. I am quite calm and relaxed thank you and deal in reason so certainly not sensitive. Yes, I am here regularly and see your posts, yes as you will see I have family in Italy and yes of course I am very aware of the bureaucracy - that is just Italian life. I am not sure quite what point you are trying to make other than demonstrating that your general frustration is with the Italian way of things and the rules made. That is fine but an irrelevance to answering the OP's question on BA say this, but what is the actual requirement?

You have also managed to underline my point for me, so thanks for that. As I said BA staff are saying what they are told to say (OK) even if the actual law does not require the forms they are still handing out, etc. You clearly take their word for it and stop at that which surprises me for someone who spends time in Italy who I would have thought has some Italian and can read the actual rules. Again - BA is telling pax things that have not been a requirement for ages, like the nice little anecdote on the LIN-LHR flight. That ENAC requirement on lockers went as I also remember when it came in in Summer 2020. So yes, again I repeat the point if the Italians are not requiring these things any more (which having flown on non BA flights and actually read the laws/guidance they are not) then that is a BA interpretational issue.

Have a good day and enjoy your life - non c' peggior sordo di chi non vuol sentire

Last edited by Kranebitten; Feb 11, 22 at 4:02 am
Old Feb 11, 22, 3:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
Stop being so sensitive, I half-live in Italy and some things there really ARE a bureaucratic farce. Pretty much anything when dealing with the government, utilities, Trenitalia etc IMHO. You mention my "ire should rest" with BA for handing out the form, however on each occasion it was questioned, BA have said it is at the Italian authorities demand they be handed out during the flight. The same authorities who then basically are not interested in the form on landing. Why is it my "ire should rest" with BA exactly? The Italian authorities also had a couple of other farcical rules that no other country seemed to adopt as far as I know. In summer 2020, pax on all flights to / from and internal in Italy were not permitted to use the aircraft overhead bins for a few months....supposedly to help prevent the spread of Covid

But it does seem the Italians take silly rules and bureaucracy to a new level in my experience.
A squabble about the incompetence of the Italian authorities helps no one. I live in France and you try dealing with the tax authorities. Getting them to answer the phone makes the BA Gold Line like a walk in the park. You must remember that anywhere that Napoleon trod and introduced Le code civil has mind numbing nonsense like this. One realises that Italy Spain and France - I have lived in all three have concepts of customer service which are all born in the days of monopolies and are at least 40 years behind Northern Europe.

The UK is in no respect able to cock a snook at them with that lumbering and incomprehensible PLF I might add.

Dear OP. I am a poor paranoid cow who has everything printed and to hand that I am asked. The last time that I returned to France from Spain the various internet sites such as Iberia (I always check Essyjet of all places as they clearly expect their passengers to be stupid so its rather Documents for Dummies so even I can understand it) and others all seemed to give different advice. I completed PFLs, I completed Attestations sur lhonneur the lot. .

we had to prove our vaccination status at check in. In MAD, the pleasant Iberia (an oxymoron?) took what I can only describe a passing glance that our names matched the Covid vaccination forms and wrote Dox OK. The Police des Frontires asked us for our passports and our Passes Vaccinales. I asked myself why I always meet flirtatious dishy young men when I have my husband in tow but this thread is not the place to discuss that.

My own tuppence is that these people actually manning the frontiers to keep Covid or anything else out and us safe in our beds are realistic and bored. They realise that if they start demanding every stupid bit of paper as to where I sat on an aircraft or other information that is not in the least pertinent to anything, no one would go anywhere and the crowds would overwhelm them. We have already seen this occasionally at LHR. They are bored witless with having to check papers so they bin them. No one cares. All this is beyond their pay grade and I dont blame them at all. They and we know that you cannot stop a virus at a frontier. By the time the next Strain Du Jour pitches up from wherever it was identified, the whole of Europes is busy infecting itself.

