FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Would you decline an upgrade from Club Suite to First? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2067988-would-you-decline-upgrade-club-suite-first.html)

mec72 Feb 7, 2022 3:38 am

Would you decline an upgrade from Club Suite to First?

I’m on a flight tomorrow that seems to be very full and am wondering what to do if I get upgraded (CS to F, 10h day flight). Haven’t tried the Club Suite yet - many cancelled flights or equipment swaps during the pandemic… Flying from an outstation so no CCR… Not really excited about “premium wines” or bubbly in F. Would you decline the upgrade if upgraded? What’s the best way - just go to the original seat and offer it to the new occupant?

modularmayhem Feb 7, 2022 3:39 am

Simply put, no... not a chance. CS is nice, but F seat is still a step up.

simonsmith Feb 7, 2022 3:40 am

No I wouldn’t decline it
I value the extra space and (usually) calmness

The _Banking_Scot Feb 7, 2022 3:44 am

Hi

From a window CS to a middle f seat might not be that good to me as I do like a window seat but first will be a larger seat and quieter than club esp on a 777.
the food in f will be better than club and served in courses .

in the past on a 744 a switch from a 62k upper deck to a middle f seat would be closer but these days
I would go for first in any case if offered ( but would not count on f until you get the boarding card as things can change)
Regards

Tbs

mikeyfly Feb 7, 2022 3:44 am

Never, ever. The ability to spread out and sleep in ANY F seat is better by far than any J seat

T8191 Feb 7, 2022 3:52 am

The chance would be a fine thing! Anyway, I guess I would have to let Lady T have it, and stay in CS on my own. ;)

ThatT1Feeling Feb 7, 2022 3:53 am

We used to have this discussion with NCW where a nice window seat or UD (esp on a sleeper service) was sometimes a reason to decline an upgrade, especially to a middle seat or Row 5 in F. I declined 1 in this scenario and accepted a few others!

I still haven't experienced CS although I am hoping that this will be solved later this year! At the moment if I were offered an UG from Club Suite, I think I would try to decline it, just so I could try the new layout.

chris87 Feb 7, 2022 3:58 am

Having flown in both extensively: absolutely no way. CS is nice, but F is still a very real step up. There’s more space, a smaller cabin and the potential (especially if the crew are on form) for a very significantly better soft product than you will get in Club.

Cymro Feb 7, 2022 3:59 am

No.

(I don't think FT allows you to post three-character responses, but that is a comprehensive answer to the question).

TTmex Feb 7, 2022 4:13 am

No way would I decline, especially if offered at check-in as I'd be waltzing into the CCR. Appreciate that is an exLHR and exJFK (for now) perk only, but I'd also value the additional space and better food/drink on board.

Swanhunter Feb 7, 2022 4:18 am

I declined 62K to 5E a couple of times. On a long overnight the middle pairs in the 747 nose weren’t great for sleep. Too much disturbance.

That said the remaining middle F seats are notably more private than their predecessors on the 747 so I’d be happy to move. F is getting rarer whereas CS will be with us for several decades, minimum.

drwook Feb 7, 2022 4:20 am

The only reason I imagine someone might is if they habitually fly F and booked J in the first place just to try the CS product out of curiosity.

Grande Annee Feb 7, 2022 4:37 am

I have flown both F and Club Suite within the last 2 weeks, and would never decline an upgrade to F. Indeed, if the price was right I would pay to upgrade :eek::p

LCY8737 Feb 7, 2022 4:48 am

Never. Now go wash your mouth.

Cap'n Benj Feb 7, 2022 4:56 am

Originally Posted by mec72 (Post 33970323)
I’m on a flight tomorrow that seems to be very full and am wondering what to do if I get upgraded (CS to F, 10h day flight). Haven’t tried the Club Suite yet - many cancelled flights or equipment swaps during the pandemic… Flying from an outstation so no CCR… Not really excited about “premium wines” or bubbly in F. Would you decline the upgrade if upgraded? What’s the best way - just go to the original seat and offer it to the new occupant?

This question has done the rounds a fair bit, its hard to find a single reason why you ever would.

30+% more space, 8 vs 50 odd in cabin, so more privacy, door or not, better food, better service, eat when you want, PJs.

The only thing I can think of is that F only has the one loo now, although I never had to wait a single second on my last trip.

As a free upgrade you’d be mad to turn it down, there were more potential reasons with the old seat for not wanting to change

A 10 hour day flight is when F comes into its own. Pay to upgrade if it’s decent value!