Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A350 layout - not working for crew or service!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A350 layout - not working for crew or service!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 2:02 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
I felt a flash of anger reading this report. It's typically short-sighted and deeply disrespectful to BA's staff. When will the leaders start listening? Ignoring such a valuable resource is beyond backwards. BA's management style has to change.
Its swings and roundabouts really when it comes to listening to crew though. As sometimes their recommendation is too heavily based on what works best for them and not necessarily the passenger. There are crew who often talk loudly that they know what customers want, some of them actually do, but others base it through very blinkered view at times.
SW7London likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Its swings and roundabouts really when it comes to listening to crew though. As sometimes their recommendation is too heavily based on what works best for them and not necessarily the passenger. There are crew who often talk loudly that they know what customers want, some of them actually do, but others base it through very blinkered view at times.
Indeed. However thats why senior management are charged with making decision based on various inputs.

Appears the wrong decision was made here.
A P Yu, skiaplg, DelTroon and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:08 am

Competent leadership should know how to extract and utilise operational expertise, taking into account the points you make, A P Yu.
mrow and TedToToe like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Competent leadership should know how to extract and utilise operational expertise, taking into account the points you make, A P Yu.
Absolutely right. A robust evaluation process and a robust decision making process.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:08 am

On my first BA A350 flight (Nov 19) I asked the crew about the aircraft. They said they had transferred from the 747 fleet and were really struggling with the lack of a Central Galley. So it seems to have been a problem from day 1. Albeit in the 747 they were blessed with a Galley almost at every door! But it seems ridiculous not to have a third equipped facility in the middle of the aircraft. They would not really loose much (if any) seating from converting the 'dry galley' into a full one. Other than saving plumbing and weight (but how much?) it seems like a really inflexible decision was made.

Of course the hypothetical third galley itself is in an awkward location in that it would (presumably) have to cater for some of club, all of WTP and some of WT, in order to properly take the load off both of the other two facilities.

Cathay has a 3 Galley config for practically the same number of pax (334 vs 331), albeit less Premium heavy, with the second galley (behind Business) serving PE and front cabin of Y.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC
But it seems ridiculous not to have a third equipped facility in the middle of the aircraft. They would not really loose much (if any) seating from converting the 'dry galley' into a full one. Other than saving plumbing and weight (but how much?) .
I'd be interested to know if the plumbing etc was standard across the aircraft for all operators, just not connected in this case based on BA's preferences. Easier from a manufacturing perspective to design and build as standard as possible, with connection points if required by specific layouts chosen by operators. If this is the case then weight savings here would be minimal, the benefit would just be some(?) more space for seats.

(Side note - many years ago doing a tour of Sydney airport a Qantas engineer told us B747 layouts were fixed, with connections for galley's always at Doors 4, Toilets at Doors 3 & 5 and it was impossible to change despite Qantas wanting to do so!)
Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by SW7London
I'd be interested to know if the plumbing etc was standard across the aircraft for all operators, just not connected in this case based on BA's preferences.
Simple answer is no.
13901 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Platinum Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jackanory
Didn’t BA do the same thing to some of their 777 aircraft regarding the crew rest area meaning they were restricted on flight length? I’m sure I was told that to rectify the issue some F seats had to be removed.
On some 777's the flight crew rest area was in the First cabin at the rear on the aircraft right, I cannot remember if two or three seats were lost as a result of this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL
I couldn't help myself so I made a crew friendly layout:

Crew don't have to walk far from the galley or reach across people to reach center seats, perfectly optimized for efficient meal delivery! Plenty of storage space for ice cream now that the passenger load has been reduced!

I also stuck the Iberian mid galley and non-optimized tail galley in the BA config for S&G.

It looks like the tail galley costs about 1 economy seat, while the mid galley costs 2 club world seats for the lavs and ~3 econ seats, though that's not optimized (front galley could be shrunk). Let's just say that it's 3 econ seats and 1 club world seat.

Guess: those service cuts cost 6 net promotor score points (NPS), i.e., 6% of customers now vote 1 of 5 or no longer vote 5 of 5, combined, on surveys. In general 4 points of NPS results in a 1% revenue premium increase, so it's a 1.5% revenue decline. On the current A350 that's 0.84 club seats and 4.1 economy seats (WTP+econ). It's a tough trade economically, but I would go for the NPS personally if it's really just 4-5 seats on the A350. My guess is they thought they could get away with the config for only 2-3 NPS impact.
RB211 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by paul21
I couldn't help myself so I made a crew friendly layout:

Crew don't have to walk far from the galley or reach across people to reach center seats, perfectly optimized for efficient meal delivery! Plenty of storage space for ice cream now that the passenger load has been reduced.
The only problem I can see is the potential for passengers seated in the two economy bassinet seats suing BA due to their babies suffering from separation anxiety! Otherwise, near perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.