Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA & AA JFK T8 joint operations to begin Dec 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
New T8 lounges have been shown to the press and will open on 1 December.

For access rule: see post 161 - Basically, access follows pre-move BA and AA rules for JFK: FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA & AA JFK T8 joint operations to begin Dec 2022

JFK T8 Lounge Map
Greenwich Lounge (former AA Flagship Lounge), above Gate 12: BAEC Silver and Club World
Soho Lounge, above Gates 14-20: BAEC Gold
Chelsea Lounge, above Gates 14-20: BAEC GGL, First

For food and drink,
- Chelsea gets restaurant style food, comprehensive Champagne menu with 14 different Champagne inlcluding Krug, Ruinart, etc, 3 sparkling wines, and cocktail menu as well as a wine table
- Soho gets food that can be ordered with QR codes (as in GF) and a cocktail bar
- Greenwich gets self-service wine table, drinks, and buffet food.
For Chelsea menus for December 2022: see post 181 FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA & AA JFK T8 joint operations to begin Dec 2022

Specific lounge threads
There are now lounge specific threads for all three lounges:
Chelsea: British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8 - FlyerTalk Forums
Soho: British Airways and American Airlines Soho Lounge - JFK Terminal 8 - FlyerTalk Forums
Greenwich: British Airways and American Airlines Greenwich Lounge - JFK Terminal 8 - FlyerTalk Forums

External resources
Zach Griff (TPG), 29 Nov 2022

Print Wikipost

BA & AA JFK T8 joint operations to begin Dec 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Looks like like the Chelsea Lounge is going to be windowless. A premium lounge without a view or any natural light is not a premium lounge. Sorry.
Yes from the initial pictures seems to be the case. We are still missing the images from the fireplace area, but generally it does seem a lot of the lounge, in particular the showpiece - the Champagne bar will be without natural light which is a huge oversight.

When you think about about the great views of the tarmac and how much natural light Greenwich/FL/FFD has they'll likely have quite a bit of negative feedback. I think in the images we've seen the dining room looks to be behind the champagne bar, so it's unlikely the case that it could be in the FFD area or something.
ryanbriar and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Also according to this report it seems CK have been demoted? https://onemileatatime.com/news/jfk-...8-new-lounges/

Chelsea Lounge New York JFK

British Airways first class passengers
American Airlines Flagship First passengers (including on eligible transcon flights)
American Airlines Flagship Business Plus passengers (this is a special bundle that can be purchased)
American Airlines Concierge Key members on Flagship itineraries
British Airways Gold Guest List members

Soho Lounge New York JFK

American AAdvantage Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members on Flagship itineraries
oneworld Emerald members with foreign programs on any same day oneworld itinerary
American Airlines Concierge Key members on non-Flagship itineraries
I don't think so as CK can access Flagship First Class dining generally. I think CK received some invitation after pandemic but CK can only get into the Flagship First lounge but not the dining area. So I guess AA had to draw a new line for CK which I think sensible. So if a CK travels on any Flagship product which can be now Flagship Business they will get access but if its just a cheap domestic economy or domestic first then won't.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:43 pm

Im guessing the floor space for this ‘Chelsea Lounge’ will need to be huge otherwise could it be the latest to become a ‘zoo’ ? I would have preferred a separate BA CCR replacement equivalent rather than shared. Too much amalgamation and things ultimately getting busier.
Markie and 81romeo like this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:58 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Timing wise though, BA passengers are usually going to be there from around 4pm onwards. At that time would the number of AA passengers entitled to also use it be that many?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by gw76
Im guessing the floor space for this ‘Chelsea Lounge’ will need to be huge otherwise could it be the latest to become a ‘zoo’ ? I would have preferred a separate BA CCR replacement equivalent rather than shared. Too much amalgamation and things ultimately getting busier.
It isn't huge. The Soho Lounge is much larger, and has windows and natural light, but the Chelsea is a lovely space. I imagine hope they will have done some estimates of how many people they will get coming through in peak periods.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I don't think the Chelsea will be that busy really.

The business plus fares ,I suspect , won't be that many customers. the transcon F will disappear over time.

And add in that AA have drastically reduced transcons from jfk lax/SFO over the past few years, I'm thinking the Chelsea will be on the quiet side.

