Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Thought cleaning was supposed to improve becasue of Covid?.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thought cleaning was supposed to improve becasue of Covid?.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
The bottom line is this: don't tell people the aircraft has been cleaned when people can visibly see that it has not. It just generates complaints.

It also isn't reassuring.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA not cleaning its planes is a standard operating procedure!
Carfield, the810 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
We flew back from JNB on Saturday and I found a pair of used socks and a wrapper in the stowage drawer in CW. Staff member was visibly embarrassed when I passed them to her…

as an aside, it was so good to get back onto an A380, so much better than the crappy old 777 that took us down there.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
The enhanced cleaning, when it happens, is surfaces people routinely touch, like toilet door handles and IFE handsets.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:46 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Looks like an improvement over my last (pre-covid) BA flight...
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by TBD
Looks like an improvement over my last (pre-covid) BA flight...
I assume you found the customer wearing the socks inside?
roberto99 and simonsmith like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by bigbadjoe
And, by the way, I do not believe one single word of the announcement regarding "enhanced cleaning", "HEPA filters" and all the other BS - this goes not just for BA but any other airline.
Have you flown on Lufthansa?!
ermis177 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by SpurMan
Flew over to JFK on the 173 yesterday. Won't go into the details of the flight, which was, bar what I'm about to talk about, pretty good (though there was a difference in style between the two main crew serving us in F, not that I minded), and they had to source a pork from J for the chap sitting next to me....

What I was horrified to see was what greeted me when I opened the suite door to put my coat away:

A used SOCK!!. Plus headphones at the back!. Surely the cleaning (considering it is said the plane had been 'thouroughly disinfected'), should pick up this sort of thing as a matter of course. Fortunately a cleaning towel was available to pick it up and dispose of it.

But that wasn't it. The footrest was hiding more:

OK, so it was only a slipper wrapper, but even so, this really isn't good enough on an aircraft in the time of covid, all the worse it was in F. The crew were suitably horrified by the fact that this had happened. I was concerned what else we might find, but fortunately that was it.

/rant
Another example of COVID theater. Or is that Theatre. All airlines are doing it.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:35 am

What was that phrase? "Cost cutting is in our DNA" or something like that!

rb211.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Maybe a dedicated sticky thread could be set up so everyone can post their pictures of filthy BA cabins/seats/toilets/lounges and we can monitor if there are improvements over the years (doubtful).

Might concentrate management minds too if they happen across it!
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
OP - What do you think you might catch from a used sock?

It nice to have a clean environment and I don't especially want to sit in someone else's crumbs. That said, Im not sure what you might catch from a surface? There have been essentially zero confirmed cases of fomite transmission of COVID-19. I say zero, the most accurate number I could find was "a few" out of 382 million confirmed global cases. I'm not necessarily critical of the initial messaging, like many other novel viral illnesses the mode of transmission and of infectivity are unknowns during the early days but the messaging has to be reviewed as our knowledge improves. The FACE and SAPCE parts for the slogans were good - the hands less so. Viral illness in general, such as Norovirus and other GI disturbances were drastically reduced in those winters, so it might have been effective overall in protecting the NHS, but not necessarily from COVID-19.

Now, on a plane I take the view that a few crumbs aren't great but highly unlikely to cause my immune system to activate a response. On the other hand Im not going to sit in a wet seat for an hour or more. It could be water or urine, it will be uncomfortable and could irritate or cause skin breakdown, damage my personal electronics or clothes. That said, if someone did cause a seat to be wet on a LHR-JNB (for example) and the crew did not know, or the cleaning team missed it, it could well be dry by boarding given the long turns and local temperatures. Once the seat dries, I would never know and any bacteria or viral pathogens would likely be dehydrated or non infective anymore.

Lets not even think what could be on the seats of a taxi/uber, especially on a Sunday morning with a strong smell of fabric cleaner. Ignorance truly is bliss.
TBH, it's not the fact that it's a sock there. I know that, unless I touch it and it's got flakes of skin infected with Ebola, I'm not likely to get owt from it. (working with some of the most eminent immunologists in the world on Covid over the last 2 years has taught me that). But, it simply shouldn't be there, especially when BA bang on about their cleaning. A quick opening of the door would have removed that issue. The crew were completely grossed out by its prescence. It's not so much the item, but the exposure of the level of cleaning at a time when BA state they are cleaning more. Having been round the US on AA for the past week, (and not having had a chance to log on to FT in that time) I have noticed that they are at least doing a relatively competent job of cleaning, at least on their short haul and transcon. I shall see what their Long Haul to London is like very shortly (same class of service and seat, but a 773 not a 772). But I bet it's better than BA's effort on my outbound!
the810 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Have you flown on Lufthansa?!
I've had a sock waiting for me on boarding on Lufthansa in Business Class. The FA was aghast when I pointed it out though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.