Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways won't move our paid seat assignment to new booking same flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Booked an award trip on American AAdvantage. Paid a small amount for seat assignments on a short 2 hour leg on BA.

Later, I discovered that American was offering a Web Only Special that would save me 10,000 miles on the same flights. Rebooked it for the lower cost (haven't cancelled the first booking yet). However BA refuses to move our seat assignment to the new booking.

Their perspective is, "Tough luck! Doesn't matter if you're still on the same flight, but it's a different booking number".

My perspective is, "I paid for seats on a specific BA flight, I'll be on that flight, and I expect them to give me what I paid for".

So far, having zero luck with BA. It's not much money, but it's the principle of the issue. Anyone see a way around this?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Stockjock
Their perspective is, "Tough luck! Doesn't matter if you're still on the same flight, but it's a different booking number".

My perspective is, "I paid for seats on a specific BA flight, I'll be on that flight, and I expect them to give me what I paid for".

So far, having zero luck with BA. It's not much money, but it's the principle of the issue. Anyone see a way around this?
I believe you have paid for seats for a flight through a specific booking, not a flight in general for any booking that may include that flight! An example of why this is the case: if one purchases a full fare refundable BA business class ticket then, regardless of status, one has seat selection at the time of booking. So one could book that flight, then book the cheapest possible business class ticket for that flight and demand that BA move one's seat reservation over. That's not how it works. (There are other examples too, but I won't bore you with them.) When you paid for the seats you made an agreement that includes the restriction above, even if not explicitly stated.

You could keep the old booking until you can select seats for the new booking (OLC at the latest) and with the new booking open, cancel the old and then select the now free seats from the old booking. There is risk, in that there is a window of opportunity for others to pick your released seats in the seconds it takes for you to select them, but it is a possible way round it.

Others may be along shortly with their opinions, and other possible ways round it.

rb211.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After a lot of clicking--->https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ing-your-seat#
Refunds
  • Paid seating is non-refundable, unless:
    • British Airways changes your seat to an alternative seat and you are unsatisfied with the alternative seat;
    • British Airways cancels your flight;
    • you become ineligible to sit in an exit row and you inform us at least 48 hours in advance of scheduled departure of your flight; or
    • you have paid for a cabin upgrade and do not wish to pay the difference to select your seat in the upgraded cabin.
  • For the avoidance of doubt, paid seating will not be refunded if you:
    • cancel your flight;
    • are involuntarily upgraded;
    • are considered unsuitable to sit in the seat type you have selected;
    • accept a voucher towards a future booking that includes paid seating (see further the relevant voucher Terms and Conditions); or
    • have booked a British Airways operated flight marketed by another carrier and choose to move to a different flight.
  • On British Airways marketed and operated flights, if, in accordance with your ticket type, you choose to move to a different flight, you will be entitled to choose an equivalent seat on your new flight. If an equivalent seat is not available, any sums previously paid for seating will be forfeited and will not be refunded. Alternatively, you may choose a more expensive seat and pay the difference in price.
  • On flights marketed by other carriers, if you choose to move to a different flight, you will not be entitled to choose an equivalent seat on the new flight and you will not be entitled to a refund.
  • You have 30 days after the last flight in your itinerary to apply for a refund of paid seating, where due. Please submit your refund application online using our seating refund form. We cannot process refund applications at the airport or on board.
  • Unless otherwise stated, we will only make a refund to the credit card used to pay for the paid seating, or in the case of Avios payment, to the Executive Club Member’s Avios account.
    orbitmic, markle, Yoshi212 and 5 others like this.
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
    Im with BA on this. You have paid for two separate bookings on the same flight, one of which has a paid seat reservation, the other not.

Unfortunately as the post above states paid seat reservations are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. This is exactly what you will have to do with the first booking containing the seat reservation if you choose to fly on the cheaper second booking.
    becks1, LETTERBOY, mrow and 4 others like this.
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
    I’m not sure how this would work on a FTV, could this be an option that keeps your seat selection value for a future flight?

Hopefully someone on here might have some experience.
    hydro001 likes this.
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:44 am

Why care. It's 99% certain you will be able to sit together. FYI - This is typical on other carriers also.
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
    Originally Posted by navylad
    I’m not sure how this would work on a FTV, could this be an option that keeps your seat selection value for a future flight?

Hopefully someone on here might have some experience.
    Happy to be corrected if I am wrong but as this is AA paper, its probably ineligible for an FTV.
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:24 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
    Why would anyone pay for ASR?

It is a new reservation and a consequence of you cancelling and rebooking / move on!
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:28 am
    Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
    BA is correct. And you currently have two bookings for the same flight?
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:28 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
    Wait until Later

Originally Posted by LondonElite
    BA is correct. And you currently have two bookings for the same flight?
    One thing I have learnt with booking non refundable Seats or Baggage .For seats wait until 80% of your desired seating is full : [Although many European Airlines with expandable Business Class is challenging. : . Also dont book Bags until you are 100% sure of what you actually Need. Lessons learned from Flying Spirit in USA.
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
    Originally Posted by RB211
    You could keep the old booking until you can select seats for the new booking (OLC at the latest) and with the new booking open, cancel the old and then select the now free seats from the old booking. There is risk, in that there is a window of opportunity for others to pick your released seats in the seconds it takes for you to select them, but it is a possible way round it.
    This probably will not work. Since this is a web special, the lower fare will have to be booked within the maximum 5-day hold AA allows. And AA will have the FF# for both tickets as they are awards and will not allow the duplicate booking to remain - they have mechanisms to cancel duplicate bookings. (I doubt the second would ever TICKET with the first still intact. Also, the OP may find the second PNR has already been cancelled if it has gone overnight as it is a duplicate booking.)
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:48 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Unfortunately, OP does not have a leg to stand on on this one. I understand the disappointment, but the rules are crystal clear, and in this case, they are not in the OP's favour.
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
    Originally Posted by BLHD
    Happy to be corrected if I am wrong but as this is AA paper, its probably ineligible for an FTV.
    Ah, sorry I though the first booking made was with BA and the second with AA. My bad.
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
    This probably will not work. Since this is a web special, the lower fare will have to be booked within the maximum 5-day hold AA allows. And AA will have the FF# for both tickets as they are awards and will not allow the duplicate booking to remain - they have mechanisms to cancel duplicate bookings. (I doubt the second would ever TICKET with the first still intact. Also, the OP may find the second PNR has already been cancelled if it has gone overnight as it is a duplicate booking.)
    Ah - thanks for the info.

rb211.
    Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:19 pm
    In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
    I imagine that since paid seats are not refundable is because the money goes into a special account immediately open for use by the carrier e.g a special beer fund for the IT department who have now alread drank the value

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.