Im not a huge fan of center / (circle bars), but better than no bar.

But, nostalgia and memories of the CCR t7 I suspect will linger for some time for me.
KARFA and crazy8534 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Krisz
I don't think so as CK can access Flagship First Class dining generally. I think CK received some invitation after pandemic but CK can only get into the Flagship First lounge but not the dining area. So I guess AA had to draw a new line for CK which I think sensible. So if a CK travels on any Flagship product which can be now Flagship Business they will get access but if its just a cheap domestic economy or domestic first then won't.
Just for clarification, 1) it's Flagship First Dining (FFD), 2) There are no Flagship First Lounges, just Flagship Lounges..
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: Mucci, Untappd 8000+
My_head_is_spinning (named for your reaction after you hear their news) let me in on Chelsea’s Champagne menu:

https://cdn.businesstraveller.com/wp...lded-pages.pdf

Credit to Tom where credit is due.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Krisz
Yes good call out. I thought CKs had free rein of FFD, instead they get passes which they can use when not flying flagship routes. With this in mind it makes sense they have the distinction on access.

I think you're saying it could be a zoo of F flyers because it won't just be BA any longer? Or is it about the GGL / CK access?

The first is valid. It may become the case. Though in my experience it was rare for FFD to be full more than a few times a day and even then it would only sit about 40 pax if every seat is taken? So given the reduction of AA F flights that should drop. Then the CCR was never that busy either so given the images we've seen of the Chelsea it looks like it will be able to hold 2x maybe 3x the combined pax of FFD and CCR (considering there should be more images of areas we haven't seen). So I guess we'll find out..

As for GGLs / CK, maybe someone has a better idea of how many non F GGLs you had in the JFK CCR generally, and how many CK you may have traveling flagship routes, but I wouldn't assume more than 3-4 pass through each hour?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sandy Hopper
My_head_is_spinning (named for your reaction after you hear their news) let me in on Chelsea’s Champagne menu:

https://cdn.businesstraveller.com/wp...lded-pages.pdf

Credit to Tom where credit is due.
Oh wow. I had a Suspicion the Krug may return!

That is a very impressive drinks list.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Looks like like the Chelsea Lounge is going to be windowless. A premium lounge without a view or any natural light is not a premium lounge. Sorry.
I have to say I kind of agree with this.. the windowless concept reminds me of the CCR bars at SIN or DXB (If I am recalling correctly) which were lifeless and underused.. I'm sure the throughput of passengers here will keep the Chelsea lounge busy, but with no view..! I admit am disappointed.

WHAT on earth is that champagne menu? I don't believe for a second it will be all available? Any more info here?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
SQ's new The Private Room in Singapore is also windowless. Though windows are always nice, at the end, the quietness of the place and the service won me over.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Oh wow. I had a Suspicion the Krug may return!

That is a very impressive drinks list.
Quite. I’m sure that will make up for the lack of a window…I’d certainly cope, if I ever got the chance of entry…
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by bafan
Quite. I’m sure that will make up for the lack of a window…I’d certainly cope, if I ever got the chance of entry…
After the first bottle I guess we'll forget about it.

But yes given the large selection of champagne I guess it'll be a little easier for them to be 'out' of 1 or 2 of them. I assume Moet will be overstocked.
Sandy Hopper likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
That champagne menu is very impressive, but was it thrown together by the intern? Bizarre for them to be putting a prosecco and Mexican sparkling under the 'Champagne' subheading when everyone knows that isn't right. Also the 'Traditional Style' and 'Unique Styles' headings just seem completely specious. Then under 'Sparkling from Around the World' they list poor old Lanson Black (obviously an actual Champagne), while the prosecco which they list under the actual Champagne section doesn't feature. There are more issues but I can't dwell on it any longer, this kind of thing is petty but it drives me nuts and is a reflection of the level of attention to detail they are lacking.

There are a couple of other points on the food menu which are similar, where they've tried to be 'fancy' but actually are just wrong and lazy, like calling smoked salmon on a bagel 'salmon carpaccio'. I could go on but I'll spare you.

Does anyone remember when BA launched the champagne bars in the Flounges at T5 LHR and they slowly but surely degraded their offering? My money is on that happening here, the question is how long will it take.

/endrant

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.