Wiki Posts
Search

FTV additional payment taken

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:37 am
Original Poster

FTV additional payment taken

Hi everyone,

Further to my previous post in the call centre thread, I did eventually manage to get through and make my booking. The agent was lovely and efficient and assured me that there was nothing additional to pay which I expected. The original flight was for myself and my husband using Avios and an Amex 241, and was a return to Gibraltar- we paid Ł100 fees. The new flight with the ftv is to Vienna, off peak and also listed as reward flight saver. All flights are Club Europe.

The e-ticket has just come through and it shows they are charging an additional Ł72.40 (this is highlighted in red) which does not make sense and is against what the agent said. Before I waste another few days of my life getting through to them I want to try and understand why they are charging this and if it is correct.

Does anyone have any idea?

Many Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Has anything been taken from your credit card? That’s what you need to check.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Not so far (just looked), but the e-ticket only came through this morning. Do you think although it shows a payment they won’t actually claim anything?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
I think the payment bit is always in red (?) - Does it says Payment Total - or Total New Payment?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Hi it says payment total, although it doesn’t match what we have actually paid.

Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:28 am

If they have ticketed it then they would have taken a payment and it should already show as pending on your cc. I suspect they aren’t actually taking anything, but keep an eye on you cc for the next few days just in case.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks I will give it a few days before trying to phone to see what happens.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Soupey202
Hi it says payment total, although it doesn’t match what we have actually paid.

Thanks.
Payment total is the value of the ticket rather than the payment taken at the time of issue. If your FTV was of at least the value of the sum shown in red under Payment total, then there was nothing to pay and no additional payment would have been taken other than the FTV voucher itself. If you look a few lines above the one in red, there may be a line which indicates the value of the voucher used. If that value is at least as high as the line in red, then no payment is taken. I do not think that there is anywhere on the e-ticket that actually states what payment was taken when issuing the e-ticket, just the value of the ticket. You can deduce what value was taken by deducting the value of the FTV or eVoucher from the "Payment total". At any rate, that is the way it works on the ticket that I recently paid using an eVoucher as part-payment.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Payment total is the value of the ticket rather than the payment taken at the time of issue. If your FTV was of at least the value of the sum shown in red under Payment total, then there was nothing to pay and no additional payment would have been taken other than the FTV voucher itself. If you look a few lines above the one in red, there may be a line which indicates the value of the voucher used. If that value is at least as high as the line in red, then no payment is taken. I do not think that there is anywhere on the e-ticket that actually states what payment was taken when issuing the e-ticket, just the value of the ticket. You can deduce what value was taken by deducting the value of the FTV or eVoucher from the "Payment total". At any rate, that is the way it works on the ticket that I recently paid using an eVoucher as part-payment.
That’s often true when using an evoucher online. For an offline FTV (which the OP had) the amounts shown in the email eticket I find are not always quite as straight forward.
NickB and jerry a. laska like this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The new flight with the ftv is to Vienna, off peak and also listed as reward flight saver. ...

The e-ticket has just come through and it shows they are charging an additional Ł72.40 (this is highlighted in red) ...
I know that I often sound like a broken record, but one thing to do is to use the Finnair site to send yourself an e-ticket receipt.

In the "Taxes" line, this should give a breakdown of the total TFC payable for the ticket, even if it's an RFS ticket on which BA only takes the RFS fee from the customer.

In the line "Form of payment", it should say what BA is actually charging you. When booking an RFS ticket from scratch, this should show you the amount the BA is actually charging to the credit card. If, on this rebooked VIE ticket, it says 0.00, I would just forget about this for the moment, and simply have a look at your next credit card statement when it arrives to make sure.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Just a quick update, the amounts shown on Finnair didn’t match either my original payment nor the new figure quoted BUT there has been nothing taken from my credit card which I would have expected by now so I am assuming they won’t actually be taking any money although I will keep an eye on the credit card.

Many thanks to everyone that took the time to reply to me.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a quick update, the amounts shown on Finnair didn’t match either my original payment nor the new figure quoted ...
What did the "Form of payment" line say?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:31 am

Just a quick update, the amounts shown on Finnair didn’t match either my original payment nor the new figure quoted BUT there has been nothing taken from my credit card which I would have expected by now so I am assuming they won’t actually be taking any money although I will keep an eye on the credit card.

Many thanks to everyone that took the time to reply to me.
This has happened to me twice in the last couple of months. The amount in red has never been charged to my card. It seems to be some sort of notional charge for BA's use. Keep your eyes on your CC bills.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
What did the "Form of payment" line say?
It gives a partial credit card number (the rest is x’s) which is mine and then says paid at the end.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It gives a partial credit card number (the rest is x’s) which is mine and then says paid at the end.
Great - if it doesn't show a figure there, I would expect nothing to be taken (as you were told).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.