Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pre-departure Testing for US on Connecting Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

I’m hoping the testing requirement might be dropped by then, but in case it’s not:
I have a flight with connection (same ticket) towards end of March BCN-LHR (overnight) LHR-SFO. Should I do my test the day before the BCN departure or the day before the LHR departure? Will BA check in at BCN even pay any attention the fact that I have onward flight the next day.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bernardh
I’m hoping the testing requirement might be dropped by then, but in case it’s not:
I have a flight with connection (same ticket) towards end of March BCN-LHR (overnight) LHR-SFO. Should I do my test the day before the BCN departure or the day before the LHR departure? Will BA check in at BCN even pay any attention the fact that I have onward flight the next day.
current guidance for the US says the day before, not specific to time of departure, just the day.

i suspect you will not be allowed to check in unless you provide proof of test at check in at BCN despite the overnight...even though you would not need to test until the day of your first flight.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by VSLover
current guidance for the US says the day before, not specific to time of departure, just the day.

i suspect you will not be allowed to check in unless you provide proof of test at check in at BCN despite the overnight...even though you would not need to test until the day of your first flight.
A supervised antigen when you arrive at BCN feels like the best solution.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
From the CDC website … in the FAQ, my Bold in the last paragraph … https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

If your itinerary has you arriving to the US via one or more connecting flights, your test can be taken within 1 day before the departure of the first flight.You also have the option of getting tested en route during one of your connections. However, you should consider where in the connecting airport testing is available and if you would be able to access it while in transit. If you choose this strategy and are unable to get a test en route, you will not be able to board your flight to the United States. You should also be aware that if you test positive en route, you will not be allowed to continue your travel and may need to stay at that location until you end isolation.

Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability.
StingWest likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability.
So you would need to make sure the test is the day before the UK-US flight then, not a day before EU-UK. Unless I'm reading that wrongly. Let's hope it goes back to the 3 day window it was before at some point!
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
The theory says the test can be done the day before first flight "if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability"
The reality says It will depend from the check-in agent you get.

So, in the end, it depends from your risk tolerance...

Mine is low, therefore I would go for testing on the day of departure - day before US bound flight - if there is no difference between the two options.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Well it is vague.

It is saying that if you are doing overnight connections before your TATL you need to make sure your test is within 1 day of when you TATL departs, except if your booking requires an overnight due to limited other possibilities. God knows how someone is supposed to judge that.

I think for the sake of reducing any issues you are best advised to ensure your test is within 1 day of your TATL departure.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think for the sake of reducing any issues you are best advised to ensure your test is within 1 day of your TATL departure.
Agreed. Plan to get a test at BCN prior to departure. The service there is the same one we used at MAD last week. https://flycovidtestcenter.com/en/barcelona-t1/ Book a slot in advance. Hopefully the signage at BCN directing you to the testing isn't as poor as it is in MAD.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
You should be able to get tested at LHR the day of your departure, provided you have time. I’m flying from OPO to LHR on Feb 19. Then LHR to LAX on the 20th. I have a CA digital Smart Vaccine card to get into the UK and I’ve booked my Rapid Antigen at T2 at 0745 for my 1230 flight the next day to the US. ( I overnight at the Hilton T2 ). Based on how the rules for entry are for each country, I believe I’ll have no issue. I’ll report back when I get home.

Last edited by Tack; Feb 9, 2022 at 9:24 pm
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week in a similar overnight layover situation check in agent at outstation asked and verified that I had the test done that morning (eg a day before flt to US).
Old Feb 10, 2022, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thank you all.

I have test kits in hand for a supervised service, so I have flexibility. I’ll use these on the morning of the BCN-LHR flight with the backup of in person testing at BCN in the event of a test failure or other snafu.
Lefly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.