using more than one BA companion voucher

Old Feb 1, 22, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
using more than one BA companion voucher

I have two BA companion vouchers from my BA Amex premium - one from before the rules changed last summer and one just now. In BA they show as "BA American Express Companion Voucher" for the pre 2022 one and "BA American Express Premium Plus Companion Voucher" for the recently gained one. However I can only select one at a time (was hoping to use for two couples). I assume this can be done but I will need to do via the phone?
Old Feb 1, 22, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I’m guessing you need to call as the two vouchers are working differently. A good agent can pull the 4 seats at the same time and apply the vouchers one by one but it is possible that you ending up with two PNR. I’m not 100% on that one but I would call.
Old Feb 1, 22, 11:58 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Don't think you can use one of each flavour together at the same time - see here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...amex-companion

16. Only Companion Vouchers of the same type can be combined and redeemed on one Reward Flight booking. (e.g. If a Cardmember holds a British Airways American Express Companion Voucher earned pre 1 September 2021 and a British Airways American Express Premium Plus Companion Voucher earned after 1 September 2021 they will need to be redeemed on separate bookings.
Old Feb 1, 22, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both. I wonder if an agent can combine the bookings - i.e. make two bookings seperately and then combine into one PNR as Krisz suggests. Otherwise doing it twice over (assuming 4 redemption seats are there) will have to be the way to go.
Old Feb 1, 22, 1:42 pm

This is a big of a pain if you intend to use the vouchers to take 3 people with you.

that will be impossible by the looks of it.
Old Feb 1, 22, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by buzby22 View Post
I wonder if an agent can combine the bookings - i.e. make two bookings seperately and then combine into one PNR as Krisz suggests. Otherwise doing it twice over (assuming 4 redemption seats are there) will have to be the way to go.
You can't do it twice over, because if you make separate bookings you must be one of the passengers on each booking. If you want to take three people with you, it must be one booking with all four of you, with the vouchers operating as a 4-4-2.

So your best bet is to phone and ask whether the agent can do what you would like. Even in the best case scenario, I expect the availability rules to be the more restrictive (ie on the basis of the old-style voucher).
Old Feb 2, 22, 12:18 am

I thought it was pretty clear, from the information provided when the new vouchers were announced/introduced, that it was not possible to combine old and new vouchers. I haven’t seen suggestions that anyone has managed to work around this by ringing up and speaking to a “friendly” agent - if you have any luck with this do report back!
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Feb 2, 22, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
It is possible to do over the phone, but they will apply the more restrictive conditions from the old voucher to the entire booking, so you must have reward space available, depart from the UK only etc.
Old Feb 2, 22, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
How strange. Not sure if it was an experienced agent using their magic, but I have used both voucher types in one PNR for our family summer holiday this year. It was done over the phone.

Maybe because the more restrictive constraints weren't a problem (we used a joker) and we were departing UK anyway, it was fine.
Starrysteph likes this.
Old Feb 2, 22, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I expect it will be ok as the old style voucher isnt more restrictive in what we plan to do anyway. Departing Uk etc.
Old Feb 2, 22, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by i_concur View Post
This is a big of a pain if you intend to use the vouchers to take 3 people with you.

that will be impossible by the looks of it.
Sidetracking slightly, but if you use 2 vouchers, does that mean
  • 3 people (including yourself) can travel for the cost of a single set of Avios.
  • 4 people (including yourself) can travel for the cost of 2 sets of Avios
  • Either of the above
Old Feb 2, 22, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by zen100 View Post
  • 4 people (including yourself) can travel for the cost of 2 sets of Avios

this. I think. Plus sone shenanigans with household accounts abd friends and family lists
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
How strange. Not sure if it was an experienced agent using their magic, but I have used both voucher types in one PNR for our family summer holiday this year. It was done over the phone.

Maybe because the more restrictive constraints weren't a problem (we used a joker) and we were departing UK anyway, it was fine.
So you managed to make a booking applying 2 different vouchers? Can I ask if the vouchers were in the same name? We have three vouchers currently. 2 old and 1 new ‘premium’ one. One old style voucher expires in July this year leaving us 1 old and 1 new which we cannot use together. This essentially makes our other ‘old’ style voucher useless as there are 5 in our family. So disappointing that we can’t make a booking now having earnt the vouchers and saved avios. Would be very grateful if you could explain how you managed your booking please? Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by buzby22 View Post
Thanks - I expect it will be ok as the old style voucher isnt more restrictive in what we plan to do anyway. Departing Uk etc.
Did you get anywhere with your booking? Currently in a catch 22 situation with our vouchers and would really like to find a way to use them! Thanks!

Search this Thread