Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you decline an upgrade from Club Suite to First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you decline an upgrade from Club Suite to First?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:04 am

Many, many, many moons ago (ca. 30 years), before I was even able to dream of the possibility of enhanced flight classes, we turned down an upgrade from economy to business on a flight from Tokyo to LHR (can't remember the carrier - probably JAL?). The reason? My wife refused to move to a smoking section (where the business class seats were) from a non-smoking section.
I'm quite surprised we have remained married ..... It was also, I think, the last flight I went on where smoking was permitted.
T8191, crazy8534, Erwin10 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I was on a DFW-LHR flight last May on the 787-10 where Club was mostly empty and F was full. If I was offered the last empty seat in a full F cabin in that circumstance I might decline, especially if it was a night flight where the extra service wouldn't make much of a difference.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
What flight are you on
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
This question has done the rounds a fair bit, its hard to find a single reason why you ever would.

30+% more space, 8 vs 50 odd in cabin, so more privacy, door or not, better food, better service, eat when you want, PJs.

The only thing I can think of is that F only has the one loo now, although I never had to wait a single second on my last trip.

As a free upgrade you’d be mad to turn it down, there were more potential reasons with the old seat for not wanting to change

A 10 hour day flight is when F comes into its own. Pay to upgrade if it’s decent value!
Agree 100%
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by mec72
Would you decline the upgrade if upgraded? What’s the best way - just go to the original seat and offer it to the new occupant?
I'm in the 'No' camp too.

If you do decide to reject an upgrade I would suggest you speak with a gate agent prior to boarding if you're aware of it prior to boarding. Don't try to do it yourself on board if you can avoid it.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Maybe this thread So - who got a free upgrade this week? - Page 106 - FlyerTalk Forums could have a splinter thread "So - who rejected a free upgrade this week" ?!
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:38 am

Would you decline the upgrade if upgraded? What’s the best way - just go to the original seat and offer it to the new occupant?
I'd never decline an upgrade to First. Ok, there's not a huge amount of difference from Club World, but you get other benefits: better lounge access (think Concorde Room), more exclusive cabin, more attentive service, the prestige of turning left, slightly better meals, plus a bigger screen for your movies.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:37 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I declined recently on a 380 MIA-LHR. My other half was flying with me, albeit on a separate PNR and we wished to stay together. (The bookings were linked). I explained the situation to the agent at the gate and was promptly given my J BP back to me.

There were several open seats in J (and WTP) so it was not a traditional 'op-up'.

I am sure it was a wise decision on my part.
aquanine likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
First is business

Certainly not – especially given that British Airways’ first class is very similar to many other airlines’ service levels in their business class cabins.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mjghughes
Many, many, many moons ago (ca. 30 years), before I was even able to dream of the possibility of enhanced flight classes, we turned down an upgrade from economy to business on a flight from Tokyo to LHR (can't remember the carrier - probably JAL?). The reason? My wife refused to move to a smoking section (where the business class seats were) from a non-smoking section.
I'm quite surprised we have remained married ..... It was also, I think, the last flight I went on where smoking was permitted.
I sensibly married a fellow smoker, thus removing a potential area of conflict. 😎
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I prefer the CW proposition on sleeper services. I have had a few sectors from the East Coast in F (either paid or upgraded) where all I have wanted to do is sleep, but other pax (completely their prerogative) wanted to eat and chat. Never loudly or a party atmosphere, but lots of clinking of cutlery and conversations which aren't conducive to sleeping.

Any other time, once I have experienced Club Suites, especially now the 747 UD no longer exists, I'd take the upgrade
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by squeeler
I declined recently on a 380 MIA-LHR. My other half was flying with me, albeit on a separate PNR and we wished to stay together. (The bookings were linked). I explained the situation to the agent at the gate and was promptly given my J BP back to me.

There were several open seats in J (and WTP) so it was not a traditional 'op-up'.

I am sure it was a wise decision on my part.
What's the expiry date on the brownie points you earned?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Surely you should know that the value of brownie points and their expiry is totally in the gift of the provider of the brownie points, and can change without notice. That's my experience anyway
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
First time ever to hear someone refusing to get his car upgraded from a Jaguar to a Range Rover for free!!
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:21 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Fair question!

I used them up on Saturday after spending the day watching rugby in the pub!
T8191, golfmad and Erwin10 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.