Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Misleading and Deceptive Redemption Price Quotes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Misleading and Deceptive Redemption Price Quotes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by cauchy
Looks like BA has been fined $40k for this before -- https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/eo-2016-3-9
Interesting that at the time, they claimed the error was limited to flights operated by US:

In mitigation, British Airways states that the circumstances that gave rise to the Complaint were caused by an inadvertent programming error that affected redemption ticket sales on a limited number of routes available on ba.com involving sectors operated by US Airways.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:17 am

I would book the awards, while taking screenshots, and ask for a refund.
OGG flyer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I’d disagree that ‘it is not a price quote’. After all it says ‘Total Price’ and quotes a price. I’d call that a quote.

Yes it says the exact cost is on the next page, but frankly if the exact price has absolutely no bearing to the price shown on the selection page, there shouldn’t be a price shown on that page.
This is at the bottom of the flight selection page:

The prices shown are intended to help you choose your most appropriate journey. The exact total will be shown after you have selected your outbound flight and may be higher than the amount shown on this page.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by erik123
This will not work. Once you have paid you have accepted the revised price/offer.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Prospero
Yes, BA.com is not accurately quoting the taxes/fees/charges when I select the flight.

The example below is for a one way LAX-LHR in World Traveller

Provisional quote:

Then the confirmed quote

and for some weird reason the price I see is 30k avios + £75 - I guess the new RFS scam spreading on long haul trips...

Last edited by megaloman; Jan 30, 2022 at 2:10 am
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:05 am

Has long since been the same on GRU-LHR - for Business Class fees & taxes double after supposed "Total Price" to over GBP200.
Just received an email from Sean Doyle asserting that "the spirit of transparency... is the ethos we’re striving to promote at British Airways in 2022"

Interestingly if book same BA flight/cabin via AA Miles it's only $12.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Why is this so hard for them to get right? Is the pricing that dynamic, or subject to change? I've never had any sort of variations like this with any other airline I have booked with so why is this a "well-known" peculiarity that they seem unable to fix?
HMPS likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
It does have the feel of a bait and switch type tactic.

If the price on the first page is the base fare without taxes, etc. what information are they missing at that point which prevents them from supplying a more accurate figure?
tattikat2 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by erik123
On which ground? The words 'Your price quote' appear on the next page with the correct amount.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I’d disagree that ‘it is not a price quote’. After all it says ‘Total Price’ and quotes a price. I’d call that a quote.

Yes it says the exact cost is on the next page, but frankly if the exact price has absolutely no bearing to the price shown on the selection page, there shouldn’t be a price shown on that page.
Which is exactly why we have long warned about this here, and warned about it repeatedly. It doesn't help those who haven't read FT discussions before, but at least regular FTers can remain aware of it.
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Why is this so hard for them to get right? Is the pricing that dynamic, or subject to change?
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
It does have the feel of a bait and switch type tactic.
I haven't dug in to what the OP has found this time, but on previous occasions, the behaviour has had the hallmarks of the first page using some faulty/stored information about TFC that is long out of date. The firm price quote on the second page, of course is always calculated in real time.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Seems deceptive to me, as it may cause people to behave a certain way prior to landing at the final page, decisions that may not be made the same way if the true price was reflected on that page.

If the price can't be displayed correctly then just don't display it.
Silver Fox, HMPS and louie-m like this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Being based in London I sort of have to use BA as it has a virtual monopoly ...
We've been through this one before, too. There are very few routes from London on which you cannot choose to fly on a different airline - very often on another non-stop flight or another itinerary with the same number of connections, and often other oneworld airlines.

BA only has a "virtual monopoly" if you insist on flying the same airline all the time. You may want to do that because of the extra benefits from doing so, but you would then need to recognise that it's your choice to accept all the aggravations that come with choosing to do business with BA. Unless your travel patterns are very unusual, or your employer is paying and gives you no options, nobody is forcing you to fly BA.
argonath and etiene like this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
On which ground? The words 'Your price quote' appear on the next page with the correct amount.
I believe UK price transparency legislation requires the all-in (headline) price to be displayed.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
FWIW this is what comes up on iberia.com

Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Another crazy thing is that the same itinerary is initially priced at 32500 Avios + $490.93 if ba.com is opened on Firefox or Microsoft Edge vs 32500 Avios + $ 320.93 on Chrome!!!! One couldn't make this up!
masmadrid likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.