FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA & AA JFK T8 joint operations to begin Dec 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2066596-ba-aa-jfk-t8-joint-operations-begin-dec-2022-a.html)

steveholt Jan 25, 2022 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Acid (Post 33933893)
Maybe we get proper TSA Pre benefits at T8. At T7(at least in 2019, we still had to remove laptops etc. given how they handled TSA Pre and the small priority security line didn't have it at all)

T8's Pre hours are very inconsistent. I'm hoping they'll be timed well for London flights, but I haven't been able to count on Pre being open at T8 in the way that I can, say, in T4 or T5.

dcmike Jan 26, 2022 12:54 am

I hope it remains Most Exclusive Lounge and everyone just calls it MEL.

vintagepilot Jan 26, 2022 1:00 am

I am not filled with confidence that the new 'most exclusive lounge' will be like the CCR. Is it more likely to be like current FF dining or Concorde dining - ie F only?

zen100 Jan 26, 2022 1:05 am

Originally Posted by samthemanct (Post 33934732)
all I ever asked of BA when flying on them is to be treated the way AA treats me, and my family when they are with me. BA doesn't do that. I have lots of friends who fly who agree with me, they may not post, but rest assured, we don't fly BA if we can avoid it. BA at JFK in T7 is anti AA flyers, and that has been my experience.

There are plenty of small items where BA give Golds (OWE), which AA do not give, to their own EXP or OWE, such as extra baggage for everyone on the booking, 4 bags in First, free seat selection for friends on other bookings, arrivals lounge access on long haul economy. I don't expect (or get) the same benefits on AA tickets.

Edit: All I ask is that AA treats me according to their commitment as part of the Oneworld alliance. And from my experience, they do.

DYKWIA Jan 26, 2022 1:21 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 33935115)
Anyhow how this particular arrange to works remains to be seen. As I always take the morning flight, it should be quiet enough whichever Lounge one is entitled to sit.

Err.... you do realise the lounges will be shared with AA? With all their early morning flights :D

Irishtraveler Jan 26, 2022 2:34 am

CCR will be a loss at JFK I personally have never been in this lounge but have been in CCR at LHR before.

ExpatExp Jan 26, 2022 4:54 am

Originally Posted by samthemanct (Post 33934732)
all I ever asked of BA when flying on them is to be treated the way AA treats me…

I would be so pleased if AA were to treat me as well as BA treats me.

Originally Posted by Jamesbatraveller (Post 33933910)
BA seem to be planning to take “enhancements” to the next level by “enhancing” away dedicated British Airways lounges and a uniquely British experience in their most important overseas destination/departure airport. Co-location at LHR T3 has never meant AA removing their American offering… that corner of a foreign airport that is forever England and attributes a unique USP BA offering being lost on this most important route is a sad loss and retrograde step.

A fair point, I agree. I appreciate that I can fly BA from anywhere in the world and rely on that British experience. I hope this is maintained at JFK.

taylopet Jan 26, 2022 7:09 am

JFK Terminal 7 is one of the last things to remain from when I started by BA flying career in the 1990s. Coming in last week though we were stuck on the plane as the jet bridge was having mechanical issues, after 30mins of trying, the plane was backed out to another gate. Apart from the investment in lounges of the past couple of years terminal 7 itself feels dated. Having used Terminal 8 quite a lot since it opened I do appreciate the more modern, open feel although remote stands does not sound appealing.

As an aside, when arriving at T7 in the late 90s (and maybe beyond) there used to be a large poster of Concorde on one of the walls with "2hrs 59mins" underneath it. Does anyone know if a print of that photo is available?

JAXBA Jan 26, 2022 7:36 am

Originally Posted by taylopet (Post 33936859)
As an aside, when arriving at T7 in the late 90s (and maybe beyond) there used to be a large poster of Concorde on one of the walls with "2hrs 59mins" underneath it. Does anyone know if a print of that photo is available?

This one?
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0d82babb7.jpeg
https://artsandculture.google.com/as...LwFUS5z3d_-jwQ

13901 Jan 26, 2022 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Airprox (Post 33933981)
There will be 2 new contact stands added at the end of the current terminal, plus 3 remote stands for BA to bus passengers to.

So two stands with jetty and 3 remotes vs, what, 12 on-pier with T7? Are AA/whoever does stand management in T8 going to give access to BA to "their" stands or will BA lose quite a large number of stands for their services?

KARFA Jan 26, 2022 8:21 am

I think the context is also that AA are reducing routes from JFK as they are de-prioritising it as a hub. So yes on the surface it looks pretty rubbish and that many BA flights will now be remote - but it may not quite be that bad.

I can't see why BA wouldn't be able to use quite a few of the other contact stands on the main T8 building as there are often A350/777 parked up on several of them, but perhaps BA will want to keep their flights around a certain set of gates which are nominally for their use.

13901 Jan 26, 2022 8:27 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 33937034)
I think the context is also that AA are reducing routes from JFK as they are de-prioritising it as a hub. So yes on the surface it looks pretty rubbish and that many BA flights will now be remote - but it may not quite be that bad.

I can't see why BA wouldn't be able to use quite a few of the other contact stands on the main T8 building as there are often A350/777 parked up on several of them, but perhaps BA will want to keep their flights around a certain set of gates which are nominally for their use.

I agree, however in some places in America some gates are, as I understand it, 'reserved' for use by specific airlines and you shall not go there or mayhem will ensue. Don't know if JFK is the same, though T8 is AA's own so they might do whatever they want with it (I guess).

Anyway, it'll be weird not seeing T7 anymore but I can't say that I'll miss it. Especially "downstairs". It had some seriously rickety bag room with a screening system that just wouldn't fly in Europe. Oh, and I saw the biggest rat of my life in there. Could've harnessed it and use it in lieu of the little tugs that push baggage carts around.

SpurMan Jan 26, 2022 8:39 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 33933920)
Next you will doubtless tell me why they do not eat cake.

As I understand it, they do not eat cake as they prefer Brioche, and that will only be served in the J lounge...

I do wonder which set of rules will be applied to the lounges, AA or BA, or some hybrid that will confuse all and sundry!.

RB211 Jan 26, 2022 9:06 am

Originally Posted by SpurMan (Post 33937085)
As I understand it, they do not eat cake as they prefer Brioche, and that will only be served in the J lounge...

I do wonder which set of rules will be applied to the lounges, AA or BA, or some hybrid that will confuse all and sundry!.

The cake is a lie! And the latter, obviously!

rb211.

Airprox Jan 26, 2022 10:21 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 33937049)
I agree, however in some places in America some gates are, as I understand it, 'reserved' for use by specific airlines and you shall not go there or mayhem will ensue. Don't know if JFK is the same, though T8 is AA's own so they might do whatever they want with it (I guess).

You've answered your own question already there, T8 is owned by AA and is completely theirs to do as they wish with.