So Dear One, my advice is have everything as the day that you dont some busybody will take great pleasure in impeding your check in as the airlines are terrified of being fined. Theyve had all the onus put on them and it must have cost a fortune in all this VeriFLY and uploading and manpower to check all this at the airport.
Fritz, pythonisman, ppp909 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 22, 4:22 am
BOH

Again - BA is telling pax things that have not been a requirement for ages, like the nice little anecdote on the LIN-LHR flight.
Not been a requirement for ages? My LIN-LHR flight was on the 24th January, just under 3 weeks ago

That ENAC requirement on lockers went as I also remember when it came in in Summer 2020. So yes, again I repeat the point if the Italians are not requiring these things any more.
Which is why I was specific about Summer 2020, I did not say I had experienced this recently, specifically Summer 2020
Old Feb 11, 22, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by BOH View Post
Not been a requirement for ages? My LIN-LHR flight was on the 24th January, just under 3 weeks ago
The actual BA crews will fact-check me on this one, but I think that their station briefs are the thing that is out of date and no longer reflective of Italian rules. It might be because BA is falling behind all the changes - and how to blame for them, it's been a mess - but indeed there's no need to fill in a paper form, there's no need to keep your coats on you or anything of that kind.
Kranebitten and BOH like this.
Old Feb 11, 22, 4:45 am
BOH

Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
The actual BA crews will fact-check me on this one, but I think that their station briefs are the thing that is out of date and no longer reflective of Italian rules. It might be because BA is falling behind all the changes - and how to blame for them, it's been a mess - but indeed there's no need to fill in a paper form, there's no need to keep your coats on you or anything of that kind.
Agreed, no been asked to filled out the paper form for at least 12 months now. Was mentioning it as simply what IMHO seemed a huge farce at the time
Old Feb 11, 22, 6:42 am

Dear BOH - aviation is what binds us so we I am sure have much more in common than not.

13901 has since made my point for me and on which we clearly all agree - there are no current requirements re lockers/coats and no need for an online form yet some crews still mention these. Re 2020 - yes I hold my hand up that I shorthanded both the original no use of lockers ENAC requirement from 2020 and your experience in January 2022 re coats (though as we have established the crew were wrong about that claiming it was an ENAC requirement).
Old Feb 11, 22, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
The Police des Frontires asked us for our passports and our Passes Vaccinales.
A French police officer asked you a "passe vaccinale"? I trust that, as a woman of honour, you told him that you were not that kind of girl and that une passe, whether vaccinale or not, was completely out of the question.
Old Feb 11, 22, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
In that case, the answer to your question must surely remain an enigma. ok.. I'll get my coat...
I didn't even notice that piece of autocorrect until now. Stupid phone.

Thanks all for the unexpectedly entertaining thread everyone.
BOH and Kranebitten like this.

Last edited by ppp909; Feb 11, 22 at 3:34 pm
Old Feb 12, 22, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
A French police officer asked you a "passe vaccinale"? I trust that, as a woman of honour, you told him that you were not that kind of girl and that une passe, whether vaccinale or not, was completely out of the question.
Dearest NickB - I have decided that at a certain time in a woman's life - any passe is better than none. If you had seen him. Were I not a Good Girl (and look where that got me. the world was my oyster andI settled for the shell) I would have taken him home and eaten him on toast. My Beloved's reaction was to say "Are you coming or what?" All that was left to feed my eyes upon in that land God gave to Cain aka the Nantes Airport baggage hall, was someone's bag that should have gone to Douala. Still, your concern over my virtue is rewarded. You are now a Mucci Chevalier d'Honneur

Ah! The solace of Flyertalk - one can truly unleash all the pent up filth on one's mind safe in the knowledge that it will be shared abundantly.

So - when pray will France get over itself and let us back in without of a test those of us who are innoculated up to the eyebrows? Has the stupid and muddlesome PLF been updated in the UK and let BA and the others fly us rather than examine our medical information.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Feb 12, 22 at 6:23 am
Old Feb 12, 22, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Starwood LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Plus :-)
So - when pray will France get over itself and let us back in without of a test those of us who are innoculated up to the eyebrows? Has the stupid and muddlesome PLF been updated in the UK and let BA and the others fly us rather than examine our medical information.

i think it’s just been announced that France no longer requires Covid tests on entry as of this morning which is excellent news.

Sadly NL has yet to follow but hopefully soon

Last edited by Fritz; Feb 12, 22 at 6:38 am
Old Feb 12, 22, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
i think its just been announced that France no longer requires Covid tests on entry as of this morning which is excellent news.

Sadly NL has yet to follow but hopefully soon
So it has! Wonderful! Darling Fritz - you too became a Mucci. Arise Sir Fritz, a Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles is yours if you would like.
pythonisman likes this.
Old Feb 12, 22, 10:39 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Starwood LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Plus :-)
So it has! Wonderful! Darling Fritz - you too became a Mucci. Arise Sir Fritz, a Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles is yours if you would like.
Oooh. How fabulous. I am beyond delighted (seriously) PUCCI GALORE

Thank you!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Search this Thread