Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and inter European travel. Terrible.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOH
I have to disagree here. I've taken some 18 LCC sectors on U2, FR and Wizz (the three biggest LCC in Europe) since around June last year and all HBO only. With all of them I was able to go straight through security and not have to either upload anything or stand in a check-in queue. Airports used were STN, LGW, BRS, LTN from the UK and on return, from MXP, LIN, GOA, AMS, TRN, NCE, GDN and BCN.
And I have flown HBO on FR from MRS and from KRK and I was required to go via the check-in desks. That is the problem with basing oneself on one's own anecdotal experience and assuming it to be a universal truth.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:18 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
And I have flown HBO on FR from MRS and from KRK and I was required to go via the check-in desks. That is the problem with basing oneself on one's own anecdotal experience and assuming it to be a universal truth.
Which is why my anecdotal experience was based on the 18 LCC sectors I have flown. It was pretty clear
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOH
Which is why my anecdotal experience was based on the 18 LCC sectors I have flown. It was pretty clear
... and yet this did not prevent you to pronounce on the matter in a general manner, as if what you said reflected the practice of all LCCs at all airports rather than a subset of these.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:10 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
... and yet this did not prevent you to pronounce on the matter in a general manner, as if what you said reflected the practice of all LCCs at all airports rather than a subset of these.
Try again, I made reference to three specific LCC's I had used. Notwithstanding that, LCCs would appear to be far better than BA in this respect because if Verifly fails (which seems to pretty common according to anecdotal experiences on here) then you 100% have to go to a check-in queue because BA does not do any GA checking of docs for HBO fares.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:44 pm

BA struggles enough with on-time performance as it is… checking docs at the gate would be a nightmare waiting to happen given the issues people have. The T5 model of conformance with right-to-fly checks pushes all this back to pre-security, resulting in a cleaner boarding process.

And something a lot of people are missing in this thread is the volume of connecting traffic BA carries vs. the LCCs. If you have exclusively P2P customers, you get a lot more flexibility, but if you’re connecting you’ve got several countries and their requirements to consider at the same time. Imagine the fuss there would be on this thread of docs were checked twice at each boarding gate… whereas on BA, once ADOC is set, that’s it for the whole journey.

Oh and by the way, seeing as it’s needed for balance, I’m 100% success rate with Verifly, where it’s been available.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I have to admit I wonder about the agenda of those who begin threads such as this. If you fly an airline and find the level of service unacceptable to your tastes then surely you simply switch carriers to one that does. Why the need for all the hand wringing, angst and general disgust?
Maybe I am easily pleased but most of the time most of the flights I take within Europe are fine and pretty similar across all airlines. I tend to travel in economy or business depending on length of journey, time of day, frequency and of course price.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by copenhagenBA
Why is this out of interest, Copenhagen also gone to two a day from 7 at its peak.. Is there no demand for travel ?
You are lucky - Oslo is down to three flight pr week in January. And yes, normally demand is low in Jen/Feb, but now it is all time low.

Originally Posted by BOH
The LCC's manage this Covid doc check very well - the only pax that have to join a check-in queue are those that want to check-in a bag, all HBO pax have their docs checked at the gate as part of the boarding process. Why can't BA manage this? I suspect it is part of the union lot, "checking Covid docs is not part of the GA's role so we are not doing it".
My guess is that LCC are point-to-point so just one rule to follow when checking docs which will be fast. BA have a lot of transit-pax and they need to check that you are entitled to the entire journey so would make the gate-check much ore complex and take more time.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by copenhagenBA
There was no seatbelt sign on the whole flight. Lost revenue for BA.
Seatbelts have gone BoB now? I would be much less worried about the lost revenue and more worried about passenger safety. Though surely some experienced or cautious passengers will choose to purchase a seatbelt even if the sign does not illuminate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.